speakers and amp advice - £10-20k budget for rock and dance music

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Sir Lemon said:
Reading this thread, one could easily get the impression of a forum wide fixation on a hand full of products from a hand full of brands. Which could be understandable for most other similar threads (purchase advice) with low/er budgets on hand (the value champions argument can be raised). But here it's a little disturbing, since with this kind of money one could, would, probably should, get a little creative and smash the usual patterns and the typical cookie cutter solutions. There are literally hundreds of brands/manufacturers that would potentially qualify for an honorable mention in such a thread, but still, we get the exact same six or seven names that we see in every other thread (ATC, KEF, Naim, etc). I have never read the forum religiously, but for about a week or so I kept checking many such threads (since I too, am looking to grab some gear in the near-ish future), and I have to say that the repetition (and predictability) of the suggestions is borderline depressing.

I would echo Floydy's sentiment, that when you are ready, just start a thread looking for "interesting options". It is then much easier to tailor relevant suggestions to an individual, once given a brief.

There is a good pool of knowledge on here, which sometimes needs teased out, and that is whether you want Active or Passive; Valve, Hybrid or Solid State; Digital or Analogue; Infinite Baffle/Bass Reflex/Transmission Line/Isobaric/Electrostatic etc

For me, a thread becomes really interesting when it gets well into the undergrowth (where a lot of the good stuff hides)...but despite getting interesting suggestions, many people are just too frightened to follow where it leads (or can't be bothered) and take refuge in the "safe" brands (that have the stars and are in the big stores).

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Have you heard Martin Logan, Magnepan, Magico or top range Tannoys, lindsayt?

Sadly, as with everything from washing machines to blenders, you get what you pay for in this life on this blighted planet ;) .

The Martin Logan and Magenepan I'd see as valid alternatives to the Quad Electrostatics. Not better than the Quads overall, but a different set of compromises which some people might prefer to the Quads, depending on their tastes and their rooms.

Not heard Magico yet.

Heard lots of Tannoys, including their huge top of the range models. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

aje1979

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
thanks for all the responses everyone, been away the last couple of days and just checked to see if anyone had replied... talk about information overload!!

think its going to take me a while to read for all this.

From the little bits i read sounds like ill be running a dating agency and selling drugs out the back door instead of buying a new stereo...!!!

cheers ;) ;) ;)

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
You must be joking!

Furthermore to my opinion, there are no systems especially sounding well for rock and dance. A good system sounds well in every kind of music! Otherwise it might be that you are not looking for a HIgh Fidelity-system ? ;-)

Anyway, good luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts