Sony v Panasonic

nick_p

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys
emotion-1.gif

I wonder if you can help me out. I’ve been looking at the Panasonic Viera TX-P42G20B Plasma HD 1080p TV, 42" with Built-in freesat & Freeview HD for £1100 with a free 5 year warranty and the Sony KDL-40NX703 priced at £1300 with a free 5 year warranty. The sony is wifi and the panasonic by using an optional dongle for wireless access is an extra £80. These two TV’s are very close to call i feel is there anything that you are aware off that i need to take in to account before my purchase

Thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

nick_p:Hi guys
emotion-1.gif

I wonder if you can help me out. I've been looking at the Panasonic Viera TX-P42G20B Plasma HD 1080p TV, 42" with Built-in freesat & Freeview HD for £1100 with a free 5 year warranty and the Sony KDL-40NX703 priced at £1300 with a free 5 year warranty. The sony is wifi and the panasonic by using an optional dongle for wireless access is an extra £80. These two TV's are very close to call i feel is there anything that you are aware off that i need to take in to account before my purchase

Thanks in advance

Hi nick
in mathers of astetics definatly you must have no doubts , as for the fight lcd vs plasma i still have my personnal opinion and not yet been convince otherwise .. plasma is still better , if not ask for the response time ( and its really important , and really can make a diference) but technology is always changing and almoust everything is possible ... my opinion is based on what my eyes can see and there are big diferences .. as for panasonic new models - serie G im kinda disapointed, maybe high expectations... but havent seen the lastest WHF review in this issue and theres a lot of buzz concerning the black levels that in my opinion have not yet been explained in a clear way ....... so its complicated to chose.. i am in that situation also , and dont know yet what to buy , wich brand , model ... cause things are not clear ...

nick_p

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Well guys
emotion-1.gif

A local Sony dealer loaned me a Sony KDL-40NX703 and was not that impressed sad to say. The TV itself looks very smart with the Sony logo back lit along with the remote control with a blue lit back light looking all very glamorous but for £1300 i wouldn't have expected anything less. Also on the plus side the wifi worked well and no problems on that score. On the downside the picture on standard free view was just average so that was disappointing the sound also nothing to write home about if i was the chairman of Sony I'd probably sack a few staff because poor sound across most brands has been going on for long enough and it's about time a little thought went into the design.

The big letdown however was the free view High definition on the crystal place transmitter didn't kick in despite a good signal on a top of the range antiference aerial having been installed recently. The Sony technical help staff i felt were not that technical at all so if anyone is going to purchase this model i would think again. Those in the Sony store however with freesat look good but then all TV's look good in a store running high definition so buying a good tv is even today a bit of a mine field. I hopefully will be trying out the Panasonic Viera TX-P42G20B Plasma HD 1080p and will let you know if the free view high definition works with that. If you're wondering why haven't i got freesat well that because of some large trees at the rear of my property blocking out the satellite signal

nick

microsoft mvp consumer security

A

Anonymous

sounds like a reception issue , the panny will probably get the same poor reception ..

nick_p

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
maxflinn:sounds like a reception issue , the panny will probably get the same poor reception ..

indeed it could well be but with very little help from the sony tech team over a 4 hour period i'm unlikley to get any further forward and as you say the panasonic may very well not work also
emotion-6.gif

A

Anonymous

have you considered one of these ? im not sure if it would help , but it might be worth looking into ..

nick_p

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I have now managed to have a look at the Panasonic Viera TX-P42G20B Plasma HD 1080p TV, 42" With Built-in free sat & free view HD for £1100 with a free 5 year warranty and it is indeed a much better TV overall despite no free view HD. I am now told that the range from crystal palace in HD only covers around 15 miles radius so i fall just outside that zone so that clears that concern of mine up.

The set seams best suited to my needs so I have decided to go with this set as the overall integrity is good with a metal backing and looks professionally made. The new Sony range according to my Sony dealer finds Sony is losing its way with the panels now being made by sharp and not sunsumg although personally it shouldn't matter but he felt that and the way the Sony displays' it's images were a step back and not a step forward Hopefully a review from the what hi fi team in due course will prove different but at this time I'm out as they say Thanks anyhow guys for your input which has been most useful and much appreciated

Nick

Microsoft mvp consumer security

TRENDING THREADS