Sony BDP-S760 or Pioneer BDP-51FD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

scene

gel:
How about the sound of the Sony analogue outputs anyone?

Yes, having really thought about it, this is one of the key factors (for me) in deciding between the Sony and the Pioneer. I'm assuming that the picture from both will look superb, but if without the digital input option for sound on my Arcam, I need the DACs and analogue sound outputs to be superb on the player. So are the Wolfson DACs better than the ones in the Sony?

2cool

Sep 4, 2008
Visit site
I have a 51fd and i will give you some info, its slow to load i dose need an update and is only profile 1.1 BUT you will forgive all of this for its picture and sound quality. the update is quite easy to do and forget bd live you will never use it, i have a ps3 and dont use it.

for £200 just look at the finish of the player its very good looking and it will go well with your kuro (i really want one of those btw)

D

Deleted member 2457

scene:gel:

Yes, having really thought about it, this is one of the key factors (for me) in deciding between the Sony and the Pioneer. I'm assuming that the picture from both will look superb, but if without the digital input option for sound on my Arcam, I need the DACs and analogue sound outputs to be superb on the player. So are the Wolfson DACs better than the ones in the Sony?

I would say the Wolfson DACs are on another planet than the Sony's but that's just me and I have not heard the Sony's.

A

Anonymous

The 51FD is the slowest loading machine - EVER! It is still number 1 in this regard. Compared to my BD55 - I feel my panasonic is better....I had it and dumped it.

daveh75

gel:scene:gel:

I would say the Wolfson DACs are on another planet than the Sony's but that's just me and I have not heard the Sony's.

Are you even using your LX-71's on board decoding/D-A conversion and do you even know what DAC(s) the Sony uses to make the comparison?

As the only info i could find on the Sony is that it uses a high quality192KHz/24 bit Dac!

A

Anonymous

I recently purchased the Pioneer Lx08 on flea bay for £305. I have upgraded to firmware 1.38 and it works fine. I had no need for BD live. I love this player works fine for me.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

gel:scene:gel:

Are you a clown? You admit you have not heard the Sony but still claim the Pioneer's DAC is 'on another planet'........????????
emotion-18.gif

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

A

Anonymous

Gel will go all the way for Pioneer, regardless of the merits of the case.
emotion-5.gif

scene

I'm still interested in an answer though, how do the Pioneer's 4 x 192KHz/24 bit Wolfson DACs compare to the Sony's mysterious 192KHz/24 bit DAC (is that singular) for audio conversion?

(Does the BDP-51FD have the Wolfson DACs - or is it just the LX-08 / LX71?)

D

Deleted member 2457

scene:

I'm still interested in an answer though, how do the Pioneer's 4 x 192KHz/24 bit Wolfson DACs compare to the Sony's mysterious 192KHz/24 bit DAC (is that singular) for audio conversion?

(Does the BDP-51FD have the Wolfson DACs - or is it just the LX-08 / LX71?)

All those pioneer's you mention have the same DACS.

jacobmorrison

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I have the Pioneer 51FD which was multi-regioned for DVD playback from superfi. I've updated the firmware twice now with no problems and it has remained multi-region (new firmware version 1.38 was released last month so Pioneer are continuing to improve the performance of this machine by increments). It's now slightly faster to load than it was when I purchased it. Sound quality from it's dedicated stereo output is superb, and it's flawless outputting DTS MA/DolbyHD through the analogue outputs. Apparently this player has dedicated boards for audio and video whereas the newer pioneer players put both audio and video on the same board. It makes for a bulky player (allow for around 43cm depth with the audio cables in the back) but a superb performer, very musical. I agree that the bdlive content is useless and not worth £100 difference. Also bear in mind that the 51FD has a dedicated Pioneer plasma calibration setting which takes a lot of grief out of the set up process, and you'll be able to use the HDMI control on your TV remote to control the basic player navigation. If it's just simple picture and sound quality that's important to you then get the Pioneer and spend the money saved on good quality cabling.

scene

Thanks for that Jacob - very interesting.

Also, I have been doing some research (in the back issues of another magazine, which shall remain nameless!) and they do (analogue) audio jitter tests - which I assume tests the quality of the DACs. Results:
  • Sony BDP-S760 - 546Ps
  • Pioneer BD-LX71 - 175.2Ps
So, in the absence of any other information, I think I must conclude with Gel. There does seem to be a scientific basis to the sound quality of the Pioneers. (Interesting to note that the Audio Jitter of the Pioneer is about 4 times less than the Sony and it has 4 DACs?)

Hmm...
emotion-42.gif

daveh75

I wouldn't get to caught up in what dac's each machine uses,nor the paper spec's tbh.Try an find a dealer that stocks both makes and go an compare them side by side and see which you prefer.

scene

I agree. Now all I have to do is dig myself out of my house, ski down the road to the station and see if I can persuade Richer Sounds to demo the two machines
emotion-5.gif

Unless anyone else knows of anyone else who has got both?

A

Anonymous

daveh75:gel:scene:gel:

Are you even using your LX-71's on board decoding/D-A conversion and do you even know what DAC(s) the Sony uses to make the comparison?

As the only info i could find on the Sony is that it uses a high quality192KHz/24 bit Dac!

I doubt he does - he's just a Pioneer loyalist!

D

Deleted member 2457

In my defence, i have heard the pioneer 71 both way's and yes it does sound great and I also said I have not heard the Sony.

I also recommended the Sony to buy, and yes it was a wild statement to make but I also said it was, and I was trying to help the opposition from numerous reply's.

scene

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice
emotion-21.gif

In the end I decided to go for the Sony BDP-S760. Went for a Multi-region DVD one from RS, picked it up yesterday afternoon.

Picture is absolutely fantastic! Just been watching Reservoir Dogs BD and the clarity is stunning.

Haven't wired it into my amp yet - slightly short of the pre-requisite number of interconnects at the moment... Even just passing the sound through to the speakers on the plasma it's noticeably clearer and more distinct, really easy to understand what everyone is saying, something I've had problems with before on the DVD of this classic.

Now, to decide on inter-connects - More decisions!
emotion-4.gif

topbloke55

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Get your interconnects from flee bay, firstly they come fully burn't-in plus you can get some good ones for very little. I got 3 sets of chord Anthem 2's for about the same price as one set! There are always lots of interconnects on there, including cheaper ones.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts