Speaker Grilles - Have Monitor Audio made a new discovery?

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I was quite pleasantly surprised when on Christmas Day after setting up and listening to my new MA RX6's I found there was next to no difference to the sound with the speaker grilles off. Every other pair of speakers I've owned have sounded better with the grilles off. With my last Proac Studio 140's it was as though a blanket had been lifted from them, soundstage and clarity really opening up with the grilles off.
I'm glad I can leave the grilles on the RX6's without feeling I'm missing any sound, as lovely as the MA drivers are, I prefer the grilles for protection and looks. Have Monitor Audio discovered a new material for the grilles or is it just the character of the speakers?

P.S. The Monitor Audio De-Tox CD has worked a treat for shortening the speaker burn-in time. I don't think my German Shepherd appreciated it though!

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
pete321 said:
I was quite pleasantly surprised when on Christmas Day after setting up and listening to my new MA RX6's I found there was next to no difference to the sound with the speaker grilles off. Every other pair of speakers I've owned have sounded better with the grilles off. With my last Proac Studio 140's it was as though a blanket had been lifted from them, soundstage and clarity really opening up with the grilles off. I'm glad I can leave the grilles on the RX6's without feeling I'm missing any sound, as lovely as the MA drivers are, I prefer the grilles for protection and looks. Have Monitor Audio discovered a new material for the grilles or is it just the character of the speakers? P.S. The Monitor Audio De-Tox CD has worked a treat for shortening the speaker burn-in time. I don't think my German Shepherd appreciated it though!

possibly a double dose of snake oil? ;-)

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
tyranniux42 said:
pete321 said:
I was quite pleasantly surprised when on Christmas Day after setting up and listening to my new MA RX6's I found there was next to no difference to the sound with the speaker grilles off. Every other pair of speakers I've owned have sounded better with the grilles off. With my last Proac Studio 140's it was as though a blanket had been lifted from them, soundstage and clarity really opening up with the grilles off. I'm glad I can leave the grilles on the RX6's without feeling I'm missing any sound, as lovely as the MA drivers are, I prefer the grilles for protection and looks. Have Monitor Audio discovered a new material for the grilles or is it just the character of the speakers? P.S. The Monitor Audio De-Tox CD has worked a treat for shortening the speaker burn-in time. I don't think my German Shepherd appreciated it though!

Here we go again... ;)

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
My old mission 752s used to sound better without the grills on bigger image and a little more open and some sibilance which rather defeated the benefits of removing the grills Ive not realy listened to the atcs without the grills but I will and report back if there are any benefits :)

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
tyranniux42 said:
pete321 said:

Here we go again... ;)

...helo darkness my old friend...;-)

my ovators sound best with the grilles left on... oh wait they aren't removable... scratch that!

.. burn in was quick too, only took a quarter of a litre of petrol, my previous B&W 683's took half a gallon! (UK gallon, not the US gallon!)

regards

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
tyranniux42 said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
tyranniux42 said:
pete321 said:

Here we go again... ;)

...helo darkness my old friend...;-)

my ovators sound best with the grilles left on... oh wait they aren't removable... scratch that!

.. burn in was quick too, only took a quarter of a litre of petrol, my previous B&W 683's took half a gallon! (UK gallon, not the US gallon!)

regards

For me is just a matter of looks... The Dyns X12 look so much cool with the grilles off... The sound is the same to my ears! ;)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Here's an Naim Ovator with two of the grilles missing.

Ovator_zps20904c5e.jpg

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
pete321 said:

I don't think its very difficult to make acoustically transparent grills, most mid range speakers come equipped with one...I for one would be surprised (and a bit annoyed) if I spent more than 500 pounds on a speaker and it didn't sound the same with the grilles on. For the record my Mezzos sound the same with or without them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts