speaker cable upgrade

nbaptista

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Hello,

I have a Densen B 110 amp and a Rega DAC. My actual speaker cable is Audioquest Midnight. I was thinking upgrading it to Rega Duet or Qed XT 400. Any advice?

nbaptista

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I would be inclined to keep your current cables, but if curiosity is getting the better of you, make sure you borrow some and see for youself.

I would like to get some feedback about the Rega Duet!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nbaptista said:
CnoEvil said:
I would be inclined to keep your current cables, but if curiosity is getting the better of you, make sure you borrow some and see for youself.

I would like to get some feedback about the Rega Duet!

In order for that to be meaningful, they would need to have compared it directly with AQ Midnight......which is unlikely.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Why not buy great cables second hand on sites like Audiogon. They have Nordost, Cards, Vertere etc. for much much lower prices than new. Plus they were all burned in and now playing at full potential. Just a thought.

Hopefully members with experience on the matter regarding your original question will chime in.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
nbaptista said:
I´m not thinking on expensive speaker cable!

What's your max budget for speaker cable?

I believe the AQ Midnight is a decent Spiraled HyperLitz design, so not at all shabby.

midnight_c.jpg

midnight_plus.jpg

abacus

Whether you spend £1 a metre on 2.5 mm sq. cable at B & Q or £500 a metre for some exotic cable, they will make absolutely no difference to the sound of your system, so unless it is damaged stick with what you have and don’t waste your money.

Hope this helps

Bill

antskip

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
abacus said:
Whether you spend £1 a metre on 2.5 mm sq. cable at B & Q or £500 a metre for some exotic cable, they will make absolutely no difference to the sound of your system, so unless it is damaged stick with what you have and don’t waste your money.Bill

the above person does not notice any difference when they change speaker cables. that may or may not be the case for you. like everything audio, you just have to listen for yourself! perhaps visit a hfi showroom that lets you do some comparative listening, take your present cables with you, plus a favourite piece of recorded music.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
antskip said:
abacus said:
Whether you spend £1 a metre on 2.5 mm sq. cable at B & Q or £500 a metre for some exotic cable, they will make absolutely no difference to the sound of your system, so unless it is damaged stick with what you have and don’t waste your money.Bill

the above person does not notice any difference when they change speaker cables. that may or may not be the case for you. like everything audio, you just have to listen for yourself! perhaps visit a hfi showroom that lets you do some comparative listening, take your present cables with you, plus a favourite piece of recorded music.

...and if at all possible (unfortunately tricky unless the showroom owner is willing to play ball) try to get the cables swapped over out of your sight.

It is amazing how the 'night and day' changes disappear when you can't see the marketing.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
andyjm said:
It is amazing how the 'night and day' changes disappear when you can't see the marketing.
You can say the same thing about a lot of the electronics as well. HiFi is a personal experience so the OP needs to make up his own mind by listening to what he intends buying. If it works for him then happy days. FWIW I recently ditched my Nordost cables for £5 per metre Van Damme Tour Grade Bi-Wire cable and the same for my balanced interconnects from DAC to pre and pre to power stages. I thought the less expensive cable sounded marginally better so went for it. Not so however with the digital cables where I have retained my Studio Connections Reference cables which sound better. The point is that there is no "wrong". A bit like whisky tasting where everybody tastes different things in the same malt, it's personal experience and personal enjoyment.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip said:
andyjm said:
You can say the same thing about a lot of the electronics as well. HiFi is a personal experience so the OP needs to make up his own mind by listening to what he intends buying. If it works for him then happy days. FWIW I recently ditched my Nordost cables for £5 per metre Van Damme Tour Grade Bi-Wire cable and the same for my balanced interconnects from DAC to pre and pre to power stages. I thought the less expensive cable sounded marginally better so went for it. Not so however with the digital cables where I have retained my Studio Connections Reference cables which sound better. The point is that there is no "wrong". A bit like whisky tasting where everybody tastes different things in the same malt, it's personal experience and personal enjoyment.
*preved* *HELLO* *PREVED* *PRIVET* *HI*

nbaptista

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I believe the AQ Midnight is a decent Spiraled HyperLitz design, so not at all shabby.

I´ve heard a more recent AQ cable, and I couldn´t tell the differences!Why do you say is not so shabby?Spiraled Hyperlitz design is recent?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nbaptista said:
CnoEvil said:

I´ve heard a more recent AQ cable, and I couldn´t tell the differences!Why do you say is not so shabby?Spiraled Hyperlitz design is recent?

I'm saying it's a good cable with a well thought out design - if you think these things matter (which I do)....insight into Bill Lows's reasoning can be found on the AQ website, under "Theory and Eductation".

nbaptista

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I'm saying it's a good cable with a well thought out design - if you think these things matter (which I do)....insight into Bill Lows's reasoning can be found on the AQ website, under "Theory and Eductation".

I have tryed a few inexpensive cables and the AQ is far superior: I guess it utlize solid condutors, which make the difference

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nbaptista said:
CnoEvil said:

I have tryed a few inexpensive cables and the AQ is far superior: I guess it utlize solid condutors, which make the difference

You can see from some of the comments above why I don't like participating in cable threads.....though sometimes I will throw in a few suggestions.

It's such a divisive subject, that the only way is to try for oneself.

nbaptista

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
It's such a divisive subject, that the only way is to try for oneself.

Yes, I know. I have tryed a few speaker cables these years, and allways found a difference. But I agree that people are sugestionable... differences in speaker cables are not so great like a few suggest!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts