Speaker cutting out?

• Thread starter Deleted member 160668
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 160668

MA RS6’s... right speaker keeps cutting out, intermittent, could be several times for micro-second during songs. Really p*ssing me off!

ive narrowed it down to the binding posts where banana plugs going in. If i wiggle posts it causes sound to sound sh*t, or cut out.

Anyone have any experience/tips for messing bout around with internal wiring on these or similar?

reckon a wires loose or poorly connected internally.

Cheers,

D

Deleted member 160668

Thanks for answer...Is hex keys (think called that), so gonna order some on eBay now so can take back plate off whenever they arrive.

Is only main speaker cutting, not tweeter, and currently biwired... so might try cheating by swapping for single wired connection and then using top banana to connect. Not ideal I realise

Very nervous about opening it up as I don’t really know what I’m doing and may **** it up!!

hence my hope someone can give me some pointers!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
It would be best to try the good speaker on the side your having trouble with first to rule out amplifier and if you do not no what your doing when it comes to taking a speaker apart then it’s best left to someone who can test the speaker with the right no how

Gray

Just pull it off slowly, treat it like an unexploded bomb (like I said, don't worry) obviously don't strain any cables, there should be enough slack to allow you a good look.

The crossover PCB is likely to be connected directly to the terminal posts, with wires going from the PCB to the drive units. Start by checking that the posts are firmly contacting the PCB (The threaded ends of the posts will (should) pass through the PCB and be secured by nuts)

Note and refit any seal there may be around the plate when screwing it back.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Opening them up is really harmless. I've done it numerous times on my speakers. The wires coming from each driver have clip-on terminators at the end. And they just clip onto the end of the crossover mounted on the backplate. The speaker terminals at the back are also connected to the crossover via clip ons. All you have to do is only pull out one wire at a time, and securely plug it back into place. All the best...

D

Deleted member 160668

So is worse than I thought. Have swapped speakers over at amp (don’t know why hadn’t done this before).

Now exactly same issue in left speaker. Intermittent, and disappears if increase the volume. Think the terminal wiggling sound is just coincidence. Still gets some sound.

Gonna try swapping speaker cables then if problem persists will need someone to open this badboy (amp) up and have a tinker... Beyond me, not even gonna try.

If so need to find a shop somewhere that’ll do repairs and not charge me the earth. Anyone have recommendation in S/W?

*also need to swap out speaker cable anyway as have 3m one side and 5.5m other side, needlessly, which I’m sure doesn’t add benefit. Speakers sit either side of 2m TV cabinet.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
amormusic said:
So is worse than I thought. Have swapped speakers over at amp (don’t know why hadn’t done this before).

Now exactly same issue in left speaker. Intermittent, and disappears if increase the volume. Think the terminal wiggling sound is just coincidence. Still gets some sound.

Gonna try swapping speaker cables then if problem persists will need someone to open this badboy (amp) up and have a tinker... Beyond me, not even gonna try.

If so need to find a shop somewhere that’ll do repairs and not charge me the earth. Anyone have recommendation in S/W?

*also need to swap out speaker cable anyway as have 3m one side and 5.5m other side, needlessly, which I’m sure doesn’t add benefit. Speakers sit either side of 2m TV cabinet.
that’s way I said rule out the amplifier first

just cut your old cable down to 2 meter lengths that way it’s costing you nothing and I am not sure around your way that would be cheaper to look at the Arcam but you could always phone Arcam customer service up and they will give you a phone number of someone your end who will look at the amplifier for you but what it will cost I do not no .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts