Speaker Connundrum

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I'm probably two months away from an upgrade and just testing the waters a bit at the minute.

Will be looking at £400 max, although options I've got swirling around my head at the moment may well not be suitable but will draw up a proper shortlist nearer the time. Thanks for reminding me of the Usher's though; I remember now reading some very good things about them elsewhere so that will be one for the notebook.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:drummerman:

Finally.

Of course a great turntable will, in turn, show up any shortcomings in your amplifier and speakers ...

Nah, it will just get the best out of them. :)

Whats wrong with your project?

matthewpiano

drummerman:matthewpiano:drummerman:

Finally.

Of course a great turntable will, in turn, show up any shortcomings in your amplifier and speakers ...

Nah, it will just get the best out of them. :)

Whats wrong with your project?

Nothing in particular. It is an inoffensive enough budget deck with reasonable build quality but I have quite a lot of vinyl and my amp and speakers are worthy of something better. I'd also like something with a proper conventional dust cover as the Genie is a nightmare in this respect. I'm not going to go bonkers and I think something like a used Planar 2/3 or Systemdek would do me fine.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It's a shame you just missed my Clearaudio Emotion
emotion-6.gif

idc

Late suggestion Matthew. Your CDP outputs 2 V and the amp inputs between 250mV and 1.5V. So there may be room for attenuators between the two of -10db. Golden Jacks are £25.60 and Rothwell are £39 on ebay. You will get more volume control and that will help with low level listening.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
look into my eyes.... look into my eyes....soon you will realize iq10 dont organize instruments so well...1 2 3 wake up

matthewpiano

ear:look into my eyes.... look into my eyes....soon you will realize iq10 dont organize instruments so well...1 2 3 wake up

Well they do with an Arcam A18 driving them!! I played some very large-scale orchestral stuff tonight and I could hear where everything was very clearly. Same with the Strawbs' 'From The Witchwood' album. In fact they organize instruments and soundstage better than I've heard from any other reasonably price speaker.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts