Sony KDL55HX853

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just opted for the above as an update to my aging Toshiba LCD which should be here in a couple of weeks and I can't wait.

The plan is to wall mount the TV alongside my B&W MT1s. I have the wall mounts for the B&Ws and also have a mount for the screen but was wondering if anyone had any hints and tips for mounting? I'm wondering how high from the floor and also where to place the speakers?

Also does anyone have any recommendations for a long HDMI cable that will carry a 3D signal but won't break the bank? I'll need to measure but I'm thinking I needs about 5-7m.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fEmr7f0SVcC/learn/learningcenter/home/flatpanel_install.html?page=3

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ja6X48bInM2/learn/learningcenter/home/speaker_placement.html

http://www.thatcable.com/product/High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-With-Ethernet-%20V1.4

A

Anonymous

Just had a mail to say that my TV will arrive on Thursday
smiley-laughing.gif

Ive ordered all the HDMI cables I need; now if only I can get the wall mount up before it arrives.

Very excited.

A

Anonymous

I opted for a generic mount by optima I think?!?

I'm sure it's up to the job, otherwise I'll use it upstairs when I move the toshiba.

A

Anonymous

TV arrived yesterday (while I was at the Olympic football) as did my HDMI cables.

I haven't taken the TV out of the box yet (not like me) as I've not got the wall mount put up yet or managed to find a small (if you class the onkyo 808 as small) Av unit that will house everything (which im told needs to be oak).

I have someone coming tomorrow to quote for putting in a wall socket, mounting the tv and routing the cables. Any thoughts on how much this is likely to cost me?

Also thoughts on a unit to house everything (onkyo, sky hd, ps3, maybe xbox360) would be appreciated.

qwerty69 said:
I have someone coming tomorrow to quote for putting in a wall socket, mounting the tv and routing the cables. Any thoughts on how much this is likely to cost me?

Cost is variable. I had a person quote me £120 just for wall mounting alone (labour charges) :O

I then got the electrician to do it. He charged a total of £100 for 2 double sockets, wall mounting the TV plus some other job (can't remember).

Also thoughts on a unit to house everything (onkyo, sky hd, ps3, maybe xbox360) would be appreciated.

What's your budget? Something like this?

A

Anonymous

I'd looked at the narrower version but was unsure that I could get the onkyo to fit as its 500x500?!?

Budget wise i havent really got one, but I don't want to spend too much.

A

Anonymous

Just been quoted £175 to mount the TV, and speakers. Including extending the flex on the TV routing it thought the wall cavity along with a couple of HDHI cables.

Part of me says that the price is about right but on the other hand I'm still tempted to save the cash and install it myself?!?

If nothing else I'll get a few more quotes before I decide.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I mounted my 42" plasma 16 months ago above a fireplace. The only help I needed was the final stage of lifting the TV onto the wall bracket. Yours is an LCD, so wil probably light enough for one person.

I don't know about Sony but Panasonic say in the manual that using any bracket other than theirs, invalidates the guarantee. I think this is because some brackets (the part that mount on to the back of the TV) have screws that are too long, damaging the screen when tightened so be careful. If you are confident drilling holes into either masonary or plasterboard - do it yourself!

You should have experience of identifying different types of walls, making sure you're not drilling through wires & using the right type of screws. A bad mount can damage your TV. My electrician used very long screws to go beyond the plasterboard & fix onto the solid brick wall.

Another thing: it may be a good idea to route an extra HDMI cable through the wall, if you intend to buy a media streamer or game console in the future.

A

Anonymous

The more I read the more I'm happy with everything that needs done but I'm only ever home at the weekend which is why I'd like to get someone to do it for me.

I've been quoted £100 to put up the TV and mount my speakers (including running / hiding all of the cables) which I'm happy with. I'll need to check I have sufficient speaker cable for the fronts.

If need be can I join two lengths of identical speaker cable (QED Silver Anniversary) or does this just introduce a point of failure? On the other hand could I use silver anniversary xt? Would this match my existing cable?

A

Anonymous

TV and speakers finally up and looking good
smiley-laughing.gif

Currently using the standard settings and am aiming to take a look at optimising the settings tomorrow.

Any thoughts on some recommended settings or the best method of optimising?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts