Speaker switching boxes damage amps. True??

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Can anyone please confirm... I've been advised that Speaker Switching Boxes can 'damage' amps - is this true? I'm considering buying a relative a QED SS22 (2-way) as a Christmas pressie, but obviously don't want a device that may knacker their amp. [:O] Any thoughts? Ta [:)]

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
qed must have some lads working for them and there is very little chance of them making something that would damage kit. maybe cheaper models from less known brands but im going to say go for it.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
smuggs:qed must have some lads working for them and there is very little chance of them making something that would damage kit.

The implication being that if QED employed women (instead of 'lads') in designing, manufacturing or testing these switchboxes, then they might blow up everything connected to them?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy:Sometimes I despair of the pernickety politically correct opportunism on this site.

Oh dear.

It's not political correctness, it's the law of the land. Can you imagine if QED advertised in the manner of smuggs' posting?

"Our switchboxes are made by lads so they won't damage your hifi."

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
chebby:

Ravey Gravey Davy:Sometimes I despair of the pernickety politically correct opportunism on this site.

Oh dear.

It's not political correctness, it's the law of the land. Can you imagine if QED advertised in the manner of smuggs' posting?

"Our switchboxes are made by lads so they won't damage your hifi."

Agreed- I doubt whether QED would use colloquialisms or collective abbreviations but I also doubt that Smuggs meant it as a sexist remark as opposed to an off the cuff remark-hence my statement of "jump down the throat" brownie pointing.

neil fd2

May 12, 2008
Visit site
I just bought an amp/ speaker switching unit from Beresford. I needed something to switch between my denon av amp & luxman l550aii hifi amp so i could use the same front speakers for music & movies.Less speakers = less moaning from you know who. It`s excellent for the money with no noticeable loss of sound quality when using the luxman. Don`t think it would be possible to damage an amp unless you were to somehow select both amps at the same time.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
There shouldn't be an issue providing you use speakers with an impedance matched to the amp and use a proper switch box within the manufacturers recommendations on connections (i.e. not connecting more than one pair of speakers to the same output pair at the same time)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
For all of which read 'no, rubbish'. Provided the box is designed so both pairs of speakers can't be connected to the amp at the same time, there should be no problem.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for feedback, folks.
emotion-1.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
audioaffair:There shouldn't be an issue providing you use speakers with an impedance matched to the amp and use a proper switch box within the manufacturers recommendations on connections (i.e. not connecting more than one pair of speakers to the same output pair at the same time)

Note that your company sells the QED SS22 - bearing in mind the disruption due to snow etc, can you guarantee next-day delivery?

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts