Sony KDL-32EX703

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i have this led tele 2 weeks but have noticed light grey patches around the edge of the screen when there are bright images on screen, just curious if there are any other owners with the same problem, the tele is super but these patches are bugging me

A

Anonymous

yeah thats what i thought, the grey patches are there all the time but they really stand out with white backgrounds and football matches and the ps3 and xbox360 (thats where flangyman comes from its my gamertag and ps3 id), there is a half moon shape patch just above the sony badge and its always in my eye line, i brought a usb stick to the shop where i got the tele and tried a few images on the display model and its there on the display set thats why i posted to see if any other owners had the same problem ,i think i will go for the sony32ex503 lcd

A

Anonymous

Shame. Unbelievably you can get one for £490 from Amazon at the mo. Yes maybe the sony 32ex503 is a safer bet....Let us know the conclusion!

mattatnotts

Jun 21, 2007
Visit site
I ordered my 703 at the weekend and am expecting it arrive on Wednesday. Cracking deal at £500. Maybe it's just the settings that need some minor adjustment to get rid of the problem......at least I hope so!

A

Anonymous

Was going to go for the ex403 but have taken the plunge for the ex703. £500 from Amazon, couldn't resist...Hope I dont see this backlight problem.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Ditto, ordered mine yesterday before the Amazon 10% off offer expired. £499.45, good price, I just hope it's worth it! I'll be keeping a watchful eye on that backlight too!

A

Anonymous

i had a good outcome the sony engineer agreed there was a problem with my 703, there was a half moon grey patch just above the sony badge which showed up on every source so i dont think it was a backlight problem i think it was the screen so you guys can relax and enjoy your 703's, the shop agreed to swap it for a 503 lcd which means a 170 euros refund and they gave me a 10 megapixel cybershot camera for the hasstle, the 503 isnt far off the 703's picture quality so im a happy camper, best of luck with your sets

kev g

Mar 4, 2008
Visit site
flangyman, now that you have had both the 503 & 703 are there any differences in sound quality, which model would you say is better ?

A

Anonymous

i dont know if its because the case on the 503 is bigger and they have more room for bigger speakers but the sound is much better on the 503 without going through an amp, i have mine through an amp so it didnt matter to me but the 503's sound is better, i cant see much between the picture quality and they seem to be identical sets just one lcd and one led, the 503 is around 200 euros cheaper than the 703 in dublin and i cant see where the extra money goes, im really happy with the 503 and would recommend it

A

Anonymous

24 hrs in and all I can say is WOW! Watching BBC HD is simply incredible. This will sound ridiculous but it actually looks 3d! You even get 5.1 outputted over optical. nice!

On SD it's not brilliant but only because you can tell the difference. You can't blame the TV for that.

For £500 I think I've done very well indeed.

Criticisms? Perhaps a slight lack of unformity in terms of backlighting but it's not very noticeable. Maybe I'll notice more criticisms as I go, but I'm generally a fussy ****** so I'm glad I've found few moans so far...

Would be interested to hear others' views.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Frankieboy:
24 hrs in and all I can say is WOW! Watching BBC HD is simply incredible. This will sound ridiculous but it actually looks 3d! You even get 5.1 outputted over optical. nice!

Music to my ears! Mine is being delivered Wednesday :)

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
24 hours in, and my first impressions (after hours of watching anything/everything on DVD, BD, Freeview and Sky) are mixed, but mostly positive.

- Detail levels and edge definition with Blu-ray are generally outstanding. Whereas I have the sharpness up to around 60% on my 720p Panny plasma, I've settled on next-to-zero sharpness on the Sony. Upping it to any reasonable level only introduces noise, and I'm impressed how inherently clear and sharp the picture is without it.

- Motionflow seems like a waste of time to me. Even on its 'Standard' setting, it ruins the look of film-based material, and looks just as naff as it did on the shop floor. It is now 'off', and thankfully the Sony's standard motion processing seems to do a pretty excellent job, rendering pans with little blur or judder (certainly less than my Panny).

- Having hooked up my PC via VGA, I have to say the image quality is better than I expected. While having a 32" monitor will take some getting used to, my desktop looks punchy and clear (although I have a feeling upgrading my graphics card may sharpen up text just a little more).

- So far, I'm not hugely impressed by the Freeview tuner. While channels such as BBC HD look pretty good, low-bitrate channels are done no favours by the Sony. The same goes for Sky - solid with HD, varying wildly with SD. I suppose this is because I'm used to SD looking pretty good on the Panny, which obviously has less scaling to do than the Sony.

- Viewing angles aren't great - you really need to sit head-on if you don't want blacks to turn grey and colours to flatten out. I accept this is a problem for all LCDs, though, and I'm just very used to plasma.

- The backlight is certainly NOT uniform. While admittedly not a huge issue, there is unmistakeable clouding (very faint though it is) in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen. I do wish it wasn't there, and I will keep an eye on it in the near future, but I will admit it has rarely been an issue so far during general viewing.

So, all in all, a solid start for the 32EX703. Not quite the knockout I had hoped for, but I live in hope that it will continue to impress me more as I spend more time with it!

A

Anonymous

Blimey Liam youre more fussy than me!

Detail/sharpness: I've turned every possible bell and whistle off and the picture looks great. Superb in fact.

Motionflow : hate it. But 100hz is the same on any telly. I turned it off straight away. You cant blame Sony for that.

PC via VGA: I now have a 32" PC monitor! Pretty bloody good actually! 1080p through VGA (1:1 mapping). Tried for ages to get it to display 1080p through HDMI but have had to give up. Tried full pixel but it was awful. Black borders everywhere. May be my graphics card but I doubt it. TV says it's being fed 1080p. Bit gutted about that to be honest. Amazingly I got it to output 5.1 through the optical from the HDMI input....Impressive....

Freeview tuner: bloody good IMHO. BBC HD is stunning. I dont know what youre on about.

Viewing angles - you may have a point I dont know. I sit straight on.

Backlight - agreed but I dont have a patch like you described. That doesnt sound right. For me the far left and far right are a tiny bit darker but only noticeable when you have a pure white screen.

What with iplayer now working I'm still loving it.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Fussy I most definitely am, I'm a stickler for detail in every way.

I may have found a use for Motionflow yet - it seems to enhance gaming (at least with 'Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2'!)

Worth pointing out that the set isn't in its proper place yet - I'm re-furnishing my bedroom and it will eventually be the centerpiece of my new desk. So any testing I've done of the Sony has been in another room (no chance was I leaving it in the box!)

So I'll re-evaluate the set when it's had a few weeks regular use. I know I sound a bit harsh (I admit I'm very picky when it comes to this kind of stuff) but I really am pretty happy with the Sony so far.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts