Speakers around £1500-2500

Domas

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've just completed my audio set-up containing PMC Twenty 22 bookshelf speakers, Cyrus 8vs2 amplifier and various audio sources: Rega P2 turntable, basic CD player and computer with external sound card.

PMC Twenty 22s sound incredible - open, natural and very detail sound. However, due to my listening music, they do not provide with plenty of bass in terms of depth and quantity. I mostly listen to electronic music (from ambient to techno and drum and bass), some hip-hop, jazz and funk. Therefore I consider changing speakers to probably floorstanders or bookshelves which could provide with sufficient bass.

So far I am planning to listen to these models:

1. PMC GB1i and FB1i. According to information in forums and other internet sources, they do not provide lots of bass, but are quite good with electronic music.

2. ProAc Studio 120MkII. These do plenty of bass, but are not the best with electronics (information from the internet).

3. ATC SCM19. Bookshelves with plenty of bass and good with electronics (information from the internet).

Does anyone have experience with these models or could recommend any other worth consideration? I look for the speakers which will suit good with electronic music, provide plenty of bass and sound natural and in great detail (despite of bass lack, I really like sound profile of PMC Twenty 22s). Speakers' room area is 28 sq. meters with listening area about 18 sq. meters. Budget is around £1500-2500, second hand speakers are welcome.

Thanks in advance for opinions and recommendations!

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
bit left field but if you dont have a psxr on your amp try one.
it will improve your bass and a lot more.

speakers to try for better bass would be dynaudios, good synergy with cyrus also but the 8vs2 isnt up to the job on some models so look at the easier to drive ones like the excites.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Domas, welcome to the forum.

Your own suggestions of PMC and Proac [Inc. D18] are good.

Others you might consider are:
- Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand
- Kef R700s
- Taga Platinum F-100 SE
- Spendor A6R

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Other strong recommendation: "Peitho 303", only built on order (in Holland!), will be about the same price! You can Google for yourself.

Mine will be ready in 2 -3 weeks.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Alears said:
CnoEvil said:
bluebrazil said:
is it me or do the tagas name sound like they should be an indian pick up truck

Luckily, it's only their name that sounds like one. :p

Chinese speakers to a Polish design. Sounds interesting. :)

I started a thread on it here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/taga-possibly-the-best-affordable-speakers-youve-never-heard-of

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Domas said:
Hi everyone,

I've just completed my audio set-up containing PMC Twenty 22 bookshelf speakers, Cyrus 8vs2 amplifier and various audio sources: Rega P2 turntable, basic CD player and computer with external sound card.

PMC Twenty 22s sound incredible - open, natural and very detail sound. However, due to my listening music, they do not provide with plenty of bass in terms of depth and quantity. I mostly listen to electronic music (from ambient to techno and drum and bass), some hip-hop, jazz and funk. Therefore I consider changing speakers to probably floorstanders or bookshelves which could provide with sufficient bass.

1. PMC GB1i and FB1i. According to information in forums and other internet sources, they do not provide lots of bass, but are quite good with electronic music.

2. ProAc Studio 120MkII. These do plenty of bass, but are not the best with electronics (information from the internet).

3. ATC SCM19. Bookshelves with plenty of bass and good with electronics (information from the internet).

Does anyone have experience with these models or could recommend any other worth consideration? I look for the speakers which will suit good with electronic music, provide plenty of bass and sound natural and in great detail (despite of bass lack, I really like sound profile of PMC Twenty 22s). Speakers' room area is 28 sq. meters with listening area about 18 sq. meters. Budget is around £1500-2500, second hand speakers are welcome.

Have a listen to some ATC SCM 40s they should fit the bill or Kef r700s :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
There is an obvious answer to this, though sadly a bit over budget, a pair of 22.5s.

Similar basic performance but with plenty of onboard power in a fully active configuration and powerful DSP to allow you to taylor the bass exactly as you want it.

Edit. Will not allow me to post Link or photo. Google PMC TwoTwo.5

audipheonix

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Can also check Usher Dancer Mini One Diamond DMD. They present good bass with silky tops. Excellent with almost all kind of music . Actually its the music you will enjoy from them. And the build quality is superb.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
There is an obvious answer to this, though sadly a bit over budget, a pair of 22.5s. Similar basic performance but with plenty of onboard power in a fully active configuration and powerful DSP to allow you to taylor the bass exactly as you want it. Edit. Will not allow me to post Link or photo. Google PMC TwoTwo.5

Apologies re replying to my own post but the website would not let me do this yesterday evening.

PMC TwoTwo.5 pro monitor, £3300 inc vat. All the power you will ever need and the ability to adjust the response to your needs and your room. Worth 'going the extra mile' perhaps.

img_20120919094425_56417.jpg

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Domas said:

I think these are just about discontinued now, or at least no longer in production.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
steve_1979 said:
Event Opals. :rockout: :dance: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug09/articles/eventopal.htm

Not with the rest of his system, though, if you read the OP.

Why not? It wouldn't take much to use his existing sources with the Event Opals (or any other active speakers).

The OP does ask "Does anyone have experience with these models or could recommend any other worth consideration?"

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Anyone else heard these? At least one (possibly ex-) WHSV perosn seems to quite like them :grin:

I heard them recently in Belfast at the Naim / Focal promo weekend (they were used in the Chord Cable demo room), and wrote about it here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/shows/belfast-show

I'm not sure how valid my observations were, as hotel rooms are not ideal.......and the match with Naim doesn't work imo.......and that was was using the Sarum Tuned Aray. :shifty:

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
altruistic.lemon said:
steve_1979 said:
Event Opals. :rockout: :dance: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug09/articles/eventopal.htm

Why not? It wouldn't take much to use his existing sources with the Event Opals (or any other active speakers).

The OP does ask "Does anyone have experience with these models or could recommend any other worth consideration?"

There was the bit about completing his system and just wants to replace speakers, seeing he has an integrated amp.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
toyota man said:
Domas said:
Hi everyone,

Have a listen to some ATC SCM 40s they should fit the bill or Kef r700s :)

Plus 1 for the SCM40's for electronic music, they are superb.

Mac

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
steve_1979 said:
altruistic.lemon said:
steve_1979 said:

There was the bit about completing his system and just wants to replace speakers, seeing he has an integrated amp.

An integrated amp that might lack a bit of power if the OP is serious about getting speakers that really pack a punch at the bass end.

The Opals are mighty fine speakers and within budget, just run them off the pre-amp outs. The TwoTwo.5 sounds similar to the 22 but does rather more, the OP said he really liked his 22 apart from the lack of bass, the TwoTwo.5s address that issue perfectly, though they are over budget.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts