Sony STR-DA3400ES

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've been planned to get a home cinema setup for some time and I've been reading the news, reviews and forums of What HiFi for many months to help inform this decision. I've bought a Panasonic TH-46PZ81 TV (good picture, but cheap remote and poor user interface, wish I'd bought the Sony KDL-46W4500!), but I've been waiting for the much heralded release of the latest Sony receivers before completing my setup. Finally, Sony seem to have released details of the UK specification and the STR-DA2400ES has received a good review on this site. Unfortunately I've not been able to find a review of the slightly more expensive STR-DA3400ES. A comparison of the technical specifications of the two on the Sony website highlights very little difference to justify the extra couple of hundred pounds other than a more advanced GUI and a learning remote. Has anyone been able to watch/listen to both and pass judgement on the extra money? Are there any plans to review the STR-DA3400ES on this site soon?

Also, none of the hifi shops seem to sell the Sony equipment and they suggest that I get an Onkyo or Denon (the Yamaha also seems to be a favourite on these pages). Can anyone comment on whether this is because Sony don't give them a good deal or that the Sony equipment is no good.

I'm planning to use a B&W MT-30 5.1 speaker arrangement.

Any help gratefully received.

b33k34

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
As you say, there seems to be negligible differences between the two in terms of specs and the power output is the same. I looked as the 3400 and couldn't see anything that i would actually use.

My recommendation would be the 2400 and spend some of the saving on a Logitech Harmony. They take a while to set up properly but once they are it makes using your kit much easier (and means other people can work out how to use it as well) - not least because you can 'hide' all the functions and inputs that you don't want to use.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the idea.

But surely the extra £200 must have some impact on the sound? I'm planning to spend a lot of money on the speakers and I just want to ensure that the receiver is up to the job. If the Sony isn't going to do the job, what else should I consider around the £500 to £700 price point? Also, is that a sensible amount to spend for the type of speakers planned (B&W MT-30)?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Don't forget, tech specs aren't the be all and end all of sound. I suspect the 3400 has some upgraded components in there which, although are producing the exact same power etc., will actually sound better.
Of course the only way to know is to listen to both!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:Don't forget, tech specs aren't the be all and end all of sound. I suspect the 3400 has some upgraded components in there which, although are producing the exact same power etc., will actually sound better.
Of course the only way to know is to listen to both!

There are a few more spec differences if you look closely but I agree with the Prof. I've not listened to the 2400es but I would be amazed if it was as good as the 3400es which is brilliant. I had the very good 1200es before and my new one is so much better!

A

Anonymous

Gerrard

I'm considering the Sony 3400 to upgrade from the 1200 .

The reason for this is I believe it to have zone 2 capability which I require to feed Sky HD to another TV. I already have 2 HD boxes and don't wish to pay an even bigger premium to Sky than I do already.

It also has HD sound modes that the 1200 doesn't have.

Have you any views on the subject and are you aware of any deals on the 3400!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
johnnymunro:
Gerrard

I'm considering the Sony 3400 to upgrade from the 1200 .

The reason for this is I believe it to have zone 2 capability which I require to feed Sky HD to another TV. I already have 2 HD boxes and don't wish to pay an even bigger premium to Sky than I do already.

It also has HD sound modes that the 1200 doesn't have.

Have you any views on the subject and are you aware of any deals on the 3400!

I've seen it at Stone Audio for £575 (I think). I don't know much about the zone 2 stuff - as I don't need to use it. It's a great amp though - a real leap up from the 1200 - and it's smaller.

A

Anonymous

Cheers Gerrardasnails,

hoping to get it cheaper as a package I had found it at£595 at Robert Whyte on line prior to the 15% debacle.

JGoodricke have you found a good price for the B & W MT-30 package by the way?

A

Anonymous

Unfortunately not so far (although I've not really got into price discussions for the MT-30 package yet). I have heard people on these pages talk of fairly sizable discounts, but I guess it maybe depends on how much equipment you are buying. I've yet to find anyone selling the Sony receiver and the B&W speakers (maybe that should tell me something)! Please let me know if you find a good deal.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
The problem you're going to have is that B&W have a policy with their dealers that forbids internet sales.

I went up to Tottenham Court Rd about this time last year, and got my MT-30 (7.1) for £1460 inc. delivery. Basic 5.1 was £1275 inc. delivery, but I may have been able to haggle the guy down further. (Plus, it was the only dealer I'd found who actually had the white MT-30 in stock, I'd been to numerous 'Sevenoaks' around me, and a few other stores such as 'Musical Images' in Beckenham, but all had silver and black, but no white)

He also tried to sell me the Yamaha RXV-3800 for £1100, down from the RRp £1400, but I stuck with my 875 for £1000 in the end.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that BC!

I take it that you are happy with your MT-30 package?

Truth is I would prefer the B & W Theatre package but with a massive Mission package already secreted in another room I think a divorce would be on the cards if i were to buy another 'big sound system!'.

Do you know if the MT-30 is much better than the Kef 3005SE package or does it depend on the Amp as well as room size etc? Mines approx 30sq m.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts