Speaker cable for Monitor Audio Bronze 2

njp

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I recently bought Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers and QED XT40 speaker cable from Richer Sounds to upgrade my hi-fi set up. Unfortunately it's proving to be difficult to get the bare speaker wire, which is very thick, on the XT40 into the Bronze 2 binding posts. The wire keeps splaying.
I don't have much room between the back of the speakers and the wall so i don't think banana plugs are an option as they will stick out too far. I have read up about spade plugs and was wondering if these might be an option? I bought myself a cheap pair of spade plugs from amazon to see if they would fit the Bronze 2 binding post but they were too small to fit round the Bronze 2 binding post, but not sure if there are different sizes of spade plugs? I am now thinking of putting the QED speaker cable on ebay and starting again with factory fitted plugs. Would be great to know whether QED airloc spade or Chord Clearway spade plugs would fit on the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers and whether there is any noticable difference in sound quality vs bare wire or banana plugs? It looks as though Chord offer BFA and banana plug fittings for the other end of the cable that will go into my cambridge cxa60 amp. Unsure of the difference between the two so would be helpful if someone able to explain!

abacus

Measure the size of the terminals then pop down to your local electrical wholesaler who will be able to supply you the correct size. (Take a sample of your cable as well)

You also dont need to insert the cables in the terminal holes, but can instead wrap them round the terminals, as it will not make any difference to the sound.

Hope this helps

Bill

DannyB

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Please get them away from the wall and use the plugs,speakers don't like being up against the wall,the bass is going to be bloated and boomy,leading you to another thread..on how to solve my boomy bass problem in my room.no kidding.

+1

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Please get them away from the wall and use the plugs,speakers don't like being up against the wall,the bass is going to be bloated and boomy,leading you to another thread..on how to solve my boomy bass problem in my room.no kidding.

The bronze 2's are front ported and sound very good only a couple of inches from a wall. My brother has this set up, and I've never noticed anything other than great sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts