Speaker cables for Dali Zensor 1

gasolin

Now i have my system i want to use for a long time but i am not shure if the QED Original ist the right cables for my Denon DRA-F109 and Dali Zensor 1,i bought it beacuse it's has got good review's, some say it has a sligt decreased top and round bas, so it's a good cable for bright sounding speakers that need a more warm sound.

I just think the sound is a bit to soft,i was a bit disapointed by the midrange because i thought i would be more open in the midrange(heard the speaker and reciver before i bougth it), so i am guessing the the Qed Original is making the upper midrange(and the midrange in generally) a bit to soft,less open.

The cable they used where i bought my speakers was some tara labs they don't sell anymore and i can't find the model on tara labs hompage

What are your surgestion for a more open, not agressive,harsh sounding speaker cable? What about Audioquest FLX-SLiP 14/4?

I live in denmark so it's not all cables i can get unlees they are available on something like amazon.co.uk and with shipping to denmark

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Give them a few weeks they may open up a bit with use. Cables may change the sound but not dramatically. Not sure if you can get Van Damme cables there but they are on ebay so you should be able to order them, their Studio Blue is about £2 a m and the OFC is about £4 a m, I don't think you will get miuch better cables than those without spending loads of money. If I were you I may give the VD OFC a punt as very little to lose unless you need a long run.

Of course your room and speaker positing can have a large effect on the sound.

gasolin

Cypher said:
Too bad you don't like the sound of the Dali Zensor speakers but buying other speaker cable won't make a difference.

It's not that i don't like the speakers it's just that i think i had choosen the wrong speaker cables

Like someone who reviewed the Qed qudos (thats surpose to be the Qed original before it was named Original) he worte:

The sony gear is a little bright to my tastes, even combined with the smooth tannoy, so it needed just a little taming. My hifi-dealer recommended my the qed qudos to calm things down a bit, which is exactly what it does

With that in mind it sounds like the cable ist to calm down, that it's better for bright,harsh,sharp sounding speakers like some speakers from cervin wega or speakers with a bright harsh cheap tweeter that can play loud but dosn't sound good like cheap party speakers

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Give them a few weeks they may open up a bit with use.

+1

BigH said:
Cables may change the sound but not dramatically.

+1

BigH said:
Of course your room and speaker positing can have a large effect on the sound.

+100!

Since living rooms in 99% cases are very different from those of hi-fi salons' , then the sound you have heard in the salon may change drammatically in your house. I doubt these are cables. But if it's hard to live with the idea about the cable, try to convince the dealer to give to you that tara labs cable on loan for one night only. And you will find out if the reason is in cable.

Regards,

Andrew

gasolin

BigH said:
You maybe interested in this old post:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/dali-zensor-1s-unnatural-high-end

Have seen that post, i think that the zensor 1 dosn't need that much softening of the upper midrange,lower treble, midrange,treble in generally (not that it should be agressive) as it gets with the Qed original and that's why the Qed Orignal may not be a perfect match if i want an open and neutral sound with a non harsh agressive top (midrange,tweeter).

It also depends on if it's a youtube video in 240p or some uncompromised music from pink floyd that are known for making music with good sound quality

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Yet another idea. Hope there will be no offence.

Dealers often use set-ups for over $2k per gadget (CDPs and Amps) + reference interconnects to get the most from the auditioned speakers. If you bought Zenzors 1 I guess your set up is of a similar price range. This can also be a reason.

But I still keep believing that the real reason is in your room acoustics.

Regards.

gasolin

The tara lab cable where only very short mabye 1 feet, 30 cm and they don't sell them any more, mabye tara labs has discontinued making that cable.

Giving them some few weeks :? Something you couldn't know, my speakers where demos because i wanted them i black and the only black ones where the demos, so i am not shure if they will have a different sound in a week or two.

I want a propper speaker stands for my desk and when i can afford it i will get these ones http://www.isoacoustics.com/ (i do use som speciel speaker foam so i can angle them up or down if i want to, the are not just on my desk with nothing between my speakers and my desk)

As i mentioned previously the sound depends on the quality of the music, uncompromised any day over mp3, the sound quality on youtube(minimum 720p or whats max) i can live with because i can hear music that would costs me alot of money if i had to buy it ;)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I think when you get a new system you tend to listen to it too closely, after a while you should be just listening to the music, if it still jars then maybe think of changing cables etc.

You say the speakers are on your desk? How far away from them are you?

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I've used the Dali Zensor 1 for a while but in the end I sold them. Midrange is fantastic but there was not enough bass present and the treble was a bit forward sounding. A bit unbalanced sounding. I now have the Monitor Audio BX2 and they are better in all areas.

Just my opinion.

gasolin

BigH said:
I think when you get a new system you tend to listen to it too closely, after a while you should be just listening to the music, if it still jars then maybe think of changing cables etc.

You say the speakers are on your desk? How far away from them are you?

2-3 feet about 60-100cm

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
gasolin said:
2-3 feet about 60-100cm

That could be part of your problem, hifi speakers are not designed to be used that close, near field monitors would be much better. If you move away to say 10 feet do they sound better?

gasolin

Cypher said:
I've used the Dali Zensor 1 for a while but in the end I sold them. Midrange is fantastic but there was not enough bass present and the treble was a bit forward sounding. A bit unbalanced sounding. I now have the Monitor Audio BX2 and they are better in all areas.

Just my opinion.

The ma BX2 are to expensive for now, but if i can afford it wouldn't mind the lektor 2's with in one year or so.

I acctually read about somebody who found the zensor 1 to be better then the ma BX2's http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/marantz-cr603-with-dali-zensor1-or-ma-bx2-or-other People are different, that's why theres so many choices we can make to get the best hifi for our money.

I like bass, but also think that if i want good bass i have to get big speakers or a big subwoofer,i sometimes play loud so really good and deep bass requires a big bass,subwoofer, the bass on the zensor's is there, try some electronic music like kraftwerk, depeche mode's remix vol 2 81-11 remember i am not sitting 10 feet away from the speakers (more then the dali concept 1 i had 3 years ago, back then i had 2x rotel rb-980bx and that's 2x 120 or 1x360watt, i had a very agressive twetter withthe concept), i do not need to play louder then i can and on a low budget, to me, it's more important that it sounds good then lots of bas, so i can enjoy listening to music .

My combination is soft sounding not much of a screaming, the only thing i am good at is play loud, sound.But stil a song,cd that sounds like ...... will always sound terrible no matter what you do

like some advice if i want som other speaker cables with a more open sound and a soft top, then the QED Original, i am not shure the QED Original has the right balance(couldn't find som reviews where they talk about how the sound is), might only be me who has to get used to the sound is a bit different then what i am used to "hear"

But for the price they are really good, think they would sound pretty good.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
gasolin said:
Sounds really good listening to someting like dire straits.

Is there a burn in time for cables like speakers?

That is the recording quality.

Its very debatable if cables benefit from burn-in , I think it is more to do with your hearing and brain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts