Sony or Samsung LCD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have decided on a 46inch tv and was all set to buy the Sony 46x2000. Then I read a rather good review of the Samsung LE46F86. Majority of content would be non hd (normal tv) but obviously will hook up with PS3, Sky HD and HD video. I am in a pickle so please provide your pearls of wisdom.

Also, can anyone recommend a top notch DVD player sub £100? Like one with 1080p upscaling. Muchos gracias

A

Anonymous

I would go for a W3000 series over the X2000 if you can afford it.

Why do you need a DVD player if you've got a PS3 ?

A

Anonymous

I've been looking at the samsung as well and have decided on that but there is a review in the mag that comes out thursday testing loads of 46" tv's. I've already ordered the samsung but as its not in stock I will still have chance to change it on thursday lol, doubt I'll need to though after what I've read so far
emotion-1.gif

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I have the F86 and the picture is great. Set the Sky HD to upscale all signals and it does very well. Agree with using the PS3 as your DVD player. It upscales very well.

Good choice.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="ShabbaRanks"]

Also, can anyone recommend a top notch DVD player sub £100? Like one with 1080p upscaling. Muchos gracias

[/quote]

Agree with the others, the PS3 makes a perfectly decent DVD player,
but if you did want another one for under £100, our current Best Buy is
the Samsung DVD-HD870 (£70), although it only upscales to 1080i, not 1080p. But in our view that's not a major deficiency: the Samsung offers the best performance-per-pound picture we've seen for sub-£100.

A

Anonymous

Hi..I take it that these are LCD screens, if so, it's my information that Sony LCD screens are manufactured by Samsung and as they are the biggest makers of LCD screens in the world, applies to many other TV/Monitors as well.

Sunbuff.

matthewpiano

[quote user="Sunbuff"]
Hi..I take it that these are LCD screens, if so, it's my information that Sony LCD screens are manufactured by Samsung and as they are the biggest makers of LCD screens in the world, applies to many other TV/Monitors as well.

Sunbuff.
[/quote]

Incorrect. The LCD screens in Samsung and Sony LCDs are made by a company called SLCD who also supply other manufacturers. However, the panel is only part of the equation and processing, quality of parts etc. make a huge difference between TVs. Fortunately both manufacturers produce excellent TVs although at the top end of the market Sony has the edge in terms of overall build quality and performance IMO. I'd definitely look at the W3000 over the X2000. It has the same processor (Bravia Engine EX) but offers the new 10-bit panel out of the X3000/3500 range.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andy Clough"]

[/quote]

Agree with the others, the PS3 makes a perfectly decent DVD player,
but if you did want another one for under £100, our current Best Buy is
the Samsung DVD-HD870 (£70), although it only upscales to 1080i, not 1080p. But in our view that's not a major deficiency: the Samsung offers the best performance-per-pound picture we've seen for sub-£100.

[/quote]
So which is better for dvd playback Andy Samsung or ps3?
Because i chose to use my panasonic ex75 dvd recorder instead with my Sony 40w2000.
I think the ps3 is only good for a 32inc anything more it will suffer from motion smearing, picture softness and black levels but colors are o.k.

A

Anonymous

I have decided on a 46inch tv and was all set to buy the Sony 46x2000. Then I read a rather good review of the Samsung LE46F86. Majority of content would be non hd (normal tv) but obviously will hook up with PS3, Sky HD and HD video. I am in a pickle so please provide your pearls of wisdom.

[/quote]
For £100 the Samsung, the one andy mentioned and Denon 1940 £199 but if it was my money id go for a Toshiba EP35 £270 with 7 free Hddvd's from Amazon UK.According to What hi-fi team,the dvd quailty is equal to Denon 1940 £199.
Thats very good value i reckon because your basically getting a Hddvd player for free and 7 Hddvd's for £10 each.
No wonder why they removed the Denon 1940 from their Home cinema essentials.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts