speakers, amp, cd player 3,500 pounds

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi

I am looking for a total new setup, speakers, amp and cd player.

I want to spend max 3,500 pounds

My living room is 300 square feet with a 70 square feet open kitchen, a wooden floor and concrete walls.

I listen to rock, metal music like Opeth, Mastodon, Metallica, Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, Porcupine tree etc.

I prefer a more warm sound above a bright /harsh sound.

Any suggestions for demo?

Kind regards,

Rob

A

Anonymous

Rob,

with 3.5k it's not that difficult to get the sound you trying to acheive. I listen to a lot of rock as well, I wound suggest roksan caspian series cdp + intergrated+ B&W speakers. Roksan does pretty solid soundstage and clean sound.

My speakers are Spendor, they excel in acoustic stuff, but i do enjoy listening to all my fav classic rock stuff like Zepplin, rolling stone and even young band like kings of leon sound amazing. The timbre is so realistic, i mean I'm hearing the best snare drum from these Spendor speakers of mine, you know what i mean if you go to live concert a lot, for me the excitement lays in how real the speakers reproduce the sound of instruments.(I'm sensitive cuz I'm an instrumentalist)

Some do suggest Harbeth cuz their dryer sound(still on the warm side though), it gives you better attack i suppose. If you don't mind 2nd hand or strech a little more, I highly suggest Plinius system, i.e Plinius 9200 intergrated, very musical and they drive British speakers very nicely, and they allow you to just listen to music without getting into analysing game, which makes you wanna upgrade non stop.

Naim system I read does rock very well, but i don't know them enough to comment.

good luck

andy

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If you prefer a warmer, smoother sound, try the Monitor Audio RX series. For the size of room you have, I'd look at the RX8's, which have an extra bass driver which will be beneficial in a larger room.

I'll assume you would prefer a matching amp and CD player. Try the Rega components - the Saturn CD player and an Elicit amplifier can be had to keep within your budget, but you also have the option of the Cursa 3 pre-amp and Maia power amp for a very similar price.

There are also a few Arcam combinations that can be put together, depending on whether you want to concentrate on the quality or the power aspect of the system. Something like a CD17 CD player with an A38 amplifier will drive them extremely well, orif you look at the CD37 with an A28 will give you a little more quality as it's more balanced towards the CD player.

Depending how smooth you want to get, you may like to look at the Quad equipment. The CDS CD player, along with the 99 Pre and the 909 Power amplifier, again within your budget, is an extremely smooth system with one of the best midranges you'll find at the price point. You also have the option of the cheaper 99 Power amp if you want to save a little.

Spendor loudspeakers are also worth looking at, but you'll probably find them outside your price point, and the entry level ones may not provide you with the power and bass you'll need for your size room. Basically, the bigger the speaker you can get (with larger bass drivers than the current crop of 'lifestyle' hi-fi speakers), the better.

A

Anonymous

Hunt for a deal on the Quad 909 and 99 CDP with built in preamp. If you can find them for £1500 then you could match them with the Spendor A6s to make a very smooth, powerful and large sound. Might be just outside your budget but worth a hunt even if you look at (trade) used equipment.

A

Anonymous

Consider Arcam for a warmer sound. There are some good deals on the FMJ CD37 with £200 off at the moment = £999. It also plays SACD.

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Thanks voor the good quality replies!

I listende to some exposure amps but i thinks the 3010s is bit too much is the 2010s strong enough for a Monitor audio gs20 speaker?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts