Sony unveils BDP-A6000 Blu-ray Disc Player

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
And all three are presumably, like, you know, luminous.

Sure, it's like three really bright, er, things and that.

This thread has forced me to recalibrate my thinking about "scientific" marketing claims. I can no longer accept things at face value. Maybe the Pro-vitamin B5 in my shampoo isn't helping at all?

The good thing is they are *pro* vitamins rather than against them but B5's pretty lame, I'd rather have one of those A1s or 2s.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
The good thing is they are *pro* vitamins rather than against them but B5's pretty lame, I'd rather have one of those A1s or 2s.

I'd never buy an anti-vitamin shampoo. And if I had to support one of the B vitamins, it'd definitely be B5. Contemplating other categories of vitamin in hair care products is frankly overwhelming. Call me closed-minded, but I'll stick with what I know, thankyou very much.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
To be fair, much scientific terminology sounds rather frightening. Perhaps advertising euphemisms are no bad thing.

One seemingly needs an advanced scientific degree to determine which terms (and products) have merit. Since most people don't, corporations can throw around pseudo-scientific terminology and, I suspect, fool many a consumer. Which perhaps returns us, through some form of circular logic, to the empty idea of "triluminous ready" Blu-ray players.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
And I'm still not convinced that "pro-vitamin B5" actually contains any vitamin B5. The phrase doesn't necessitate its inclusion. (In the sense that one can be "pro-Obama" without actually being Obama.)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
It's the alcohol analog of vitamin B5.

Well, I have a clearer idea of what I'm putting on my hair and scalp. What effect it has (beneficial or otherwise) is another question altogether.

I'm still not sure we've nailed down definitively how triluminous technology works, whether it demands additional processing at any point in the video reproduction chain, or is indeed an empty marketing term with regard to BDPs at the very least.

I think we got it right, but I'm not certain. At the moment, we're only going on one French article as a point of reference, which I suspect is largely a copy and paste job from a Sony press release.

Paul.

Triluminous is a panel and filter tech. On normal LED tvs, blue tinged LEDs with a phosphor coat are used to create white light. That light is passed through RGB filters to create colour. On triluminous, blue LEDs are passed though quantum dots (insert magic here) and better Reds and Greens occur, allowing the display of a wider colour gamut.

This is all very cool, and basically tech taken from their 4K efforts. HD tvs use a profile called Rec 709, this is being replaced by Rec 2020 for UHD. This 2020 standard requires a significantly wider colour gamut, so needs the quantum dot magic to achieve this. Triluminous displays create a gamut '1.5x greater' than 709, whatever that means (is it uniformly greater or colour biased?)

I believe most high end TVs are already producing gamuts wider than Rec 709. The only sources available for your triluminous kit to get better than Rec 709 are Mastered for 4K blurays, and photos taken in AdobeRGB profile, so really, until mastering for 4K becomes mainstream, you are out of luck for the content.

I can find no reference to Triluminous as a standard, bearing in mind the xvYCC standard was initiated by Sony and is the format chosen for "Mastered for 4K" disks, I think its a safe bet that Triluminous blurays are just xvYCC compatible players.

Some reviews also advise Triluminos capable blu ray player:

http://www.s21.com/sony-bdp-s1100.htm

"The player supports the 16 bit deep colour standard and also Sony's new Triluminos LED backlighting system, so you should choose a Sony Triluminos Blu-Ray player if you plan to buy one of Sony's new Triluminos TVs in the future."

:?

Found this from a German site:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.player.de/2013/05/28/hintergrund-sony-triluminos-blu-ray-discs-mastered-in-4k-und-quantum-dot-leds/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dtriluminos%2Bblu%2Bray%2Bplayer%26start%3D10%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dsafari%26sa%3DN%26hl%3Den-gb%26biw%3D768%26bih%3D928

Another site recommending the Sony over others:

http://www.prlog.org/12173451-sony-bdp-s5100-3d-blu-ray-player-now-available.html

"As for the question of whether to choose this Sony player or perhaps theSamsung BD-F6500 (http://www.s21.com/samsung-bd-f6500.htm) or Panasonic DMP-BDT230 (http://www.s21.com/panasonic-dmp-bdt230.htm), these are all 5 star products, and they cost about the same. If you have a Sony Triluminos TV, or might buy one in the future then you should definitely choose Sony. Otherwise, choose Sony for design appeal and all-round performance, Samsung for greater Smart TV functionality and Panasonic for top picture and audio quality."

Paul. said:
I can find no reference to Triluminous as a standard, bearing in mind the xvYCC standard was initiated by Sony and is the format chosen for "Mastered for 4K" disks, I think its a safe bet that Triluminous blurays are just xvYCC compatible players.

That is correct. Triluminos isn't a standard.

Paul.

bigboss said:
Some reviews also advise Triluminos capable blu ray player:

http://www.s21.com/sony-bdp-s1100.htm "The player supports the 16 bit deep colour standard and also Sony's new Triluminos LED backlighting system, so you should choose a Sony Triluminos Blu-Ray player if you plan to buy one of Sony's new Triluminos TVs in the future." :?

Bearing in mind Rec 2020 is 10 or 12 bit, I'm even more convinced this is marketing fluff on Sony's part.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Sony’s UK Website Clicky has the BDP-A6000 with the specifications, unfortunately there are no reviews & does not mention Triluminos in the bumph.

I have done a comparison on RS website between the BDP-A6000 & the BDP-S790. My end result would be to buy the BDP-S790, unless the BDP-A6000 is a big improvement over it picture & sound quality wise. A definite audition between the two before purchase on the same TV would be a must.

Can the peeps at whathifi towers do an online review of this product please?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm still not convinced of the new Sony's value unless, as BB says, it's heavily discounted.

For a not dissimilar price, you can buy a Denon, Marantz, CA, or Oppo BDP that would improve on the Sony in terms of build quality and connectivity. 4k upscaling doesn't make the Sony future proof, since it's not delivering native 4k and any 4k TV will upscale lower resolution sources anyway.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
I think Sony's competition will be Panasonic BDT500 or its successor (although the Panasonic has analogue outs in addition). So it will come down to a similar price.

Exactly my reasoning for the post.

I still have the Panny 500 - at Panny's fixing (supposedly but their has been a glitch) HQ and possibly may be in the market for a replacement BR player.

And still no noise from WHF ? Do they actually read any of these forum posts ? I am beginning to wonder.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
professorhat said:
psurquhart said:
And still no noise from WHF ? Do they actually read any of these forum posts ? I am beginning to wonder.

Probably not all of them - I think they spend most of their time making a magazine.

There's an element of "dance monkey dance" to the request and displeasure at the lack of immediate response.

I'm sure WHF will get round to reviewing the new Sony; though the BDP has only just hit the shops and it's a monthly magazine. You could audition the Sony against the Panasonic and other contenders and see what you think. Reviews should be used to compile a shortlist of potential purchases. After that, you're on your own.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
professorhat said:
psurquhart said:

Probably not all of them - I think they spend most of their time making a magazine.

There's an element of "dance monkey dance" to the request and displeasure at the lack of immediate response.

I'm sure WHF will get round to reviewing the new Sony; though the BDP has only just hit the shops and it's a monthly magazine. You could audition the Sony against the Panasonic and other contenders and see what you think. Reviews should be used to compile a shortlist of potential purchases. After that, you're on your own.

I still can't comprehend why nobody (with the exception of a foreign website review courtesy of BigBoss) from Sony or anyone in the UK in any Hi Fi / Home Cinema business has said anything about this product ?

We have just witnessed a major exhibition launch platform in the terms of IFA and yet as a consumer I am still clueless about this player ? Forget "dance monkey dance" and yes I do use reviews on buying products as a basis rather than treating them as the holy grail.

I am simply in the market to either potentially upgrade my bdp or buy one of last years models at a discount very shortly. All I want to know without demoing side by side if this player (despite it's plastic looks) would be worthy of a replacement of my yet to be fixed Panasonic 500 player.

It is on a shelf in Richer Sounds in Maidstone staring at me. Bearing in mind Blu Ray players picture quality is nigh on identical, I just want to know if it is any good ? A second opinion is always helpful whatever I think.

Still find the whole lanch of this player very strange, so much so that it is putting me off purchasing the thing.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
I would recommend you look at Denon 1713UD with far better build quality.

Like the look of the Denons - built like tanks.

But I need twin hdmi's as my av amp does not do 3d (although admitedly I am not too sure if I can be bothered anymore with the 3d platform so maybe you have a point).

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
psurquhart said:
strapped for cash said:
professorhat said:
psurquhart said:

I still can't comprehend why nobody (with the exception of a foreign website review courtesy of BigBoss) from Sony or anyone in the UK in any Hi Fi / Home Cinema business has said anything about this product ?

We have just witnessed a major exhibition launch platform in the terms of IFA and yet as a consumer I am still clueless about this player ? Forget "dance monkey dance" and yes I do use reviews on buying products as a basis rather than treating them as the holy grail.

I am simply in the market to either potentially upgrade my bdp or buy one of last years models at a discount very shortly. All I want to know without demoing side by side if this player (despite it's plastic looks) would be worthy of a replacement of my yet to be fixed Panasonic 500 player.

It is on a shelf in Richer Sounds in Maidstone staring at me. Bearing in mind Blu Ray players picture quality is nigh on identical, I just want to know if it is any good ? A second opinion is always helpful whatever I think.

Still find the whole lanch of this player very strange, so much so that it is putting me off purchasing the thing.

Im looking into this and suspect it may be a Ritcher Sounds exclusive product hence why no one else is selling it. I do all of the Sony products from the BDP-S790 up to and including the 4K TV's and the £20k projector and it is currently not availabe for me to order or sell. If I find out I will post back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts