New Blu-ray Disc Player to replace my Sony BDP-S5000ES

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I have owned my Sony BDP-S5000ES Blu-ray Disc Player for about 2 years now, and have been extremely happy with it.

However, I am wondering if the new Blu-ray Disc Players (up to its price level) now have overtaken it in performance.

If so, which ones?

I am confident that the Marantz UD8004 and UD9004 are better performers in video and audio, but they cost a lot more than I would like to spend.

Any others I should be considering for no more than the 1,000GBP price mark?

Dan.

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
The new Denon DBP-2012UD, universal player looks a good bet...will be picking one up myself when I get my new 3D TV this year. It is being reviewed in next months magazine. available for £650 if you shop around

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I would save your money Dan - I have no intention of changing mine anytime soon. I don't want a 3D player that can stream from LoveFilm, play back YouTube, stream various pointless files that I don't own, browse the Internet, or make ne a cup of tea. I want high quality Bluray playback, and high quality DVD playback. I'm sorted.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I would save your money Dan - I have no intention of changing mine anytime soon. I don't want a 3D player that can stream from LoveFilm, play back YouTube, stream various pointless files that I don't own, browse the Internet, or make ne a cup of tea. I want high quality Bluray playback, and high quality DVD playback. I'm sorted.

A very sensible reply. I doubt there is much to be gained buying a new player when you already have such a good one unless you want to watch children's films in 3D. I would wait until the sony is broken, or there is a major technology change. People seem so willing to through away perfectly serviceable equipment for minor improvements.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I guess I shall keep my Sony BDP-S5000ES; it will probably last me a very long time.

I am not interested in 3D whatsoever, so I might as well keep it.

I used to have a surround sound set-up but reverted to a 2-channel set-up, and so I was wondering if there is a current Blu-ray Disc Player up to about the 1,000GBP price-mark which offers better sound quality (primarily) through the RCA analogue L and R outputs.

Dan.

A

Anonymous

Haha, no thanks, mate.

I am Australian and live in Australia, and it's difficult sometimes to mentally convert currencies, but no, 100GBP would be way too little. :D

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
dantan said:
Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess I shall keep my Sony BDP-S5000ES; it will probably last me a very long time. I am not interested in 3D whatsoever, so I might as well keep it. I used to have a surround sound set-up but reverted to a 2-channel set-up, and so I was wondering if there is a current Blu-ray Disc Player up to about the 1,000GBP price-mark which offers better sound quality (primarily) through the RCA analogue L and R outputs. Dan.

FrankHarvey HiFi beat me to it !

I was going to ask how much you wanted for it too ? But since your in Australia I guess that becomes an issue even if you were selling it.

I thought it was quite a good analogue cd spinner ? Let me know your thoughts please.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
dantan said:
I used to have a surround sound set-up but reverted to a 2-channel set-up, and so I was wondering if there is a current Blu-ray Disc Player up to about the 1,000GBP price-mark which offers better sound quality (primarily) through the RCA analogue L and R outputs. Dan.

Definitely the oppo 95

Its been measured as some frequencies to have absolutely zero distortion (or so small the measuring equipment couldnt detect it)

Its been built as on oppo 93 but with all the extras added for sound quality

Ive no doubt in my mind it will blow your sony away for sound quality. In fact, it probably blows most cd players away (Your sony also has filters built in which as I understand it, you cant switch off. Meaning nothing ever looks as it should)

A

Anonymous

Hi psuquhart,
I own a Marantz SA-KI Pearl SACD/CD Player for CD playback.

I use the Sony BDP-S5000ES Blu-ray Disc Player only for Blu-ray Disc and DVD playback. I have used it a couple of times just for CD playback, and it's very good for a Blu-ray Disc Player but no match (expectedly) for my Marantz SA-KI Pearl. I used to own a Cyrus CD 8 SE CD Player and PSX-R power supply and traded them in for the SA-KI Pearl after comparing them.

Dan.

A

Anonymous

Thanks alienrik. I shall check out the Oppo '95.

I am only after a unit for Blu-ray Disc and DVD playback. I am extremely happy with my Marantz SA-KI Pearl SACD/CD Player for CD playback.

Dan.

If it's only blu-ray & DVD playback you're after, hold on to your existing player. No point in spending on a new one. Put it aside in your savings, & then upgrade your system to something stunning... J)

nautilus_1.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts