Speaker upgrade suggestions

magicaxeman

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I think my speakers are the weak point in my system at present and as I cant get out to demo potential replacements I'm asking for your suggestions.

My current kit is :

Naim Unitiqute 2, Monitor Audio BX2's on Atacama Se 24 stands, QED Silver anniversary XT speaker cable.

my room is 14 ft by 11ft, with the hifi on the long wall.

I'm finding the BX2's are not as detailed as they could be, the top and mid range could be smoother/warmer and the bottom end is soft/loose and lacking definition/detail.

I would like any replacements to take care of those issues or at least be an improvement over the BX2's but with a smooth treble and midrange as I listen to a lot of acoustic/classical/choral music. Gut busting bass isn't needed but a reasonable depth of bass would be nice.

My main problem here is that the speakers have to be placed no fuirther than 6 inches from the wall due to space constraints and my listening position cant be changed as I'm bed bound 24 hours a day.

Budget is up to £700

magicaxeman

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys,

The AVI's would be out as they're active and I love the sound of the naim.

I think the iota's will be too small, they certainly don't go low enough for my tastes.

Just had a chat with my local sevenoaks guy (Dan) who has suggested waiting and doubling my budget to get the PMC twenty 21's as he thinks they will be spot on for my room and requirements, he also suggested the Kef LS 50's but felt they might be a shade bright for my taste. I had originally alled enquiring about some MA GX 100's they had on clearance but again he felt I would find them too bright in here.

Happy new year to all

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
How are the stands coupled to the floor?

If you have a hard floor bluetac under the feet/spikes of your stands then invert your speakers and bluetac them to the stands (tweeters at the bottom).

If it is possible try moving your speakers forward into the room a few inches at a time see if it makes a difference.

Try them without toe in.

Any speaker placed close to a back wall will be compromised.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Just looked up your amp - it's output is 30watts per channel - the BX2's can deliver with good amplification.

The question is are you asking more of the amp than its able to deliver?

What you describe suggest at volume it cannot control your speakers - it would be pointless going up the speaker chain - you'd be better off looking at a new amp/receiver for your entertainment.

I was surprised by the price of the unit considering the output of the amp.

But anyway....look into better amplification.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
30 Naim watts = 300 Krell watts.

Now run along and don't bother the nice gentlemen with 'specs'. They are looking for soulmate speakers.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
magicaxeman said:
The AVI's would be out as they're active and I love the sound of the naim.

They can be used with the Naim. Just plug them into the 'preamp output' sockets on the back. The UnitiQute would make a perfect user interface for running a pair of DM5's from.

p.s. 1 AVI watt = 30,000,000 Naim watts. ;)

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Lol..... I've heard these mutterings regards niam amplification.

Thought we worked out how this was achieved.

I'd still say the amp is the culprit - only a suggestion. No matter gain used from pre onwards a final output of '30watts' will cause problems at higher volume levels. BX2's have a 90db sensitivity.

The OP has a decent size room, it'd be interesting to hear what levels he's trying to achieve.....

magicaxeman

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Well santa came late for me - a certain angel walked in last night ( well struggled in) with a pair of twenty 21's/stands and new speaker cable, apparently this was motivated by the fact that "perhaps now you'll stfu about speakers" lol

Only had a brief listen last night but what I heard was sweet, detailed and refined, they seem to work well with the little qute

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Please, I appreciate tour situation but if your mate can oblige could you do a back to back comparison between the BX2's and the PMC's.

May I be so bold to request you compare cables too.

If you can.....it'd be nice ;-)

magicaxeman said:
Well santa came late for me - a certain angel walked in last night ( well struggled in) with a pair of twenty 21's/stands and new speaker cable, apparently this was motivated by the fact that "perhaps now you'll stfu about speakers" lol

Only had a brief listen last night but what I heard was sweet, detailed and refined, they seem to work well with the little qute

magicaxeman

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
The BX2's are without doubt excellent speakers for the money, they sound at they're best when placed on good stands approx 8" or more from a rear wall and at least 3ft away from the room corners.

I could find no advantage to be had from bi-wiring, in fact single wires sounded better.

They go deep, down to 42hz and deliver a good sound for the money.

The main differences I've noticed so far with the PMC's (please bear in mind they aren't run in yet) are:-

Poise, precision,detail, timing, refinement.

The timing is really excellent, nothing so far has wrong footed or confused them, the slightly soft & wooly bass with evident overhang of the MA's has been replaced with a tight, fast and detailed bass wiith no evident overhang. In short everything stops and starts as it should giving a crisp, refined yet still dynamic presentation

The midrange & treble of the PMC's is a complete revelation, its refined, even sweet but with bags of detail and insight. For instance on the track "September wine" from Dando Shafts Anthology album I can now hear the tibetan bells and drone mix at the begining that was barely audiable on the MA's, its clear and rings wonderfully but without a hint of harshness.

I expected some audible benefits from such an upgrade but the little PMC's have been a complete revelation so far, the sound stage is deeper, wider and taller, with every instrument placed precisely, the speakers themselves seem to disapear and on occasions its seemed like the soundstage transcends the very boundaries of my room. Ok the MA's are no slouch and do deliver a good sound stage when set up correctly but the PMC's provide a simply stunning almost holographic sound stage by comparison.

The PMC's don't go quite as low as the MA's (50hz Vs 42hz) but the slight loss of lower bass is worth the trade off overal, and anyway if you want the extra low end grunt you could always go for the 22's.

Oh and the PMC stands are the best I've ever used, wonderfully solid.

I can't really comment on the speaker cable ( QED Silver anniversary XT) as I've only used it with the PMC's and haven't used to old cable with them either, but it seems to be performing very well for me.

I hope that helps and thanks /happy new year to you all

Hi, I realize this is an old thread but I am curious about the Naim Unitiqute 2 with the BX2's. I am looking at the Naim unit and currently have BX2's running of a not so HiFi amp, I cannot afford to replace the speakers so would like to know how they paired up until I can afford new speakers.

thanks

Gray

I've got the 21s (on the sand filled SE24s) and agree with you about their bass quality.

First thing that I noticed though, was their even overall tonal balance. They've also got the open, detailed treble that I can't do without.

In the demo I was sort of apologetic for being a detail freak. He just said, "Don't apologise - the detail is the music".

I've had the 21s quite a while and the novelty hasn't worn off, can't imagine it will for you either. Enjoy them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts