Speakers advices for Marantz SA7001 + PM7001

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After a few months of investigations, my decision was for Marantz - both CDP and Amplifier, respectively SA7001 and PM7001. With this new system at home since very few days, I'm still using the old speakers JBL Control 1, while waiting B&W 685 already ordered. But this order can still be changed, hence this post.

With the Control 1's, this system seems lacking some bass, even if the sound already improved considerably. The room is really small, siting around 2,50 meters from the speakers. Not enough.. most of time I listen music at night, so the volume needs to be low.

Any advices for the new speakers will be much welcome: are the B&W 685 a good choice, or considering the above conditions, other speakers would suite better?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, I think the 685s will work fine with that amp and speakers, as long as your small room doesn't mean they have to be used too close to rear and side walls.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Have you listened to the B&W's? I know a lot of folks like them, I'm not one of them. They sound muddled especially at lower volumes and not the greatest tweeter I've ever heard. They would be the last speakers I'd personally choose for late night listening.

Try Rega R3's or Epos M5i (or the old 5's).

A

Anonymous

The speakers will need to be close to the rear wall. Will that really be a problem, considering the 685s don't have rear "exit"? Another option are the Tannoy's Rev.Sign DC4 - WHSV review recommends close to rear wall, but not clear to me the bass performance, not to mention how would they match with the Marantz components. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

I might find Rega's dealers close to me, not Epos. I had the idea that floorstands are not so good for small rooms, can you pls confirm? If yes, would they fit close to a rear wall? The possibility to listen before buying is really difficult, not to mention that dealers around don't have conditions for effective demos. Thanks.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The R3's are fine for small to medium/large rooms and can be placed close to rear wall. Whatever you plump for, dont buy without listening. Pay your money on the understanding that you can borrow a pair for a home trial. Good dealers (and they will be if they stock Rega) will be happy to help you. If not, walk.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts