Speaker cable

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
What would happen if I had different lengths of cable on each speaker? ie 2x5m (biamped) on right speaker, and 2x3m on left speaker?

I ask because I bought some 6mm copper which was £64 in total for 16m (4x4m, terminated) and I don't think it's particularly good and want to replace with some second hand QED or suchlike - I don't really want to spend £200 like my current QED in the lounge cost, so I'd be looking to pick up cheaper on fleabay, ie a 20m reel for £50 and then I'd terminate them myself.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:What would happen if I had different lengths of cable on each speaker? ie 2x5m (biamped) on right speaker, and 2x3m on left speaker?

I ask because I bought some 6mm copper which was £64 in total for 16m (4x4m, terminated) and I don't think it's particularly good and want to replace with some second hand QED or suchlike - I don't really want to spend £200 like my current QED in the lounge cost, so I'd be looking to pick up cheaper on fleabay, ie a 20m reel for £50 and then I'd terminate them myself.

If you can tell the difference I would be amazed. Its usually not recommended, and I must admit to buying even lengths, but I know for a fact I couldnt blind test it.

by the way, which 6mm copper did you buy? I am currently testing some quite 'decent' wire against some Van Damme 4mm, and although I 'think' the new one may be better, I really am not sure. The 4mm Van Damme is extremely good wire at £3 per metre. (soundstable on ebay)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:What would happen if I had different lengths of cable on each speaker? ie 2x5m (biamped) on right speaker, and 2x3m on left speaker?

No difference at all Joel. I have one length of about 2.8m and another of 2m. I looked into the same before I bought mine and read that even if you had one of 15m and another of about 3m you would not notice a difference.

John Duncan

I'd be cautious, not for sonic reasons, but because I expect your Arcams are fairly smart, and are more likely than some to trip if they sense different resistances - my Yamaha AV amp did it when I tried (very) different lengths. Mail Arcam and ask.

A

Anonymous

Nah. With those lengths you won't be able to hear any difference as the difference in latency is minute. Only with really sensitive high end gear might you hear some perceptible differences ;-)(i.e compensation (for diff lengths) may be more difficult due to some fancy precise electronics ) ;-). I think resistance at those lengths is a non-issue as long the wire is large guage, so i wouldn't worry.

A

Anonymous

I read on some speaker building website that there wasn't an difference with cables that were IIRC about 1.5m - 3m, however some differences were measured when the same cable length was increased to over 10m i.e 1.5m coupled with 10m+ in a bi-wired setup.

A

Anonymous

I dont think your amp would even detect the difference in resistance etc over those lengths. I would check just incase, I guess it depends how detached the two channels are in the amp. The more 'dual mono' the design, the less likely you are to experience any problems.

I think the whole 'matching lengths' argument, for smallish runs, is purely a cable makers/sellers dream...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
thfcwestlower:
I dont think your amp would even detect the difference in resistance etc over those lengths. I would check just incase, I guess it depends how detached the two channels are in the amp. The more 'dual mono' the design, the less likely you are to experience any problems.

I think the whole 'matching lengths' argument, for smallish runs, is purely a cable makers/sellers dream...

Agreed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts