Speaker Quality

SJProctor

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I have recently bought a new set-up but the quality from the speakers is poor (volume fine) and I wondered if anyone had any tips as I am pretty new to some of this.

The system I have is:

Gemtune SMSL SA-50 (Amp)

Pro-Ject Essential 2 (Turntable)

Wharfdale Diamond 9.1 (Speakers)

Pro-Ject Phono Box MM (Pre-amp)

I dont know if something is afaulty (everything is new) although thsi is a possibility - My sense is that I just need to twaek something to improve the quality (it sounds like I have a blanket over the speakers at the moment!)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

gasolin

SJProctor said:
Hi,

I have recently bought a new set-up but the quality from the speakers is poor (volume fine) and I wondered if anyone had any tips as I am pretty new to some of this.

The system I have is:

Gemtune SMSL SA-50 (Amp)

I dont know if something is afaulty (everything is new) although thsi is a possibility - My sense is that I just need to twaek something to improve the quality (it sounds like I have a blanket over the speakers at the moment!)

The only thing i can think of is that you bought a cheap rubbish amp, why would you use a below 50£ amp with a good TT and speakers, if the amp hade a phono input would you have bought a phono,riaa box?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gemtune-SA-50-Amplifier-Adapter-Standard/dp/B00KBIV1WW

Why buy a phono,riaa box that costs almost the same as your amp ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Project-Phono-Turntable-Pre-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00KWTJZGY/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1446465963&sr=1-2&keywords=Pro-Ject+Phono+Box+MM

You would have gotten something better buy not buying the project phono box and gemtune amp and then have bought something like a used marantz Pm6004/6005 or the new best amp up to 200£ in 2015 onky a-9010

What kind of cables are you using ?

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
SJProctor said:
Hi,

The system I have is:

Gemtune SMSL SA-50 (Amp)

The 9.1s are budget but decent and should be fine for a budget set up. Speaker wire would only affect things if using a very poor cross section area over a long run. I checked your amp on amazon and it costs only £49 reduced from £80. I know nothing about the amp but this is very cheap so I suspect the amp is the issue. You could try and borrow a decent amp from a friend and compare using the same speakers?

gasolin

slice said:
SJProctor said:
Hi,

The system I have is:

Gemtune SMSL SA-50 (Amp)

The 9.1s are budget but decent and should be fine for a budget set up. Speaker wire would only affect things if using a very poor cross section area over a long run. I checked your amp on amazon and it costs only £49 reduced from £80. I know nothing about the amp but this is very cheap so I suspect the amp is the issue. You could try and borrow a decent amp from a friend and compare using the same speakers?

I agree, i think your amp isn't good enought, even if you could find something like a nad 3020 in mint condition i think you would get better sound

SJProctor

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for this guys - I think that it is the amp as it seems like its pretty cheap and not great - I read some reviews from people who had this system and said it worked fine, but lesson learnt!

They amp and pre-amp are new so I can return these and get a decent amp - Thanks again for your help

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
It is tough when you are starting with all new gear. There is good advice here, and do not rule out a secondhand amplifier as there are some great amplifiers around for pocket money prices. If you are worried that something is not working correctly then find a mate, buy some beers and spend an evening swapping the kit around. By the end of it, you will know what works and you might have some ideas of what kind of gear that you need to give the sound that you like.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts