Speakers for corner of room + Alpha Arcam 8R?

Jamie LF

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi all, new member here (though I've been a lurker from time to time!)

I'm looking to replace my Morduant Short ms20i's with something a little more suitable for my room - the rear bass ports are just way too boomy, I have no choice but to put them near the wall (one in the corner) and despite port bungs and other bass reduction attempts the bass is just too overbearing on the midrange.

I'm currently using an Arcam Alpha 8R amp and a mismatch of an old Pioneer CD player and an Aune DAC, both of which serve me well for now. I'm in a house share so my 15'x10' bedroom doubles as my listening space (speakers on narrow wall). As for music, listen to a lot of prog rock and metal. Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Dream Theater, but also some heavier stuff as well as a mixed back of jazz, classic rock, blues, and some classical and electronic stuff too.

Budget is around the £150-250 mark, new or second hand, though I can stretch a little more if it makes a huge difference. I've seen the following so far and wondered if they would suit my musical tastes, current equipment, and less than optimum room conditions - thanks for these and any other speaker recommendations!

Monitor Audio BX2
B&W 601/602 - not sure which would better suit my setup but open to advice!
Dali Lektor 2

Jamie

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Not on your list but I'd go with Acoustic Energy AE109. Although floor standers they are very compact. Pretty sure they are front ported and small drivers, they don't dig deep but the bass they do have is unbelievably tight

D

Deleted member 160668

I've previously owned an Arcam Alpha 9 which I had paired with B&W 601's and these were in the corners (not ideal but essential due to small fingers poking!). Sounded fine, in fact very good pairing imo. To add to this I have also tried 602's as I mistakenly bought these before rebuying 601's which I'd meant to in the first place. My mum still has the 602's. Nice speakers, much much larger cabinet, would need to be on stands to get best out of them.

Either could be paired effectively with your Arcam amp. If you've got the space plump for the 602's if not the 601's are still lovely speakers.

If it helps I paid £100 for the 601's and £170 for the 602's. Both in mint condition (like new) and from eBay after some careful shopping.

Cheers,

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I used to run B&W 602 S2 with an Arcam Alpha 8, I agree they really work well together. I do however think you need to be a little cautious with the 602s in corners, that is not to say it won't work but I think they'd benifit from a little room behind. I really think the AE 109s would be better in your circustance, again lovely speakers but quite differnenet to the B&Ws.

Jamie LF

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the advice so far guys!

So, it looks like the B&W 601s would be a viable option (602s may be overkill for the bedroom, perhaps!) as well as the Q Acoustics and Acoustic Energy options - will look into those.

However, I wonder if anybody here has had any experience with the other potentials I listed - Dali Lektor 2 and Monitor Audio BX2, either with an Arcam 8 amp or in less than ideal speaker placement conditions. Anybody here able to add further?

Thanks again!

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I use to have an arcam 5 and used with a musical technology kestrel speaker. I got this from my brother in law when they had kids. He got this combo through demo with a dealer.

I found the kestrels easy to place. They are triangular shaped. Since changed the amp to a talk electronics storm (similar to Naim nait 5i) as I thought the arcam 5 lacked a bit with more lively tracks.

also tried arcam with Dali lektor 2 which worked well together . Found the Dali lektor could be placed close to room boundaries without adverse affect. Tried about 1 foot.

the kestrels are small floorstanders which I still use and come up on second hand market from time to time. i use in a 12 X 12 room to good effect.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts