Sony TV Fault - Consumer Rights Question.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I bought a Sony KDL40W5810 from my local Sony Centre on the 18th December 09. This Friday it has developed a serious screen fault, it's totally unusable.

I called the Sony Centre who were pretty helpful, they are arranging for their repair agent to get in touch with me. The problem with this is that I am now without a TV until the agent gets mine back to me - I have no idea how long this will take...

As the TV is just over 3 months old am I entitled to a replacement rather than a repair? I really don't want to be without it for any time at all!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

:)

The least thing they should do, is loan out a similar TV to you until your TV gets repaired. As far as I'm aware, you're perfectly within your rights to ask for one, or get the TV replaced. But for replacement, you should contact your dealer, not the manufacturer. Where did you buy the TV from?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I bought it from my local Sony Centre, and they are the only people i have dealt with so far regarding the fault.

So you think I may get some joy asking them for a replacement then... Good :)

Cheers!

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
The law's a bit odd on things like this, anything that fails to work properly within six months of purchase is considered to have been faulty at time of purchase and thus is a breach of contract, so you could even ask for your money back.
However, the supplier is entitled to offer you repair or replacement instead, you don't have to accept it though.
It's under the Sale of Goods Act (1979) as amended, I think, I posted it in the forums last year and will have to check for the exact wording.

A

Anonymous

A quick update:

I have spoken to the Sony Centre and the repairer agent.

The repairers can't pick my set up till Wednesday and are quoting a 4 working day turnaround IF they have the parts in, then we'll need to get a delivery slot booked (they're 50 miles away). So on the face of it, I could be without my TV unitl after Easter, which will be well over two weeks since the fault occurred. Potentially a good deal longer if they don't have the parts.

The Sony Centre have offered me a loan set, which is helpful of them, however it will be a smaller set: i.e. not the same standard as the one I paid for. I think I'm entitled to a replacement, but the manager is sticking to his guns - he's adamant I'm not.

We're getting on pretty well at the moment, but this is pretty frustrating and also inconvenient to me - I paid a lot of cash for something I can not use and am now at the mercy of a 3rd party.

Are there any other avenues I can explore?

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

hey stockonator

out of interest what is the screen fault with your tv just wanna know as i have the exact same tv as you

cheers mate

A

Anonymous

Hi Snakey.

Words fail, see illustration
emotion-6.gif

24107_10150171670790393_841090392_1.jpg

I've picked up a 26" loaner from the Sony Centre. Better than nowt, I hope the repair company have their skates on.

A

Anonymous

Hey Stocktonator

any news on whats happening with your tv mate?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts