Speaker cable assistance needed..

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all. I've recently refurbished my living room and in doing so have lovely dark floorboards. Unfortunately, my Chord Carnival speaker cables stick out like a sore thumb, which is proving very troubling (especially for my long-suffering wife!!). Can anybody recommend a very dark-coloured single-run cable which would blend in with the aforementioned floor? Don't want to spend over £10 a metre, I'm running Monitor Audio BR5s with Cambridge A5 amp and Yamaha CDHD1300 HDD/CD player and Chord Cobra interconnects. Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Would it affect the sound quality if you varnished the cable a similar colour to your floor?

I personally would give this a go if potentially losing the re-sale value of these is not a concern! If it still sounds good to your ears, you're on to a winner

A

Anonymous

It's an idea I've considered, my only concern is whether the varnish would be detrimental to the cable? :)

A

Anonymous

I really dont know. Any of the more 'technical' guys here? Could you confirm?

As I suggested above Debagio, if you're not too worried about being able to sell the Chord cable on, give it a try and listen. Perhaps do one at a time and see if you experience any differences in a direct comparision between left and right channel.

I'd personally give this a try...

A

Anonymous

there is also the tin of paint option... or wiring your speakers under the floorboards :D

A

Anonymous

Have you thought about painting your floor same colour as your Chords? Problem solved.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="simonkee"]Have you thought about painting your floor same colour as your Chords? Problem solved.[/quote]

or getting some carpet? :) or rid of the wife?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
I had the same problem with seemingly endless metres of ugly cable (albeit QED Silver XT!) vs waxed renovated floorboards. The floor won.

So I strategically lifted a few floorboards & ran the cable underneath, through the joists, then out into each speaker via a wee hole in floorboard(s) near to skirting/wall. (BUT, be careful to wrap cable in silver foil if it's near underfloor central-heating pipes...)

If you're worried about leaving unsightly holes in floor when you move/sell, it's easy to fill 'n' sand, then cover with stain + wax/oil/varnish.

Or you could put the speaker cable inside white plastic conduit (approx £5 for 3m length, it's cut to fit + it has sticky peel-off strip on back for fixing), & then attach the conduit to skirting (where it meets the floor). Also, you can paint the conduit with the same paint as your skirting boards, & if you paint with a wee foam roller, you'll get a nice smooth finish. (OMG! This is turning into a DIY forum! 'I'll get my coat...')

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts