speaker recommendations for arcam solo mini

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
just bought the above and not happy with the sound from my old old Kef c-30s

i.m not too keen on the look of arcams own speakers or the b&w 685s for that matter - are the kef IQ5SEs any good with the solo mini?

recommendations gratefully received

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I find great 'synergy' between my Rega R3's and the Solo-Mini.

When I bought the Arcam and my speakers, I auditioned the Monitor Audio BR2's (a WHF recommended pairing at the time) and some entry level Focal JM floor standers. However the Rega R3's were an absolute stand-out! (They were £500 apeakers on offer ex-dem for £399, so about twice the price of the BR2's to be fair.)

The R3's are quite efficient at 89db and I don't enjoy ear splitting volumes so the Solo-Mini's 25 watts per-channel is ample for me.

Whatever you do choose, try to get efficient speakers (around 90db or better). Your budget appears (from the price of the KEFs you mentioned) to be about £400 so try to hear the new Rega RS1's (£398). They are plenty efficient enough (90db) and have the new custom designed Rega tweeter which - by all accounts that I have read so far - is epic.

Monitor Audio's ranges (Bronze, Silver) are pretty efficient too but I am only familiar with the BR1's and BR2's. The MA RS1 (a WHF 5 star reviewed model) could be just the ticket and around £400.

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
I've heard the kefs and really liked them.They are stylish and neat aswell.When I was buying my speakers it came down to the kef iq 5 se, the b & w 685 and monitor audio rs1.I bought the monitor audio firstly on how they sounded.They have a real wood veneer and build quality thats goes that bit further than b&w and they were the best price, £280 from richer sounds.The decision was a head wreck because there are some great stuff out there in this price range.One thing on the price I should add is that I had to buy some stands which is obviously not a factor for the kefs.Listen to them all if you can and go with your ears.good luck.

Coola

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts