Speaker cables

David-L

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello

I am using PMC twenty 24 speakers which, I am running via a Arcam CD 36 FMJ. Arcam C30 per amp and a P35 power amp. The cable I am using at present is Rega, the flat type with the see through sleeve. Before this I was using Naim cable, NAC A5. The stiff hard to use cable, so much so that the banana plug and cable have broken in the shrink wrap on a couple of connections. At present the speakers are bi wired, and the room is a standard terraced house 14 by 12 foot room with chimney breast, and laminate floor. I have been told that I will get a large improvement all round with Chord Epic twin cable. At £40 plus per metre I hope so. I would also not be bi wiring at that price, needing four 3m runs. I would be grateful if anyone has any suggestions for cable for my setup. I am also told there is no appreciable gains to bi wiring. Thanks in advance. David

abacus

Hi David

There are many threads on speaker cable on the site so just do a quick search.

The most important is to compare cables yourself using a blind test, (You do not know which cable is in use or even if it was changed from the previous test) as that is the only way to make a decision.

Everybody that tests this way you will find cannot tell any difference from the quality cable as used in film and production studios (2.5mm sq. OFC copper) and any of the more expensive (And so called special) cables. (Thus you can save yourself a considerable amount of money)

Remember only you can decide if there is any difference, just make sure (Without exception) that you test using a proper blind test.

Hope this helps

Bill

A

Anonymous

abacus said:
Hi David

The most important is to compare cables yourself using a blind test, (You do not know which cable is in use or even if it was changed from the previous test) as that is the only way to make a decision.

Everybody that tests this way you will find cannot tell any difference from the quality cable as used in film and production studios (2.5mm sq. OFC copper) and any of the more expensive (And so called special) cables. (Thus you can save yourself a considerable amount of money)

Remember only you can decide if there is any difference, just make sure (Without exception) that you test using a proper blind test.

Hope this helps

Bill

Or if there is a difference, is it really a 40 quid a metre difference ?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Alantiggger said:
Do not spend too much as there is LITTLE difference in quality of sound...... folk are , it seems... being led up the garden path with many a cable !

That's assuming the person trying the cables is completely under the spell of the person making the recommendation.

Nobody is ordering the OP to buy a cable, but making suggestions for him to try.

David-L

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
When I demoed the speakers, I asked what cable was being used. I was told Chord Odessy, but I would like to try two or three different cables at home if possible. Thanks for your reply.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
David-L said:
When I demoed the speakers, I asked what cable was being used. I was told Chord Odessy, but I would like to try two or three different cables at home if possible. Thanks for your reply.

Although I have heard worthwhile differences in (certain) cables, I thoroughly agree with everyone who has said that this needs to be assessed on a VFM basis. IMO You should never spend more on cables than would bring greater benefits, if spent elsewhere in the system.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Graham slee Spatia speaker cables are outstanding and much cheaper than epic and tellerium q but still on that level of performance

Epic is good but you need great room acoustics to hear all the detail / soundstaging otherwise they can sound harsh I have owned it.

You can get home demo of the Spatia as well visit the GSP Audio forum - it's seriously impressive cable if you have everything setup right

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
David-L said:
I am using PMC twenty 24 speakers...

As far as I recall, the guy that designs and voices PMC speakers (is it Pete Thomas?) uses Van Damme cables, which are simple, inexpensive, good quality OFC - which cost as little as a couple of pounds per meter on Amazon - probably not very different to your Rega cables. I know of people with top-end PMC speakers (IB2/MB2 etc) who've tried very, very expensive speaker cables with their PMC's, yet always seem to come back to Van Damme. The common view they hold is that as PMC speakers were designed with it, voiced with it, tested and demo'd with it, if your system doesn't sound right with it, then there's probably something wrong elsewhere in your system. It's just an opinion.

David-L

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks wireman yes I think you are right it is Pete Thomas. I will give it a try at that price I can afford to buy them and sell them on if I do not particularly like them.

wbarr

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I use Van Damme cable with my PMC Twenty 21s, and it hits the spot. See no reason to spend a penny more. I'm using this stuff:

http://www.van-damme.com/25.html

Many others use the blue or black cable, presumably because of the more hard wearing cable jacket, giving the blue or black colour. However, when I researched this, the cable I'm using is (I think) a higher purity of copper. If that matters to you. :) No idea if it improves the sound, but, heck, the stuff is so inexpensive (I paid about £3.50 per metre - higher guage stuff comes in about £7.00 per metre, which may be more suitable for the floor standing 24s) that I don't think you can go wrong.

David-L

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I have just been looking at the cable, and you are right I think the 2.5 mm is £3.50 and the higher gauge blue or black is 6mm and£7.00. Even terminated, it is well under the price of some cables.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Same thoughts as abacus...

"Hi David

Hope this helps

Bill"

Don't waste money ? :cheers:

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
H David,

Welcome to the crazy world of cabling debates!

I for one am an advocate for spending sensible (ie relative to the equipment) money on cables and if you are looking at Chord products, check out Rumour or Odessey ( same as rumour with a tad more bass). There is also a lot of positive feedback on the TQ Black cables although I have not tried them myself.

I don't see the point of having great gear only to use cheap cables?! As an example, I recently swapped out the cheap Gale branded copper cables on my Dad's modest Cambridge Audio/Tannoy set up with some QED Silver Anniversary cable and there was a real improvement, especially with mid range and higher frequencies. Even my Dad commented on the improvements!

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
So what influences the sound coming thru the cable,amp or speaker...do certain cables work better with certain kit(ie:whats best for mine :oops: )EDIT:just read a thread fom 2010,and this answered my question,but i can tell you,it got very ugly in there :shame:

Also what is recomended for teriminating?.....i have mine bear wired into amp's/speakers.

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi david,the best advice that i can give you is trust your own ears,and when you try out new cables ,give them some time to run in,dont be quick to juge a cable in five minutes,when i bought my speaker cable it sounded rubbish ,but the dealer that sold me the cable would take time to burn in .in the end it took about 3 weeks of playing music to really hear what they were capable of .most of all enjoy the music .good luck .cheers david

michael hoy

GSB said:
So what influences the sound coming thru the cable,amp or speaker...do certain cables work better with certain kit(ie:whats best for mine :oops: )EDIT:just read a thread fom 2010,and this answered my question,but i can tell you,it got very ugly in there :shame:

Also what is recomended for teriminating?.....i have mine bear wired into amp's/speakers.

Hi GSB,

I would use banana plugs, better connection and no chance of stray wires shorting across the amp.

David-L

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks once again to all for your help and advice. I have just purchased some Van Damme 2.5 mm, shotgun OFC 5 m lengths, that's the minimum you can purchase from them, online at least. The only problem being the connections which do not fit my speakers, and Van Damme do not do the connection I need. That aside I have stopped bi wiring my speakers, and I am using the Rega cable into the LF terminals, and there is a marked difference. I have just finished listening to Mark Knopfler Sultans of swing The very best of. The space between instruments is noticeable. I am listening to some older recordings which sound very good too. As soon as I get the Van Damme run in I will post my views. I would still like to try the Telurim black though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts