Sorry now looking for a good streamer

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Paulq said:
Andrewjvt said:
I think this place is making you go round in circles.

Take a step back and decide what functionality you need and don't be overly concerned about the so called hifi technology as this is just a pc basically. If you carry on down this road you will have no money for speakers in a few months time.

Spot on. 
I also have sympathy with this, and said so earlier. IMO it is caused by so many alternative, differing and conflicting opinions on here...all of which are valid in their own way.

There comes a point where you have to stop reading other people's opinions and start listening....that can then help put things in perspective and help decide where in the system money should be spent.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Anyway Andrew it’s my chance to listen to speakers as well as streamers at the same time and to hear some speakers that have been talked about on here in the past like ATC , PMC , focal , spender , Kefs that I’ve never listened to before so it’s a good chance just to listen without buying anything as I’ve kept my views narrow to Dali speakers and that’s it .

And if I can take my back breaking amplifier with me hooked to some Kefs or any of the other makes the dealer recommends then at least it gives me an idea what’s possible .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Paulq said:
Andrewjvt said:
I think this place is making you go round in circles.

Take a step back and decide what functionality you need and don't be overly concerned about the so called hifi technology as this is just a pc basically. If you carry on down this road you will have no money for speakers in a few months time.

Spot on.
I also have sympathy with this, and said so earlier. IMO it is caused by so many alternative, differing and conflicting opinions on here...all of which are valid in their own way.

There comes a point where you have to stop reading other people's opinions and start listening....that can then help put things in perspective and help decide where in the system money should be spent.
Yes I agree it’s time for me to find out for my self and demo some stuff but understand that everyone has there opinions on here what they think is good or bad and I think the only thing I’ve brought from some people’s recommendations was my SVS subwoofer that’s only thing I’ve brought from some people’s opinions and it’s a really good subwoofer .

But the other stuff I own I didn’t ask someone opinion and I’ve only asked about streamers because I do not no much about them and you have recommended the linn streamer with your opinion weather that’s right or wrong I will find out and demo it for myself and find out if it’s any good so no harm done here .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO Our job is to give you suggestions for your demo list, without imposing our preferences on you.
Your job is to negotiate the "minefield" and come out the other side with a piece of kit that is right for you, your system and your budget.

I look forward to your thoughts on what you hear.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Enjoy I'm just trying to help you not make a mistake
I am just window shopping Andrew

I had a bit of a fright today I was messing around hooking up my Yamaha streamer to my amplifier anyway I read the instructions on what’s the best way of connecting the streamer to my amplifier because normally I use the Dac on my CD player but that’s still away at the moment

So I found out that I should use RCAs into main on the back of the amplifier so the Yamaha streamer acts as a Pre- streamer and last time I tried this my old amplifier went into protection mode for some reason so I was a bit nervous about doing this

So anyway hooked it all up then turned the amplifier back on then the streamer and pressed and then chose my song .. next minute 200watts was let lose and I quickly tried to turn the volume down on the amplifier... that didn’t work then quickly thought the Yamaha streamer is acting as a pre so the volume control was not on my amplifier but on the streamer and that sorted it but that seriously *shok*me that was truly loud as I was sitting next to my speakers at the time

But since then I found a different way of connecting the Yamaha streamer up though the line level 1 which now lets me control the volume from the amplifier instead of the streamer

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
you plugged into the home cinema bypass you donut :)
yes I know that now*mail1* that was seriously loud and my speakers will handle 200 watts no problems but I couldn’t and it did take a little while before my ears where back to normal anyway I was deeply in thought as you do when your playing with cables

insider9

Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:

I had a bit of a fright today I was messing around hooking up my Yamaha streamer to my amplifier anyway I read the instructions on what’s the best way of connecting the streamer to my amplifier because normally I use the Dac on my CD player but that’s still away at the moment 

So I found out that I should use RCAs into main on the back of the amplifier so the Yamaha streamer acts as a Pre- streamer and last time I tried this my old amplifier went into protection mode for some reason so I was a bit nervous about doing this 

So anyway  hooked it all up then turned the amplifier back on then the streamer and pressed and then chose my song .. next minute 200watts was let lose and I quickly tried to turn the volume down on the amplifier... that didn’t work then quickly thought the Yamaha streamer is acting as a pre so the volume control was not on my amplifier but on the streamer and that sorted it but that seriously *shok*me that was truly loud as I was sitting next to my speakers at the time 

But since then I found a different way of connecting the Yamaha streamer up though the line level 1 which now lets me control the volume from the amplifier instead of the streamer 
Oh man! Hope you're ok. My ears took a good while to get back to normal after I did something similar not long ago. And my tinnitus has been back ever since and worse than before. I do get good spells with it but that certainly didn't help.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:

So anyway hooked it all up then turned the amplifier back on then the streamer and pressed and then chose my song .. next minute 200watts was let lose and I quickly tried to turn the volume down on the amplifier... that didn’t work then quickly thought the Yamaha streamer is acting as a pre so the volume control was not on my amplifier but on the streamer and that sorted it but that seriously *shok*me that was truly loud as I was sitting next to my speakers at the time

Oh man! Hope you're ok. My ears took a good while to get back to normal after I did something similar not long ago. And my tinnitus has been back ever since and worse than before. I do get good spells with it but that certainly didn't help.
stupid really but my amplifier knocked out 200 Watts in one go and I was sitting right next to the speaker as well but one thing is at least I no what 200 watts sounds like now but my ears did feel funny for a little while afterwards .

But have managed to integrate the Yamaha streamer now with my amplifier so it’s now connected in line 1 on my amplifier now and the Yamaha wxc50 is using its own Dac and to be honest it does sound better .

I did look at the wxc50 manual to find out what’s the best connection as each connection choice has its own benefits so I’ve read and didn’t realise the Yamaha wxc50 does DSD but depends on what connection you use so that’s how I understand it as I was using Coaxial before but the manual says I wouldn’t get DSD by using that connection so all I have is a set of RCAs to use between the streamer and amplifier.

But ive got to be honest the Yamaha wxc50 does sound really good having it connected straight to the amplifier instead of going though the CD player then passing the sound onto the amplifier .

I think I will buy a Nas drive tomorrow and use that with the Yamaha for a little while and see how I get on

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Would be interesting to know how you find it blacksabbath, as and when you try it of course.

I only tried normal flac's and found it to be very good. The thought of trying DSD really skipped me.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:

So anyway  hooked it all up then turned the amplifier back on then the streamer and pressed and then chose my song .. next minute 200watts was let lose and I quickly tried to turn the volume down on the amplifier... that didn’t work then quickly thought the Yamaha streamer is acting as a pre so the volume control was not on my amplifier but on the streamer and that sorted it but that seriously *shok*me that was truly loud as I was sitting next to my speakers at the time 

stupid really but my amplifier knocked out 200 Watts in one go and I was sitting right next to the speaker as well but one thing is at least I no what 200 watts sounds like now but my ears did feel funny for a little while afterwards .

But have managed to integrate the Yamaha streamer now with my amplifier so it’s now connected in line 1 on my amplifier now and the Yamaha wxc50 is using its own Dac and to be honest it does sound better .

I did look at the wxc50 manual to find out what’s the best connection as each connection choice has its own benefits so I’ve read and didn’t realise the Yamaha wxc50 does DSD but depends on what connection you use so that’s how I understand it as I was using Coaxial before but the manual says I wouldn’t get DSD by using that connection so all I have is a set of RCAs to use between the streamer and amplifier. 

But ive got to be honest the Yamaha wxc50 does sound really good having it connected straight to the amplifier instead of going though the CD player then passing the sound onto the amplifier .

I think I will buy a Nas drive tomorrow and use that with the Yamaha for a little while and see how I get on 

I'm glad to hear that
Get the Nas up and running.
Rip your CDs then if the itch still needs scratching then you can home audition some other streamers.
Don't expect large difference as you can tell between your cd player and the streamer.

newlash09 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
newlash09 said:
But I have one correction in my post regarding the allo digi one. It doesn't have any music software onboard. And companies spend a lot of money designing software for their streams. So it is not exactly an apples to apples comparison. But I hope you get my drift :)

Now starting off where cnoevil stopped. The shop even stocks devialets. Maybe you can try those and see. And if you like it, you can consider one either new or second hand.

I bought an old first gen devialet going cheap , because I found the incessant interconnect, DAC and streamer debates a little taxing. The devialet is an all in one. Streamer + DaC +amp. Just add speakers and you're good to go. The simplicity and possibility to reduce the box count in my dining room appealed to me. So now the only two things I have to debate over are power conditioners +power cables and speaker cables.

Just a suggestion, that's all. This will end your streamer + DAC conundrum. I know you just bought your Yamaha. But maybe they do trade ins :)
No way Newlash my Yamaha A-S3000 is my last amplifier I am going to buy it’s for ever it’s a end game amplifier for me that’s it now buying amplifiers .

i do not mind improving on my current streamer and maybe my speakers at some point but there is a limit on what you can afford you know and hifi can be very expensive if you get carried away with it .

I must admit feeling a little guilty after posting the above suggestion. Shouldnt have suggested another costly upgrade , just when you bought a great amp of your dreams.

Glad and happy you are firm on your decision to stick with the Yamaha. Please go ahead with your pursuit for a streamer ...
Don’t feel too guilty, as I’m pretty sure that BS said about six months ago he’d never upgrade his 2100 Yamaha amp!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
nopiano said:
newlash09 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
newlash09 said:
But I have one correction in my post regarding the allo digi one. It doesn't have any music software onboard. And companies spend a lot of money designing software for their streams. So it is not exactly an apples to apples comparison. But I hope you get my drift :)

Now starting off where cnoevil stopped. The shop even stocks devialets. Maybe you can try those and see. And if you like it, you can consider one either new or second hand.

I bought an old first gen devialet going cheap , because I found the incessant interconnect, DAC and streamer debates a little taxing. The devialet is an all in one. Streamer + DaC +amp. Just add speakers and you're good to go. The simplicity and possibility to reduce the box count in my dining room appealed to me. So now the only two things I have to debate over are power conditioners +power cables and speaker cables.

Just a suggestion, that's all. This will end your streamer + DAC conundrum. I know you just bought your Yamaha. But maybe they do trade ins :)
No way Newlash my Yamaha A-S3000 is my last amplifier I am going to buy it’s for ever it’s a end game amplifier for me that’s it now buying amplifiers .

i do not mind improving on my current streamer and maybe my speakers at some point but there is a limit on what you can afford you know and hifi can be very expensive if you get carried away with it .

I must admit feeling a little guilty after posting the above suggestion. Shouldnt have suggested another costly upgrade , just when you bought a great amp of your dreams.

Glad and happy you are firm on your decision to stick with the Yamaha. Please go ahead with your pursuit for a streamer ...
Don’t feel too guilty, as I’m pretty sure that BS said about six months ago he’d never upgrade his 2100 Yamaha amp!
I didn’t do to bad as I did have the Yamaha a-S2100 for 2 years and 6 months that’s pretty good for me and anyway the Yamaha A-S3000 is the flagship amplifier so I can’t upgrade to the next model *biggrin*

Blacksabbath25 said:
nopiano said:
newlash09 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
newlash09 said:

I didn’t do to bad as I did have the Yamaha a-S2100 for 2 years and 6 months that’s pretty good for me and anyway the Yamaha A-S3000 is the flagship amplifier so I can’t upgrade to the next model *biggrin*
....Until you come home with a Linn DS and a pair of active ATC speakers! ;-)

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
nopiano said:
newlash09 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
newlash09 said:

....Until you come home with a Linn DS and a pair of active ATC speakers! ;-)

That’s a combination I’d love to hear!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Strictly Stereo said:
I just spent a very pleasant afternoon listening to a Linn Majik DS with a pair of Dutch & Dutch 8c active speakers.
what did you think ? I can’t get my demo till next week and I tried to buy a Nas drive from PC world today but they didn’t have anything any good so it looks like Amazon now to buy one .

Strictly Stereo

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
what did you think ? I can’t get my demo till next week and I tried to buy a Nas drive from PC world today but they didn’t have anything any good so it looks like Amazon now to buy one .

I thought the combination sounded very good indeed. We did most of our listening using the coax digital output from the Majik DS straight in the back of the speakers, which have built-in DACs.

We had a couple of minor issues with Kazoo on Android over the course of the afternoon, both of which were resolved by restarting the app. Kazoo is not a particular favourite of mine, but it is definitely serviceable. We had a more serious issue with the separate Konfig app, both Mac and PC versions, which were used to enable the coax output and set its output to "raw", and also to update the firmware on the Majik DS. However, we managed to overcome that too with some tinkering.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Did you use the DACs in the Linn at all...and if so, how did it compare? Using the MDS as a transport, seems to be an expensive way of doing it and bypases the reason for using the Linn in the first place.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes I agree Cno

But stereoman hasn’t said what the linn streamer sounded like and why not use the onboard Dac on the linn streamer

But if the Dac wasn’t used in the linn streamer then you can’t really say how good the linn streamer was unless your where just looking at its functions and user abilitie

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I will find out next week as I’ve got a demo booked with a linn streamer and Kef reference 3s and my amplifier hopefully but the dealer I am going to doesn’t sell Dali or Yamaha so I will have to go with the Kefs reference 3s and see how I get on but i will be using the onboard Dac on the linn streamer and seeing everything it does for the money .

And I am thinking of taking the Yamaha wxc50 as well to compare what the difference is between streamers because sometimes not everything comes down to high cost .

Not sure what to expect with the Kef reference 3s as they are 3 times the amount my speakers cost so they should be good

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
nopiano said:
newlash09 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
newlash09 said:

i do not mind improving on my current streamer and maybe my speakers at some point but there is a limit on what you can afford you know and hifi can be very expensive if you get carried away with it  .

I didn’t do to bad as I did have the Yamaha a-S2100 for 2 years and 6 months that’s pretty good for me and anyway the Yamaha A-S3000 is the flagship amplifier so I can’t upgrade to the next model *biggrin*
....Until you come home with a Linn DS and a pair of active ATC speakers!  ;-)

That was a low blow and yes I like your style

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts