Sony Bravia KDL-52HX903 Vs. Panasonic Viera TX-P50VT20B

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:PeterHerz:
If you dont care about 3D, the Panasonic Z1 is worth considering, a level better than the VT model. Since the Sony LCD has reflective screen like the plasma, this is not a decision poin ( they both perform poorly in daylight conditions ) , and I would choose the Z1.

Due to the much faster panel speed of the plasma, anything you throw at the Z1 will be reproduced without artifacts caused by panel speed - you will never be sure on the LCD which artifacts you get. Had the Sony had a matte screen, I would select the Sony. So its a fairly close race if Z1 / 903. VT / 903 probably depends if you are lucky to get a VT without problems.

Peter, with all respect, please stop presenting your opinions so forcefully as facts - especially your obsession with reflective screens! (Which baffle us and certainly aren't typical in normal lighting conditions - yes, even during the day).

It's great you've settled with the Z1,but people need to understand it's an older model, without a lot of the functionality now expected from a modern flatscreen.

Just trying to help - the Z1 was instroduced last year and is till on the Panasonic website, even in the Christmas adv they run on TV channels these days, shows a Z1. Severel users on this forum just baught one and are very satified, To say its an older model isnt realy correct - but yes - no 3D, but still having the features like the VT model - with a much nicer design and PQ. Just my opinion. I havnt settled for a Z1, and havnt got one, and Im not going to buy one since my focus is on the 21:9 format. I think the conclusion regarding reflective screen is correct - if they both have reflective screen - this is not a decision point. As said - just my personal opinion - hope it is usefull, or at least the thread starter has yet more info to the puzzel.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, I thought you'd gone for a Z1 after all the discussion.

And it's not just 3D where the older Panasonic falls short of current spec: the Z1 doesn't offer a Freeview HD tuner nor the latest-generation Infinite Black panel of the 2010 Panasonic plasmas, either.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:

And it's not just 3D where the older Panasonic falls short of current spec: the Z1 doesn't offer a Freeview HD tuner nor the latest-generation Infinite Black panel of the 2010 Panasonic plasmas, either.

Clare - the Z1 discussion started in this thread - ending up with the VT was changed for a Z1.

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/496965.aspx

The perfect TV dosnt exist, but personally I want my self all information and alternatives on the table before I spend 2-4K. The Z1 has a place on the table in my opinion. We use for example SAT here - no need for HD freeview tuner - but every have his specific requirements and set up.

( To the comment about old models, very subjective - the VT looks old - the Z1 looks like a 2010/2011/2012/2013 .... model.

A

Anonymous

Hey Jcshutts,

Do you happen to have the ideal settings for same TV we have now
emotion-2.gif

Got a very, very, very good price
emotion-4.gif

Importing my Sony BDP-S770 from America; Blu-Ray & DVD Multi-Region

Including the 3D Bundle for free.

That little bit of patience paid off!!!

A

Anonymous

from looking at them side by side, the Panasonic has a much darker 3D picture than the sony and there is more flicker from table lamps which you dont see with the sony. The HX903 has the full LED backlight with local dimming too

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
@clare I think Peter has things confused a little. I had a V20 in the thread I authored (that he quotes). Despite not having Freeview HD or Infinite Black, I don't feel I am missing out : it fufills the basic requirement that most UK households have - handling 50hz broadcasts!!

It's no good Panasonic taking one step forward and three steps back, when it comes to marketing a television in the UK that has problems with 50hz broadcasts. The problems I faced and other owners with 2010 models, can be quite unsubtle and unliveable with.

I steered my own parents in the right direction, and they recently purchased a Panasonic S10 50"; I would not wish a bad TV on anyone! They are very happy with this choice
emotion-2.gif
; my dad had already seen the travesty of two bad V20s I had, and seen the problems first hand.

There is no substiute for seeing these TVs in person, ultimately your eyes have to be happy with what you are viewing.

A

Anonymous

heads up for the thread link!

Got the 3D Bundle for 'Free' though i've imported BDP-S770, so going to give the BDP-S470 to a sibling. Stand for £520. TV (drum roll!!) £2,221 (with VAT back)

Not bad me thinks!!!

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
darkdealx:
heads up for the thread link!

Got the 3D Bundle for 'Free' though i've imported BDP-S770, so going to give the BDP-S470 to a sibling. Stand for £520. TV (drum roll!!) £2,221 (with VAT back)

Not bad me thinks!!!

umm £500 cheaper than me! well done......how long do you have to wait?

I have been waiting a month for the VAT cheque from Sony. Anyone actually had theirs back yet???

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:

Latest news is, that Panasonic will launce a new flagship, replacing this and last years Z1 flagship - the ZT30 - in spring. From the picture released so far, the new model looks like a Z1 ( if this picture is of the ZT30 and not the Z1 )t. It is also said to have Kuro technology and 3D on board.

A

Anonymous

Interesting ....

Panasonic now utilising 'Pioneer's Kuro Technology' now. Was it meant to be implemented in this year's line-up of models?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts