sony kdl-40w2000 v sony kdl-40d3000

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I will have sky hd soon.

I will have a ps3 in september.

i will be buying a home cinema in a box - (after reading aug 23rd issue)

do i need full hd or 3 hdmi slots?

which of the above tvs is my best bet?

cheers

A

Anonymous

i want to buy the tv this weekend so please please please could I have some advice thanks. I will mainly be watching football matches on sky hd and playing ps3 games

A

Anonymous

Go with your heart on this one. Take a stroll if you can to your local SONY Shop and see these for yourself. They're both lovely TV's. Personally I would go for the KDL-40D3000 not least because I am not prepared to fork out extra money for the priviledge of SKYHD....i.e another £299.99 for the box and £10.00 more on a monthly subscription on principle. The TV (unlike the 40W2000-someone please correct me if I'm wrong) can also take 1080p/24 via 1.3 HDMI's so I reckon Blue Ray and even Upscaled DVD's would look even better especially through something like Pioneer's DV-600AV approx £150.00-Only my opinion of course, but in the end you need to audition for yourself and make that all important subjective decision

A

Anonymous

i was thinking about maybe forking out the money for the 40x but ive never seen any reviews on this TV, the 46x did well, but that doesn't mean the 40x maches it. I have seen this TV but i couldn't get a side by side comparison with the 40w,

But remember a newer versiojn of the 40w (the 3000) will be out soon!

A

Anonymous

thank you for your responses.

I qualify for a sky hd box at £199 because of my length of custom in their august/september promotion.

I will be sitting about 7ft from the screen and in the April 2007 issue of what hi-fi mag the article on FULL HD suggested that 1080p screens of less than 42" do not offer any discernable difference in resolution to the human eye than that of an hd ready tv.

My heart says kdl-40w2000 because of everything I've read, researched etc, and of course technology moves on all the time so if I kept waiting and waiting I would never buy a new tv. The reason I do not want to wait any longer is because the new football season kicks off in 2 weeks and fifa 2008 on ps3 will be released end of september.

if I have a ps3, a sky hd box and a home cinema in a box how many hdmi slots do I require. Will I be able to get by with just the two that the kdl-40w2000 offers?

A

Anonymous

It is september the 40w 3000 comes out, it might just be worth the wait, and answer your connectivity problems.

I personally would hold off till then, as the 40W is getting on a bit now (for an LCD) but if you still want it you can bet that it will be even cheaper than it is now, because for the next 2 months it is still a current model. Saving you money to buy more games, either way you win!!

A

Anonymous

I believe the w2000 only has two hdmi slots and you would probably need 3 so, unless you will be happy with optical audio or are willing to get an hdmi switching box, might be better to get a set with 3 hdmi inputs?

A

Anonymous

thank you for your replies.

when the w3000 comes out it is going to cost around £1600 - £1800. This is £600 - £800 I dont have and we shouldn't assume that just because the w2000 was an award winner its younger brother will be equally as good.

I can see the logic of the d3000 series - better standard def pictures and adept at playing dvds etc but you cant get better than full hd long term (apparently) and as I will be a keen gamer, 1080p fits the bill.

i think I have now got rid of my cold feet and will buy the w2000.

A

Anonymous

btw in what issue of the mag has/will the sony kdl 40d3000 be reviewed/tested?

A

Anonymous

I know what your saying about money,,,, but thats what credit cards are for!!! ;) Buy now, worry later!!

In the September issue (current) on page 12 they have an HDMI switch, 2 into 1 for 60 buck, that would probably be of use!!!

A

Anonymous

my feet have started getting cold again!

do I really need 100mhz, 24p and 10 bit panels or can I just stick with the w2000?

never in my life have I watched a dvd and thought "damn this scene is running 4% faster than the director intended"!

A

Anonymous

At this rate the chances are you will expire, before your next TV does.

Just go out and audition both of them..........then choose which one, buyit, go home and enjoy your new purchase knowing that you have chosen was the correct TV bar what anyone else may say.They're both good TV's so you are already on winner.

A

Anonymous

lol...yes you are probably right.

As I havent looked beyond these two tvs in my research perhaps I am getting myself in a tangle unecessarily.

Could people suggest some other market leading sets to compare , for example I have totally ignored looking at 37" sets but perhaps I could find what Im looking for in this size. I dont know which brand to trust.

thanks

A

Anonymous

It is easy to get all wrapped in trying to maximize value-for-money and hopefully minimizing post purchase disonance!

I have perused the specs of each of Sony's 2007 models. It seems to me that the specs for the 40W3000 are pretty darn good and provide HDMI-3, X.V COLOR, 10 bit color processing.

So it was that I found myself "skimming over" almost ALL the 2007 models at a Sonystyle outlet yesterday. My oberservations are limited to the 40S/D/V/W, 32S/3000 and 32XBR4 as they were all co-located along a "Pot-Lighy" corner of the shop:

1: They all looked great.

2: It was impossible to tell whether all sets were showing off their "out-of-the-box" settings or whether all were receiving an HDMI-3 level signal. Hence, this post post is kind of filled with "no information" ! Sorry!

3: Notwithstanding the above, the best-in-show was the 40W3000.

* it was a tad brighter overall -- without the generally over-saturated sRGB and slightly inky look of the 2006 XBR's

* the image looked like a professionally printed glossy poster.

* skin tones were bang on (zero red blush) but some varied tones

* a dark red background on the right side of the screen-filled images seemed lighter and that brought a subtle, "happier" tone to the scene

* motion artifacts were not evident -- perhaps reflecting on the selected DVD (I did not ask its title)

Itis hard to imagine a better rendition at 40" size. The thick, opaque colors and 1080 roots were world class.It was hard to walk away knowing that one's budget might only cover the cost of an 32S3000!

PS:

I was touched by this morning's BBC Documentary concerning te recent scarifices made by a Company of British Infantry in Afghanistan. Makes "worries" over HDTV's seem frivolous !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts