Thankyou for input

pravstar

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Thankyou to all forum members. I had a 300 pound budget just for cabling and spent it as following based on the advice given which genuinely really helped me

Mf A3.2 cd & amp, castle avon.

I spent this budget as follows

Speaker upgrade to proac studio 125 second hand, castle avon sold
£100, plus I got two 5 metre rungs of vdh teatrac biwire free which I will sell

Furutech occ interconnect new, cable £13 for 0.7m, nakimichi banana, £6, cardas silver solder 2.50, termination costs £10

Audiophile occ speaker cable £43 for 2/4 biwire configuration,
8#1.3m

Atacama equinox xl pro £8 for 3 shelves and stands, off a mate who was disposing of these

So far my outlet has been about £185, I still have some budget for mains and power cables plus the vdh to sell.

I'm enjoying my system a hell of a lot more, but understand there are limitations to my system compared to many on here.

Are there any cost effective tweaks that could be done bar cabling, I've been thinking of a good dac to replace the cd player but just want to finish this project off as it's taken me 13 years to get this far which is shocking. Cheers

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You can mess around with cheap isolation products and platforms.

You could look at Valhalla Technology and Milty/Deflex polipods and foculpods.

I also prefer my components sitting on simple plywood platforms.

Filling speaker stands with kiln dried sand or uncooked rice can make a big difference.

Granite worktop savers under subs and speakers.

Auralex Grammas under speakers/subs which need decoupled from the floor (ie. If it's suspended wooden one).

pravstar

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks cno. I actually have lots of spare plywood and lots of mdf , could I use this on my rack, and I have some leftover granite worktop so I wouldn't need to buy anything. I'm sounding like a stingy ****** but if I can recycle what I have, even have spare tiles, then that's a real bonus.

Can I just ask you a last question.

Plywood or mdf?

Granite slabs for speakers, spikes in or out?

Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Experimentation is the key...as it depends on the room/speakers/taste.

FWIW. I'd go plywood and spikes into spike shoes.

pravstar

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Plywood it is and spike shoes are relatively inexpensive so I will purchase these. Thanks again, itd great getting sound advice. I will definitely update you when I have made the changes

pravstar said:
Plywood it is and spike shoes are relatively inexpensive so I will purchase these. Thanks again, itd great getting sound advice. I will definitely update you when I have made the changes

If you're utilising the granite slabs under speakers then I would de-couple them as has been suggested rather than use spikes. The spikes are meant to couple speakers to the floor and this cannot be done if using slabs.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
If you're utilising the granite slabs under speakers then I would de-couple them as has been suggested rather than use spikes. The spikes are meant to couple speakers to the floor and this cannot be done if using slabs.
IME. The only time coupling speakers doesn't work, is spiked into a suspended wooden floor.

If coupled to something inert, like Concrete or Granitie, there usually isn't a problem, though you can get de-coupling spike shoes as well if you wish.

Most speakers don't come with 2 sets of feet, so by using spikes, it allows for adjustment in order to get the speakers level.

CnoEvil said:
Al ears said:
IME. The only time coupling speakers doesn't work, is spiked into a suspended wooden floor.

If coupled to something inert, like Concrete or Granitie, there usually isn't a problem, though you can get de-coupling spike shoes as well if you wish.

Most speakers don't come with 2 sets of feet, so by using spikes, it allows for adjustment in order to get the speakers level.

I can see your point regarding a suspended floor, however to my mind you cannot couple spikes to anything like granite. Coupling means just that. With spikes they are just sitting on a granite slab. This is not coupling to my mind. This is isolation in a sense, it's a bit like spikes onto a concrete floor. In this situation I would isolate - just my personal preference you understand. Ideally if one could afford it I would stick all floorstanders on Townshend Seismic isolation stands. :)

pravstar

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
My floors are unfortunately laminated flooring, so I think spike shoes are my best option. I have already put plywood onto the racks which has improved the soundstage dramatically

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
pravstar said:
My floors are unfortunately laminated flooring, so I think spike shoes are my best option. I have already put plywood onto the racks which has improved the soundstage dramatically
Spike shoes are specifically designed for protecting the floor.

You can make your own using 1p pieces and those sticky, felt Laminate floor protectors that you put on chair legs etc. With a Punch, put a dent into each coin for the spike to sit in, and stick the floor protector on the other side. Job done.

BTW. I'm glad the plywood worked for you.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
pravstar said:
Thanks cno. I actually have lots of spare plywood and lots of mdf , could I use this on my rack, and I have some leftover granite worktop so I wouldn't need to buy anything. I'm sounding like a stingy ****** but if I can recycle what I have, even have spare tiles, then that's a real bonus.

Can I just ask you a last question.

Plywood or mdf?

Granite slabs for speakers, spikes in or out?

Thanks

If you like a bassy sound use plywood or if you like a brighter sound use mdf.
Sorry bad joke

SteveR750

You can probably source cones that use the same pitch / dia for your speakers from t'bay. I've got my speakers on their proprietry cones on top of some granite kitchen pads from tesco. The cones mark the **** out of my floor, spikes would be ridiculous, mine is a laminate suspended floor too.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
The cones mark the **** out of my floor, spikes would be ridiculous, mine is a laminate suspended floor too.
What is wrong with spikes into spike shoes, as it allows the speakers to be easily levelled and protects the floor.

You can get spike shoes that help isolate the speakers, or have a tacky base to prevent movement, or make them yourself as I suggested above for a few pence.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
pravstar said:
My floors are unfortunately laminated flooring

This stuff seems to be taking over like lino did in the 40s. And it's even worse for sound quality, because at least lino had some absorbency. People lay laminate floors everywhere then moan at their poor hifi when it suddenly sounds cr-p (not that you've moaned as such...just generalising). You can sit your stands on coins, laminate blocks, lump of concrete, until you're blue in the face. You could help matters by putting thick rugs in front of the speakers, but frequently such solutions are incompatible with one's domestic partner.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
pravstar said:
My floors are unfortunately laminated flooring

This stuff seems to be taking over like lino did in the 40s. And it's even worse for sound quality, because at least lino had some absorbency. People lay laminate floors everywhere then moan at their poor hifi when it suddenly sounds cr-p (not that you've moaned as such...just generalising). You can sit your stands on coins, laminate blocks, lump of concrete, until you're blue in the face. You could help matters by putting thick rugs in front of the speakers, but frequently such solutions are incompatible with one's domestic partner.
I had Laminate Flooring for a while. I hated it. Any marks showed up as while dots and it played havoc with the sound. I now have carpet and a rug...one of the best upgrades I have made for sound quality, along with isolating the speakers from the suspended wooden floor (Auralex Grammas).

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I had Laminate Flooring for a while. I hated it. Any marks showed up as while dots and it played havoc with the sound. I now have carpet and a rug...one of the best upgrades I have made for sound quality, along with isolating the speakers from the suspended wooden floor (Auralex Grammas).

Indeed. I was also going to suggest (in jest) instead of rugs he could carpet-tile the ceiling, unsurprisingly that's often even more of a no-no than rugs in front of the speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts