Warm speaker cable ideas...?

PrimeRib

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
My system is failry bright. Primare I20 into KEF Q5 speakers via a DacMagic. I play digital files exlcsuivle - but all lossless.

I have some cheap Silver cable from Richer Sounds. I used to have some nice Kimber and Chord stuff at my old place but it was roued under the floorboards!

Anyway, I know the Primare is kind of bright and the Kefs are nuetral - I don't want t change those so just leaves speaker and interconnects.

I've also got an Arcam airDAC on order but that probably won't help.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
to be honest, you shouldn't use cables to eq your system. If it's not sounding right, try moving the speakers, room treatment, or just down right changing the speakers.

PrimeRib

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I hear you. But wanted to try something less drastic first.

I've tried a few placement options but nothing much happens - sound staging changes but not tone.

I suggets cables because I have seen massive changes happen from 1 cable to another - albeit quality noyt tone.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
reason I said that is you've moved house judging by your original post, so things will sound different anyways so it may just be the fact that your new house/room isn't going to give you the tone you want with your current set up. Starting down the route of cables to achieve a particular tone imho is just going to be a neverending spiral. Much better to address the main issues.

If you're playing everything digital, what is the source player? Can you try using an eq on that and see if that helps - just as a test of course.

PrimeRib

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
The source is just a WDTV medi box but linked optically to a DAC playing FLAC files.

The set up was bright in my oldplace too.

If I have to change the amp and / or speakers I will but they sound great otherwise.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I've heard that the dacmagics are bright, so it might be that that (bloody english language) is causing the issue. Somebody with more knowledge should hopefully be along soon to confirm/deny this :)

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Try some Atlas Hyper 2.0 or 3.0. Not what I'd call warm but very balanced and neutral.

I changed to the Hyper 2.0 from QED Silver Anniversary and the sound has less of the top end I used to have, Still plenty of detail though.

I think the current RRP is £20 p.m (used to be £15), but I managed to snag a 3 metre pair for £50 from eBay, not once but twice!

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Changing the speaker 'wire' can EVER change how your speaker sounds, for real ? (excuse the ignorance plz)

Argh, forgot to add, not an argument... just saying is all... so feel free to disagree... tis fine :type:

Jazzman53

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Since most people can't discern audible differences between high end cables and zip cord in blind tests, I think cables would be the least likely culprit in any objectionable sonics from a hi-fi system. That said, different cable configurations give different blends of resistance, capacitance and induction, which may be audible to some audiophiles. I say spend your time and money on the other components first, and then build or invest in high end cables if it suits your fancy. My system is bi-ampd so I use two sets of these DIY cross-connected coaxial cables.

songox

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I recently upgraded my chord carnival silverscreen to van damme blue 6mm because i was looking for bigger, better bass and since van damme has 6mm conductors vs chords 1.5mm i gained a lot of weight in the bottom frequencies. I used to listen through pure audio mode on my AVR, i had to recalibrate the sound and use audissey eq to tame those low frequencies. It would deffinately add weight to bright sounding system for a very resonable price! ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts