Speaker impedance

quad-gradientsetup

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi all…

I was set on buying the monitor audio silver fx surrounds to go with my Yamaha rx-a1010 amp until I read something that confused me. I hope someone can clear it up for me…

I read in the the Yamaha manual that if you use 6ohms speakers for surrounds (which the silver fx are) you have to then use 4ohms speakers for the fronts. Is this really the case? Is there a way round this?… if there's not il have to drop down to the monitor audio bronze series as they are 8ohms. This will allow me to use my quads as fronts as they are also 8ohms…

I look forward to any advise

Thanks

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Two months ago I was considering buying the Yamaha RX-A1010, so I downloaded the manual from the Yamaha website. I don't know if you are reading a different document, but on page 113, towards the bottom right corner, it says "6 Ohm MIN: select this when you connect 6-ohm speakers to this unit. You can also use 4-ohm speakers as the front speakers." It says, you CAN (meaning, you MAY) use 4-ohm speakers as the front speakers. It doesn't say, you MUST use 4-ohm speakers as the front speakers! So yes, you can use 6-ohm speakers all round, for the fronts, centre and surrounds, and presence or surround backs also if you have those. But if you are using a mixture of 8-ohm and 6-ohm speakers, then choose the 6-ohm setting for speaker impedance. If you spend about £1,500 to £2,000 on a receiver, you will probably be able to set the impedance of each pair of speakers individually, but not for cheaper units like yours and mine. Perhaps the top model in the range, the RX-A3010, would allow you to do that.

Yamaha are saying that the RX-A1010 can cope with the extra current demands of 4-ohm speakers (compared with having 6-ohm speakers) as the main front pair, but it couldn't cope with having 4-ohm speakers all around.

I ended up buying the Yamaha RX-A2010, it's now in the kitchen, with 6-ohm speakers everywhere.

quad-gradientsetup

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that my friend.…

Your correct it does say 'you can also use 4ohms' it doesnt say must. I read it wrong. I supposed that means I can use 6ohms all round and just have my 8ohms for the fronts and presence speakers? As long as change the impedance on the amp..?

Pls confirm my friend

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts