Sound advice... Am I getting the best from my kit??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

Woah, first ever forum post, ever... Nerves out the way, here goes...

I inherited a hi-fi system from a late friend last year. In his memory I wish to milk every last drop of quality from the kit. I understand that 'quality' is in some regards down to personal taste, but I'll try anyway... As follows...

Rega Mira amp, bought in 2004 I believe
Rega Planet CD Player
Dynaudio Audience 62 floor-standers
QED XT-350 speaker cable
Van den Hul, D-102 Mk III Hybrid interconnect
QED Qonduit mains power cable to the CD player, standard mains wire to the amp.

Room size - (WidthxLengthxHeight) 3.5m x 5.5m by 3m. Speakers sit 55cm from short wall (Width) and side walls.

I like the sound very much, especially at high volume, but sometimes I can't help but think the bass is not controlled enough, and mid-range can sometimes feel flat with rock music and complex arrangements.

Can anyone think of a place to investigate? Or am I nit-picking? Could more mains conditioning improve things? I have tried speaker positioning, whihc improves things a little.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

idc

My advice would be to repost this in the hifi part of the forum where there will be far more views. I had the Mira amp with Arcam CDP and B&W speakers and was happy with the sound of rock through it. I would also say that a mains conditioner will only make a minor difference and will not sort out your flat rock. From another very involved post, the problem with rock music is that, it is often not that well recorded in the first place!

Actually, one suggestion is that the Mira runs very hot with its lower cooling vanes. Do not have any other kit or cables on or under it and raise it up to increase ventilation, I used small wooden childrens building blocks.

A

Anonymous

Change the cables from QED to Chord, that will tame the base. I had the XT 300 and changed to Chord's Odyssey 2 cables, and wow what an improvement....deeper base, but more controlled, not boomy, mids and highs clearer too.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice so far... Re-posted this topic in 'Hi-Fi', as suggested.

Cheers,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts