Sound problems: Turntable to Marantz PM6004

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, new to the site and forum :) . I bought the Marantz PM6004 about a month ago and started using with a Soundlab GO56C turntable (as well as a CD player). The sound wasn't coming out of the right speaker at first but then started to work (don't think I really did anything!). Has been fine until today when the same problem has reappeared. The CD player works fine still.

Unsure what the problem might be. Could it be that the turntable is incompatible with the amp somehow? On a separate note, the turntable doesn't have a ground wire but this might be irrelevant.

Can anyone help as I'm unsure what to do to solve the problem

Thanks!

PAULCHRISTOPHER

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi not talking as an expert but I recently bought a Marantz PM6004 & CD6004. & Q Acoustics 2500i speakers. I am using this wih a Technics SL-BD22 turntable. This has a grounding lead which is designed to reduce hum. The absence of such a lead would not stop the signal from the cartridge which should be a MM (moving magnet) cartridge .I understand that the PM6004 would not support a MC ( moving coil ) cartridge - the output would not be enough. If you have intermitant output from one channel on the anplifier then it looks like you either have faulty connections or a faulty amplifier. This has overload protection but this would result in a total shutdown. It looks like poor connections to me

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
There is a switch at the back of the turntable called 'Phono Line'. (It's next to the USB output.)

I think this is supposed to be switched to 'Phono' when connecting to the 'Phono' input on your amp (and 'Line' for an amp without a dedicated 'Phono' input).

There also appears to be a GND terminal on your deck.

Try connecting a ground lead (any thin bit of insulated wire) between that and the GND terninal on your amp.

g056c_in2.jpg

A

Anonymous

Thanks for posting replies both.

I definitely have the 'Phono' switch on - it's been working fine for a month and I haven't changed anything. Interestingly, my turnatable is different to the picture as it doesn't have a GND connection.

I can only imagine it's the amp (probably out of warrenty now) as I tried a cable that was connecting the CD player and it was the same when connecting to the turntable.

An odd problem for sure!

A

Anonymous

Chebby - sorry about that, it was bought new, not sure where I got that warranty comment from!!!

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Update (in case anyone has the same issue)

Problem solved by reconnecting the cartridge on the turntable - it seems a dodgy connection (as suggested above)

Hope this helps someone in the future.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts