Speaker cabling: worth it?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone. I wish to upgrade my 'speaker cable from my Rotel Ra-04 to my Quad 11L2s (very much the same as 11Ls). I am currently using a Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD player interconnected to the amp via Van Den Hul's D102 MKIII. My current 'speaker cable (VDH The Clearwater) is a metre too short and is not such a great performer anyway. I am considering: VDH The Bridge (4 star only); VDH CS-122 (expensive); Chord Canrival Silver Plus (?); QED Silver Anniversary XT. Anything else in the 5-pound-per-metre range (10 is the very maximum) is an option. Please post any thoughts or suggestions. These will be much appreciated! zmible01

A

Anonymous

IMO Chord Carnival Silver Plus bi-wire is good enough for the job at £10 a metre. If you're going to spend more I'd advise trying a few to make sure it's worth the extra notes. I've always thought this cable to be fairy neutral, but some say that it's not for bright systems. If that's the case, it should go well with the Quads.

A

Anonymous

DNM reson mark 2.It is a what hi fi? 5 star previous award winner and is excellent.It is noticeably better than ,say, qed silver anniversary.I used to use the qed so have compared them.It is copper only and is quite neutral sounding and a step up from the £5 a metre cables that i have heard.It used to rrp at £7.95 p/m but you should be able to get it for less.

A

Anonymous

this is the reson review from what hi fi.I have seen the cable for sale on the net for £6.15 per metre. Just google "dnm reson speaker cable".

The Reson maintains the spaciousness and speed of signal transfer that made it such a hit [MK1], but now gains extra muscularity and bass punch, the result being a cable with no apparent areas of weakness, offering a complete blend of smoothness power and excitement. A superb buy". RRP = £7.50/metre"

A

Anonymous

I'd go for these: anticables. Haven't tried their speaker cables, but i have the interconnects and they're truly amazing value. They are so cheap, and the delivery is quick and without any tax.

A

Anonymous

Hi peteAllen

I had a look at the Anti-Cables -- quite a maverick product in this world of silver, carbon and gold! One thing concerns me, however: the maker of these things seems to emphasise the need for a six- to 12-inch space between the (+) and (-) wires and the necessity of isolating them from contact with other objects. I cannot afford to do this in the limited space I have available. I wonder if it is entirely necessary, or if the resulting differece would be noticable on my modest system. It would be great if WHFSV could test them and the interconnects (hint, hint, WHF team)...

With regards to the Chord Carnival Silver Plus and QED Silver Anniversary XT, would they pair at all well with the D102 MkII interconnect that I am using?

Thanks a lot!
zimble01

A

Anonymous

Give the Chord a try at a hifi shop. Even if you didn't, I suspect you'd not be disappointed.

A

Anonymous

Hi Pete

I have Audioquest Indigo+ speaker cable connecting my Arcam FMJA32 and Primare 20.2 in biamped mode to B&W 804 speakers (also to a B&W centre speaker linked into my home cinema system). Do you think the anticables speaker cables would be an improvement> Looking on the site its available at $1.25 per foot unterminated!

John

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="al7478"]Anyone know what the Anti-Cables cost in GBP?[/quote]

I don't think UK has an main importer but few friends of my has order them in and happy with the thin run of copper!, I thought they not the most user friendly cables I have come across though.

A

Anonymous

Spacing between cables: They are seriously thin cables, just like normal wire, so i'd make them loop under a speaker (stand) spike, and then literally celotape them down the floor to the amp. This way you can make sure they don't touch each other or other cables. I strongly suspect it makes little difference if they do tho. My interconnects usually touch and i haven't noticed.

Pricing: you order direct from the guy who makes them, pay by paypal. I can't remember the pricing, have a look on the Ordering section. It's about $2 to the £.

At this price it's not a terrible loss if they don't suit your system. I'm not familiar with the Audioquest Indigo, but the Anticable interconnect competes well with my best rca interconnect, the Atlas Voyager. Unfortunately i can't compare to my Nordost Freys or Avid interconnects since they are xlr. Great amp & speakers btw, johnbutler. Are you tempted to upgrade the Arcam to a Leema?

I've got Supra Sword speaker cables (editors choice in WHFC), but not biwired, which i believe the B&Ws appreciate. I may try out the biwired anticables as getting an extra pair of Swords would be at least £500. If the anticables aren't good enough, they can still be a useful upgrade for my second system (benchmarkd dac > primare a30.2 > monitor audio gr10). Any thoughts, anyone?

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="peteAllen"]so i'd make them loop under a speaker (stand) spike[/quote]

The general view is not to loop speaker cable as you can increase the inductance. May not be noticeable with one loop?

Gyp

Dec 17, 2007
Visit site
Just to add a contrary view, I'd suggest listening to a few. Changing the interconnects on my system made a significant difference (so I spent lots), but is quite insensitive to speaker cable changes (so I didn't).

Consequently, my £7k (when new) system has about £300 of Chord interconnects and about £25 of QED Qudos (now QED Original).

So, have a listen and buy whatever gives the best VFM aural pleasure.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gyp"]Changing the interconnects on my system made a significant difference (so I
spent lots), [/quote]

I reverse that to "to get a significant improvement you have to spend lots on interconnects"....and I have my "poor and thin" wallet to prove it. (crying icon here)

A

Anonymous

you think that is a LOT to spend on IC's? wow, if you have 7K to spend on your system then i dont think you would be doing it justice with only 300 quids worth of ICs. I thought the general rule of thumb was to "invest" 10% of your total system cost in cabling... you might be short changing yourself there.
unless of course youve spent around 400 quid on mains cables/conditioners...

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"]I thought the general rule of thumb was to "invest" 10% of your total system
cost in cabling[/quote]

I don't believe in that at all!

A

Anonymous

There are no rules. It's whatever makes you happy really. And i've spent about 25% of my budget on mains/cabling. Occasionally i swap out the mains stuff to remind myself how much better it all sounds with it in.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="peteAllen"]There are no rules. It's whatever makes you happy really. And i've spent about 25% of my budget on mains/cabling. Occasionally i swap out the mains stuff to remind myself how much better it all sounds with it in.[/quote]

Mains cabling doesn't actually affect the sound of a system. The only important thing is having thick conductors on speaker cables to minimize cable loss.

Gyp

Dec 17, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Keith McAlpine"]Mains cabling doesn't actually affect the sound of a system. The only important thing is having thick conductors on speaker cables to minimize cable loss.[/quote]

And so it begins...

Gyp

Dec 17, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]I don't believe in that at all![/quote]

Amen!

As I see it, if you have a £1000 budget and the best you can achieve is from a £400 CD, £300 Amp, £200 speakers and £100 cables then great. If the best you can achieve is from £100 microsystem, £50 speakers and £850 cables then that's great also.

The only rule is there are no rules.

There is helpful guidance though :)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Keith McAlpine"][quote user="peteAllen"]There are no rules. It's whatever makes you happy really. And i've spent about 25% of my budget on mains/cabling. Occasionally i swap out the mains stuff to remind myself how much better it all sounds with it in.[/quote]

Mains cabling doesn't actually affect the sound of a system. [/quote]

really? do tell us how you reached such a profound conclusion...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="peteAllen"]There are no rules. It's whatever makes you happy really. And i've spent about 25% of my budget on mains/cabling. Occasionally i swap out the mains stuff to remind myself how much better it all sounds with it in.[/quote]

i didnt actually say it was a "rule" i said i thought it was a "rule of thumb" - ie. a guide that you should spend 10% of your budget on cables...

A

Anonymous

The mains lead isn't in the signal path so can't affect the sound. Unless it disconnects completely of course.

The onus is on the proponents of mains leads to explain how on earth it possibly could.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Keith McAlpine"]The mains lead isn't in the signal path so can't affect the sound. Unless it disconnects completely of course.

The onus is on the proponents of mains leads to explain how on earth it possibly could.[/quote]

gee i must be slipping (well i have been away for a while)!!! sorry Zoot didnt recognise your handy-work. im not going to bother beating you with reasoned debate for a THIRD time. you lost, get over it!

TRENDING THREADS