Speakers for Arcam based system

charlesrichardson

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi - some suggestions please for speakers to use in an Arcam FMJ 37 based system. They must be quite close to a wall in a room 21 ft ling by 11ft wide.

I could use PMC DB1i's.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Arcam/PMC are normally considered a great match, though the little DB1is might get a little lost in a room that size without a Sub.

21 ft ling....... that's a big fish *biggrin*

Seriously agree with cnoevil in that you might need a decent subwoofer to supplement bass output.

When you say you could use DB1i's do you mean you already own them?

If you are looking to buy others what is your budget?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:

Seriously agree with cnoevil in that you might need a decent subwoofer to supplement bass output.

21 is not that long my room is 28 long, speakers and bass not lost but I have them firing across the room not down.

BigH said:
Al ears said:

21 is not that long my room is 28 long, speakers and bass not lost but I have them firing across the room not down.

As far as UK modern housing goes 21ft is long. However, it's the 11ft wide that worries my, that is an aukward shape.

OP did not post orientation of speakers so let's hope he comes back with more info.

BigH said:
Al ears said:

As far as UK modern housing goes 21ft is long. However, it's the 11ft wide that worries my, that is an aukward shape.

OP did not post orientation of speakers so let's hope he comes back with more info.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
BigH said:
Al ears said:

but 11 is quite normal, having just moved many rooms were that width, having gone from 16 x 11 to 28 x 11 I have not noticed that much difference, I thought the bass would have less but that's has not been the case.

BigH said:
Al ears said:
BigH said:
Al ears said:

but 11 is quite normal, having just moved many rooms were that width, having gone from 16 x 11 to 28 x 11 I have not noticed that much difference, I thought the bass would have less but that's has not been the case.

Interesting that bigH all the rooms in my house are 'squarer' like 16x13, 18x14 but whatever.

If you say bass is fine I bow to your greater knowledge. OP did not say which way around he intended to use speakers just 'close to rear wall', and I wonder if he already owns them or not as, if he did, surely the easiest thing to do would be for him to have a listen utilising both layouts if possible.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Al. Ok maybe just houses I looked at in this area, 11 foot is ok, I had in last 2 houses, yes ideally 12 would be better. But I don't think it will be a major problem, just get speakers that are happy within 1 foot of rear wall. I think we need more info, from op, what sort of music, what volumes etc.

typing on this forum using an iPad is a nightmare, if I use quote can only type a few words after it, then have to edit about 4 times to complete each msg.

Al ears said:
BigH said:
Al ears said:
BigH said:
Al ears said:

Interesting that bigH all the rooms in my house are 'squarer' like 16x13, 18x14 but whatever.

If you say bass is fine I bow to your greater knowledge. OP did not say which way around he intended to use speakers just 'close to rear wall', and I wonder if he already owns them or not as, if he did, surely the easiest thing to do would be for him to have a listen utilising both layouts if possible.

My living room is 18' x 12' and the DB1i and TB2s are fine firing across the narrow side..

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
"Enough Bass" is subjective and is dependant on - Music genre, personal taste and very often, what you're used to; (as well as room size).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts