Speaker placement

ele101

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm about to get the following setup: Marantz CD6004, Maranta PM6004, Pro-ject Essential turntable, Audio BX2s speakers

My problem is that I have a very small and already full living room. I only have a space of around 90mm to put the hifi. I was thinking if buying this stand: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ST-60-4BK-Quality-Black-Tempered-Shelves/dp/B0085S1FQC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370597766&sr=8-2&keywords=hifi+stand

I don't have space to place the speakers on either side of the stand unless they are different heights and distances from the wall (hard to explain but due to the positioning of the fireplace and dining table).

Would it be a crime to put both speakers on the top shelf (with the turntable on the bottom)?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Putting the speakers on the top shelf or any shelf would not a be good idea esp. with a TT.

Stick the TT on the top shelf.

Can you not wall mount the speakers on brackets? Best to get them about 5-6 feet apart at same height around your ear level.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You would get zero stereo seperation. It would sound terrible and you would be much better off buying something like this instead. (Seriously.)

Unless the arrangement you propose is going to be very temporary, then forget systems with seperate speakers.

I would suggest wall mounting the speakers if it is totally impossible to position them properly on stands with sufficient seperation.

John Duncan

No the secret shiny box is here already but is secret.

Am off to buy a Sonos Play:3 for the kitchen, but could easily be talked into a stereo pair complete with wall mounts...

TBH though, that particular solution would be a bit awkward for plugging a turntable into. You'd need to add a connect and a phono stage, which starts to get messy and expensive. I agree that the B&W looks quite a neat solution (though I haven't heard on, and was always underwhelmed by the Zeppelin).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
TBH though, that particular solution would be a bit awkward for plugging a turntable into. You'd need to add a connect and a phono stage, which starts to get messy and expensive. I agree that the B&W looks quite a neat solution (though I haven't heard on, and was always underwhelmed by the Zeppelin).

The OP could buy the USB version of the Pro-ject Essential TT he wants. (Phono pre-amp is integrated in the TT, so no extra boxes. Would just need an RCA - 3.5mm adaptor.)

ele101

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys. It's been stresstul enough choosing which system to buy and now this ha ha!

I could get the seakers 5 ft apart (one would be directly over the hifi and the other 5 ft to the left) but only if I place them 7 ft up from the floor.

Or, alternatively, I could place them around 4 ft apart by placing them on wall brackets above the fireplace mantlepiece (I don't have an actual fire so no worries about that at least) which is around 4 ft from the floor. In this option the hifi would be around 2 ft to the left of the left speaker.

Which would be the best option?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ele101 said:
Thanks guys. It's been stresstul enough choosing which system to buy and now this ha ha!

I could get the seakers 5 ft apart (one would be directly over the hifi and the other 5 ft to the left) but only if I place them 7 ft up from the floor.

Or, alternatively, I could place them around 4 ft apart by placing them on wall brackets above the fireplace mantlepiece (I don't have an actual fire so no worries about that at least) which is around 4 ft from the floor. In this option the hifi would be around 2 ft to the left of the left speaker.

Which would be the best option?

How far away will you be sitting from the speakers?

7 feet is a bit high but may work if you can angle the speakers down so they fire at your head in your listening place. 4 ft apart is OK if you are quite close, say about 6 feet away. Oh and avoid corners if you can.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts