Speakers close to wall and Opinions on new Amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Looking for some advice on choosing new speakers, I currently have Acoustic Energy Aegis 1s on Mission Stancette stands. These sound much better when there is space behind them but as i only have a small living room this usually means moving one of them infront of the TV and back again when watchin telly (total headbust!!).

I posted a few months ago when I was looking at buying Monitor Audio BR2s and the general advice was to replace my amplifier a Yamaha ax392 first. Since then I have bought a Debut 11 turntable and the Mission Stancettes, (bargains on ebay) - have rediscovered vinyl and was impressed at how much of an improvements the stancettes were over my flimsy Gale stands.

I now feel the need to upgrade the speakers and amp, other than the BR2s can anyone suggest any other front-ported speakers to consider?

Amplifier, I am thinking of investing in a Marantz PM6002 after reading the latest Whathifi mag but will keep my eye out for a Rotel RA04 on ebay? I am also going to look at the Marantz PM4001 as there only £100 in richersounds.

Any advice or opinions will be greatly appreciated and probably wont be ignored this time.

Love this Site

A

Anonymous

Should of said probably want to spend the same as the BR2s £200 tops really - might able to spend a bit more if I get a cheaper amp but not really sure thats the right way to go.

Having a closer look today and there are actually more front ported speakers than I thought for around this price or less - KEF Q1s - Wharfedale diamonds - Tannoy Sensis DC1, B&W685s are a bit out of my price range.

I want to buy an amp with a phono input so any ideas which speakers will gel best with marantz or rotel? the BR2s seem to be the reviewers favourite but just interested in other opinions

A

Anonymous

You could try the wharfedale diamond 9.1's. they seem like an obvious other choice.Not heard them though.i have heard the BR2's and despite the what hi fi? award i was not blown away by them.

A

Anonymous

Sell a kidney and buy something decent. What's the point in replacing one £200 speaker with another? Buy something used instead and at least you'll get something better. Besides aren't Monitor Audio a 7oaks own-brand these days - you never seem to see them anywhere else.

A

Anonymous

Got the Marantz PM6002 from Richer Sounds last week £230 and I love it!!! - RS staff were really, really keen to sell me Cambridge Audio gear though, demod it against the 540 V2 amp and I thought Marantz sounded much better, with a phono pre-amp on top Marantz would be £70 cheaper as well.

Obviously need to upgrade the speakers now - looking out for B&W DM601s on Ebay but any other suggestions for second hand speakers to look for - preferably front ported around £200 quid mark?

Many Thanks

A

Anonymous

You could do far worst than to pick up some new diamonds 9.1's moreso the 75th anni editions

I to only have a small room and these speakers fill it nicley with decent amount of bass considering they pretty small.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Be careful.....Aegis one are superb sounding speakers for the price and to better them (enough to call a worthwhile upgrade) you might need to spend a bit more....imo

TRENDING THREADS