Sorry now looking for a good streamer

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My normal Laptop is in for repair, so I'm using an ancient, original iPad, which makes some websites almost unreadable.

Give the shop a ring and have a discussion. If they have a (current) used Akurate DS, it is a big step up from the Majik DS (IMO)...but so it should be, given the price difference.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
But I have one correction in my post regarding the allo digi one. It doesn't have any music software onboard. And companies spend a lot of money designing software for their streams. So it is not exactly an apples to apples comparison. But I hope you get my drift :)

Now starting off where cnoevil stopped. The shop even stocks devialets. Maybe you can try those and see. And if you like it, you can consider one either new or second hand.

I bought an old first gen devialet going cheap , because I found the incessant interconnect, DAC and streamer debates a little taxing. The devialet is an all in one. Streamer + DaC +amp. Just add speakers and you're good to go. The simplicity and possibility to reduce the box count in my dining room appealed to me. So now the only two things I have to debate over are power conditioners +power cables and speaker cables.

Just a suggestion, that's all. This will end your streamer + DAC conundrum. I know you just bought your Yamaha. But maybe they do trade ins :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think we may be screwing with your head. Just go to the shop, with (if possible), no preconceptions, have fun, listen and gain experience.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
But I have one correction in my post regarding the allo digi one. It doesn't have any music software onboard. And companies spend a lot of money designing software for their streams. So it is not exactly an apples to apples comparison. But I hope you get my drift :)

Now starting off where cnoevil stopped. The shop even stocks devialets. Maybe you can try those and see. And if you like it, you can consider one either new or second hand.

I bought an old first gen devialet going cheap , because I found the incessant interconnect, DAC and streamer debates a little taxing. The devialet is an all in one. Streamer + DaC +amp. Just add speakers and you're good to go. The simplicity and possibility to reduce the box count in my dining room appealed to me. So now the only two things I have to debate over are power conditioners +power cables and speaker cables.

Just a suggestion, that's all. This will end your streamer + DAC conundrum. I know you just bought your Yamaha. But maybe they do trade ins :)
No way Newlash my Yamaha A-S3000 is my last amplifier I am going to buy it’s for ever it’s a end game amplifier for me that’s it now buying amplifiers .

i do not mind improving on my current streamer and maybe my speakers at some point but there is a limit on what you can afford you know and hifi can be very expensive if you get carried away with it .

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I think we may be screwing with your head. Just go to the shop, with (if possible), no preconceptions, have fun, listen and gain experience.

As they say, an idle mind is a devil's workshop in my case :)

But I have always been waiting to sing the virtues of going devialet ...glad I got it off my chest :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
newlash09 said:

No way Newlash my Yamaha A-S3000 is my last amplifier I am going to buy it’s for ever it’s a end game amplifier for me that’s it now buying amplifiers .

i do not mind improving on my current streamer and maybe my speakers at some point but there is a limit on what you can afford you know and hifi can be very expensive if you get carried away with it  .

I must admit feeling a little guilty after posting the above suggestion. Shouldnt have suggested another costly upgrade , just when you bought a great amp of your dreams.

Glad and happy you are firm on your decision to stick with the Yamaha. Please go ahead with your pursuit for a streamer ...

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
CnoEvil said:

But I have always been waiting to sing the virtues of going devialet ...glad I got it off my chest :)
if you want serious build quality workmanship in amplifier then look at amplifiers like luxman , Yamaha A-S3000 of course *biggrin* and the other one begins with Appurse something like that all 3 amplifiers you know what your getting for your money

And Class A which I might end up buying a sugden 21se as a second amplifier at some point because when you hear class A it’s like heaven and a heater

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
newlash09 said:

i do not mind improving on my current streamer and maybe my speakers at some point but there is a limit on what you can afford you know and hifi can be very expensive if you get carried away with it .

I must admit feeling a little guilty after posting the above suggestion. Shouldnt have suggested another costly upgrade , just when you bought a great amp of your dreams.

Glad and happy you are firm on your decision to stick with the Yamaha. Please go ahead with your pursuit for a streamer ...
your ok Newlash there’s nothing to feel guilty about mate *smile*

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
newlash09 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
newlash09 said:

i do not mind improving on my current streamer and maybe my speakers at some point but there is a limit on what you can afford you know and hifi can be very expensive if you get carried away with it  .

your ok Newlash there’s nothing to feel guilty about mate  *smile*

:)

insider9

If you go to Criterion ask about Akurate DS/0 there's one they took in part ex and it's £1399 on Ebay. If you listen to it and it suits I'm sure they'd sell for £1,200-£1,300. That's looking at what's sold on ebay.

I don't know much about Linn lineup but quick research shows this should be a seriously good sounding unit.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
insider9 said:
I don't know much about Linn lineup but quick research shows this should be a seriously good sounding unit.

Paired with the right amps and speakers they are - excellent. However, be aware that there's now an 'upgraded' DAC called Katalyst which Linn are plugging like mad and the cost to upgrade at Akurate level is around £1800. You don't have to upgrade of course but many Linn devotees are claiming quantum leaps in performance. I haven't heard one and haven't upgraded mine so can't comment.

I'd agree that the Akurate level stuff 'as is' is excellent.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
newlash09 said:
CnoEvil said:

if you want serious build quality workmanship in amplifier then look at amplifiers like luxman , Yamaha A-S3000 of course *biggrin* and the other one begins with Appurse... something like that... all 3 amplifiers you know what your getting for your money

And Class A which I might end up buying a sugden 21se as a second amplifier at some point because when you hear class A it’s like heaven and a heater

Think you meant Accuphase? and agree on Class A I hope one day I'll be able to afford an Accuphse E600, but doubt it somehow.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Macspur said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
newlash09 said:
CnoEvil said:

if you want serious build quality workmanship in amplifier then look at amplifiers like luxman , Yamaha A-S3000 of course *biggrin* and the other one begins with Appurse... something like that... all 3 amplifiers you know what your getting for your money

Think you meant Accuphase? and agree on Class A I hope one day I'll be able to afford an Accuphse E600, but doubt it somehow.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
yes I did I couldn’t remember the name

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Paulq said:
insider9 said:

Paired with the right amps and speakers they are - excellent. However, be aware that there's now an 'upgraded' DAC called Katalyst which Linn are plugging like mad and the cost to upgrade at Akurate level is around £1800. You don't have to upgrade of course but many Linn devotees are claiming quantum leaps in performance. I haven't heard one and haven't upgraded mine so can't comment.

I'd agree that the Akurate level stuff 'as is' is excellent.
do you no if I brought a new linn streamer would it have the upgraded Dac ? Or is that something that’s optional upgrade if you choose to upgrade

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
do you no if I brought a new linn streamer would it have the upgraded Dac ? Or is that something that’s optional upgrade if you choose to upgrade

Highly unlikely at the prices quoted. The new Akurate DSM (not DS) with Katalyst retails at £7500.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Paulq said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Highly unlikely at the prices quoted. The new Akurate DSM (not DS) with Katalyst retails at £7500.
To be honest I am a little put of by there prices as they haven’t got much that’s under £2000 it’s a very high end hifi shop and they sell amplifiers like the bolder amplifier £100.000 and all of the ATC speaker range it makes my setup look like budget hifi .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I think you are getting ahead of yourself. The ADS/0 is IMO an exceptional sounding piece of kit and better than the MDS.

Give them a listen, see what you think, as your questions to the dealer about different options and then come back here if you need further clarification.

You have a fantastic opportunity to listen to some great kit...and see what all the fuss is about (or not). You may then decide that what you have is all you need...but it's great to scratch an itch.
Yes I no I will feel like a poor man walking in to a rich mans shop but it will be a experience but if I like the linn streamer I will probably wait and buy one on eBay secondhand and save some money

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think you are getting ahead of yourself. The ADS/0 is IMO an exceptional sounding piece of kit and better than the MDS.

Give them a listen, see what you think, ask your questions to the dealer about different options and then come back here if you need further clarification.

You have a fantastic opportunity to listen to some great kit...and see what all the fuss is about (or not). You may then decide that what you have is all you need...but it's great to scratch an itch.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Second hand is a very sensible way to go, as there is little to go wrong with them. If the dealer has a used one (as seems to be the case), it may be a little more, but they might give a little warranty on it and be there for backup, if you need help with it's installation.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
To be honest I am a little put of by there prices as they haven’t got much that’s under £2000 it’s a very high end hifi shop and they sell amplifiers like the bolder amplifier £100.000 and all of the ATC speaker range it makes my setup look like budget hifi .

Linn position themselves at the high end of the market (though there are even more expensive options with some niche manufacturers) and their prices reflect that - take a look at the Klimax range and that will make your eyes water. They hold a reasonable part of their value in the second-hand market because many regard them highly.

Most people tend to buy Linn gear and stick with it long term, with many electing to incrementally upgrade it with upgrades like Exakt and Katalyst. It's high quality (IMO) but whether you consider it to represent value for money is very much a personal decision.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I think this place is making you go round in circles.

Take a step back and decide what functionality you need and don't be overly concerned about the so called hifi technology as this is just a pc basically.
If you carry on down this road you will have no money for speakers in a few months time.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Don't be put off by the highend stuff....and don't come across as intimidated or apologetic. Walk in like you are in your element. If they make you feel inferior or second class, turn on your heel and walk out.

Choose your equipment carefully. Hopefully they have a decent music catalogue, or access to something like Tidal.....so have an idea of what you want to hear.

Just enjoy the experience.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:

Take a step back and decide what functionality you need and don't be overly concerned about the so called hifi technology as this is just a pc basically. If you carry on down this road you will have no money for speakers in a few months time.

Spot on.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:

Take a step back and decide what functionality you need and don't be overly concerned about the so called hifi technology as this is just a pc basically. If you carry on down this road you will have no money for speakers in a few months time.
No one said I was buying anything Andrew I am just looking at what the fuss is about that’s all and if I do buy a linn streamer it will be secondhand to save money on the normal Price

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Don't be put off by the highend stuff....and don't come across as intimidated or apologetic. Walk in like you are in your element. If they make you feel inferior or second class, turn on your heel and walk out.

Choose your equipment carefully. Hopefully they have a decent music catalogue, or access to something like Tidal.....so have an idea of what you want to hear.

Just enjoy the experience.
Yes that’s correct it will be a experience for me because I get to hear the Kef reference 3s which I have wanted to hear for quite sometime and to see what £7500 buys you in sound quality .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts