Sorry now looking for a good streamer

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
lpv said:
it depends.. if you like to add some more files you need to disconnect and connect again your hard drive ( not very convenient).. maybe hard drives are cheap but personaly I dont like noise they produce ( unless you can hide them away) and solid state drives arent as cheap

Why do you need to disconnect and connect again your hard drive?

My ext Seagate HD is quiet, well I can't hear it anyway.

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Mine is a USB drive the size of a *** packet and makes no noise whatsoever? Disconnect and reconnect takes all of about 10 seconds. Can't do with the faff of NAS drives - another set of wires and cables etc. My USB drive sits round the back of the receiver and is not visible at all.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
No I had to cancel because I had to buy a new Pc..
Can you please go and listen to some interesting kit, as this forum needs something to chat about (aside from Brexit, that is). :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Strictly Stereo said:
CnoEvil said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Can you please go and listen to some interesting kit, as this forum needs something to chat about (aside from Brexit, that is). :)

I'll send him something.
Good Man....and maybe Inside 9 can send him a Shoe Box amp.

Things are looking up.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Strictly Stereo said:
CnoEvil said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

I'll send him something.
Good Man....and maybe Inside 9 can send him a Shoe Box amp.

Things are looking up.
I Did look at the Linn streamer but not with the Kefs as they never had them in stock but they did have PMCs 25s I think they where but not my cup of tea .

I did like the linn functions with internet radio and the linn streamer did sound ok but I walked away thinking does my Yamaha wxc50 sound the same and I tried to remember the sound when I got home but my feelings are the linn streamer is just a little more cleaner sounding and the detail was good but the Yamaha wxc50 is not far behind the linn streamer .

If one come up on eBay for sale at a very good price I think I would buy one but not the full retailer price as they are expensive and obviously the demo was done with different speakers and a different amplifier .

It would of been nice to have a home demo with the linn streamer to find out if the streamer would sound better compared with my Yamaha wxc50 but I would have to pay the full price just to have a home demo which I didn’t want to do .

But since my Yamaha wxc50 has been directly hooked to my amplifier and not my CD player I feel the sound has got pretty good even playing iTunes music but if I play flac through the Yamaha wxc50 and use tidal flac file on a album that’s very well recorded the sound is amazing but unfortunately not all music is recorded this way as you can play some compressed music on the linn streamer and then it sounds just the same as the Yamaha wxc50 but both players when your playing quality then you understand how good music can sound .

So for now I will keep my Yamaha wxc50 It does what I want it to do very well and it’s a excellent value for money streamer for its price but if a linn streamer came up secondhand I would consider one .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Good for you, for trying.

It's hard to judge through speakers you don't particularly like....but I think you are being sensible. There is absolutely no point spending money if you don't get a VFM improvement.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Good for you, for trying.

It's hard to judge through speakers you don't particularly like....but I think you are being sensible. There is absolutely no point spending money if you don't get a VFM improvement.
it’s a lot of money for a small improvement and that’s what you got to think about is it really worth it but my issue is with the Yamaha wxc50 I can play flac cd quality though the Yamaha wxc50 using tidal but I am having trouble sending Flac files to the Yamaha wxc50 using my network from my Pc but I can using the Oppo .

So basically got to buy streamer that will play flac from my Pc to what ever streamer I end up with unless I am doing something wrong with the Yamaha wxc50 in its settings as it should play Flac files on the server settings but that only shows iTunes library but not my flac files .

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
BS, Have you thought about getting a home demo of an Innuous... I'm thoroughly enjoying the Zenith MKii... it rips all your CD's to FLAK and it does it pretty quickly and it's very easy to operate, best of all it sounds excellent, as good as my CDP.

Innuous are bringing out new models so you might be able to pick one up at a good price... Strictly Stereo who contributes on here, I'm sure would be willing to lend you one.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Macspur said:
BS, Have you thought about getting a home demo of an Innuous... I'm thoroughly enjoying the Zenith MKii... it rips all your CD's to FLAK and it does it pretty quickly and it's very easy to operate, best of all it sounds excellent, as good as my CDP.

Innuous are bringing out new models so you might be able to pick one up at a good price... Strictly Stereo who contributes on here, I'm sure would be willing to lend you one.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
I have managed to rip all of my CDs now to flac cd quality onto my Pc hard drive which is easy to do so no point in buying a streamer with built in ripper when I can use my Pc to do it but I was hoping to use my Pc as the main server then passing the info on to a streamer though my network which my Yamaha can do but not been successful yet passing on Flac information to the Yamaha .

but the Yamaha does show everything that I have on my iTunes library on the Yamaha network section but not the flac library and the Yamaha wxc50 shows on my Pc so not sure what to do to make that library to show

Strictly Stereo

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I have managed to rip all of my CDs now to flac cd quality onto my Pc hard drive which is easy to do so no point in buying a streamer with built in ripper when I can use my Pc to do it but I was hoping to use my Pc as the main server then passing the info on to a streamer though my network which my Yamaha can do but not been successful yet passing on Flac information to the Yamaha .

but the Yamaha does show everything that I have on my iTunes library on the Yamaha network section but not the flac library and the Yamaha wxc50 shows on my Pc so not sure what to do to make that library to show

According to the specs, the WXC-50 supports FLAC. What sort of server are you running for the FLAC files? UPnP, a file share or something else?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Strictly Stereo said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

According to the specs, the WXC-50 supports FLAC. What sort of server are you running for the FLAC files? UPnP, a file share or something else?
I am just using windows 10 and the files are on my hard drive on my Pc which i have oked my Pc to stream to the yamaha streaming which only shows my itunes music on the yamaha only and not the flac files but do i need a a bit of softwere to make the yamaha see theses files ?

Strictly Stereo

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I am just using windows 10 and the files are on my hard drive on my Pc which i have oked my Pc to stream to the yamaha streaming which only shows my itunes music on the yamaha only and not the flac files but do i need a a bit of softwere to make the yamaha see theses files ?

I will need a bit more detail in order to help, sorry. Maybe if you could describe the steps you took to "ok" streaming to the Yamaha? If it is easier, please just give me a call or email over some screen grabs. You can find my contact details by searching Google for "Strictly Stereo".

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Strictly Stereo said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

I will need a bit more detail in order to help, sorry. Maybe if you could describe the steps you took to "ok" streaming to the Yamaha? If it is easier, please just give me a call or email over some screen grabs. You can find my contact details by searching Google for "Strictly Stereo".

I'd give strictly a call to help you set up
He has 15 years IT experience

jjbomber

Blacksabbath25 said:

What about the Oppo? Does that play the FLAC files? It's Network>PC>File Location (usually Music) with the 105, so probably similar with the 203.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Strictly Stereo said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

but the Yamaha does show everything that I have on my iTunes library on the Yamaha network section but not the flac  library and the Yamaha wxc50 shows on my Pc so not sure what to do to make that library to show 

According to the specs, the WXC-50 supports FLAC. What sort of server are you running for the FLAC files? UPnP, a file share or something else?

You might need to setup a library management solution like Minimserver (free) or the similar solution from dbpoweramp can't recall the name think it's free if you have dbpower amp already great CD ripping software

point Minimsever at your library point the Yamaha at Minimserver

insider9

ellisdj said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Strictly Stereo said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

but the Yamaha does show everything that I have on my iTunes library on the Yamaha network section but not the flac  library and the Yamaha wxc50 shows on my Pc so not sure what to do to make that library to show 

According to the specs, the WXC-50 supports FLAC. What sort of server are you running for the FLAC files? UPnP, a file share or something else?

You might need to setup a library management solution like Minimserver (free) or the similar solution from dbpoweramp can't recall the name think it's free if you have dbpower amp already great CD ripping software

point Minimsever at your library point the Yamaha at Minimserver
Should be no need as Windows 10 can act as a DLNA server. I've used it with Xbox One in the past.

Sabbath, try following instructions I posted yesterday. That should do it.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Minimserver makes life easy and is designed to run as minimum resources as poss so it's a good option.
Inbuilt Windows stuff is rarely as good as third party products

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts