Speaker cable terminations

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
As I'm looking at trying out other speaker cables and it is so much cheaper to buy the lengths and screw on the plugs of my choice, I thought I'd ask what everyone's preferences are regarding speaker cable termination, particularly if people have a preference for manufacturer terminated vs DIY screw on bananas/spades.

Anything in particular to be gained/lost by the extra outlay of manufacturer terminated cables?

While I'm generally interested to hear DIY soldering stories, it isn't a path I'm going to go down. Also happy to hear from those of you who like to just screw in some naked cable and any advice about preventing/removing oxidization (if it even makes much of a difference).

Ta!

A

Anonymous

If you have time to read look at these:

http://www.another site/forums/interconnects-speaker-cables-switches/46335-bi-wiring-cables-what-load-long.html

and

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

You may not like the answers especially if like me you cannot shake off the influence to purchase 5 star cable. BUT a good point is the articles that noone could argue against is more physical connections increase resistance and going bare is preferable - my brother read this and cut off his bananas so to speak !!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. The first link doesn't seem to work. The 2nd link I'd read, but never really paid attention to the part on connections.

I was hoping, but with no basis on any real facts, that manufacturer terminated cable would for some reason not be as prone to oxidation. I think for convenience as much as anything I will still take the option of using bananas or spades.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
ID.:

As I'm looking at trying out other speaker cables and it is so much cheaper to buy the lengths and screw on the plugs of my choice, I thought I'd ask what everyone's preferences are regarding speaker cable termination, particularly if people have a preference for manufacturer terminated vs DIY screw on bananas/spades.

Anything in particular to be gained/lost by the extra outlay of manufacturer terminated cables?

While I'm generally interested to hear DIY soldering stories, it isn't a path I'm going to go down. Also happy to hear from those of you who like to just screw in some naked cable and any advice about preventing/removing oxidization (if it even makes much of a difference).

Ta!

WBT all the way, I use there crimping set that I brought a bit ago and I just use there sleeves, then crimp to the cable so its gas tight and I use the screw down connectors on the back of my speakers and AMP, takes more time then using WBT bananas on every speaker end, but £600 cheaper and the sleeves only cost 50p from Canada, plus doing it this way sounds the same as bare wires and stops oxidation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts