Sony BDP-S760 or Pioneer BDP-51FD

scene

OK a quandary. Which blu-ray to go for?

A Sony BDP-S760 at £310
Or a Pioneer BDP-51FD at £200?

The Sony is product of the year, fully 2.0 and with Wi-Fi, but the Pioneer is a superb machine and less than two-thirds the price and I have a KRP-500A, so it will match in nicely...

Any thoughts from the assembled snowed-in crowds?

D

Deleted member 2457

The Sony is the best for you then because the pioneer needs a firmware update for master audio and personally I would not trust an firmware upgrade to carry out that duty.

scene

Thanks for that - looks like I'll have to spend a few more pennies and go for the Sony then
emotion-40.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

That is the safer option also you can get it for 300 at prcdirect delivered.

I would try looking around because they price will drop soon.

D

Deleted member 2457

People around our's are driving quad bikes in the snow, now that would be quite a trip with a Sony blu ray player on the back.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

That's essentially the same machine as the LX-71 but with a smaller frame. I personally think it's ugly. The LX-71 looks so much better.

But I'd still go with the Sony though.

D

Deleted member 2457

scene:Slightly off-topic... What about a Pioneer BDP-LX08 at £350?

And you have to push your disc's in
emotion-41.gif
put that also has the master audio problem as well. I mean you could try reading the firmware update on the pioneer website and seeing what you think.

scene

Just scooched over there and read them - Just a tad scary
emotion-43.gif

Hmm... Sounds like a good way to brick your player -

"If the update does not resume, the player will need repairs. In such an event, call Pioneer Customer Support Center. "

Just what you want - I wonder if installing a firmware update yourself voids your warranty?

D

Deleted member 2457

I sounds like you quite like the pioneer blu ray player, and it is a truly fantastic player and a real bargain at that price.

Has anyone downloaded the firmare update?

I could remember once people were selling the update discs on ebay.

If you want to go for, your will not be sorrry with the quality.

Warranty wise I am not sure, i would imagine you would be covered because it's pioneer's fault it was not on their from the start.

scene

I'm torn... The Sony sounds great and am very tempted to get it, especially at £300. Just that the only things against the LX08 when reviewed were:
[*]The price - was £700, now £350[*]Profile 1.1 - Is BD-Live really that good yet?[*]No DTS-HD Master Audio decoding - and now there is an (albeit fairly scary) firmware upgrade available
And I agree, it is a bit ugly and having to push discs in sucks
emotion-41.gif

And the Sony does have WiFi and BD-Live is getting better...

Curse this indecision!

D

Deleted member 2457

First of all BD Live is a complete waste of time.

Price is fantastic for the pioneer.

Sony has the everything onboard already, to be honest I would be stuck as well.

A

Anonymous

scene:
I'm torn... The Sony sounds great and am very tempted to get it, especially at £300. Just that the only things against the LX08 when reviewed were:
[*]The price - was £700, now £350[*]Profile 1.1 - Is BD-Live really that good yet?[*]No DTS-HD Master Audio decoding - and now there is an (albeit fairly scary) firmware upgrade available
And I agree, it is a bit ugly and having to push discs in sucks
emotion-41.gif

And the Sony does have WiFi and BD-Live is getting better...

Curse this indecision!

I don't quite understand your thinking. The Sony is a brand new Profile 2 machine with all the bells and whistles AND is highly rated - you will get NO grief with this.

Yet, you want to go down the 'pathway of grief' - both the BD51FD and LX-71 were great machines in their time and are still good options in isolation - they are Profile 1.1 machines with no onboard DTS-HD MSTR decoding requiring firware updates etc, etc....

If you are dead keen on a Pioneer player, why don't you consider the new BDP-320 or LX-52 players instead?

emotion-6.gif

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

I am guessing in worked very well then?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

Alot of this will come down to sound quality of the machine then because of the analogue outputs.

Then the old pioneer's like the 08 will have the high quality wolfson DACS inside the new pioneer blu ray player does not.

scene

ValianTX:
I don't quite understand your thinking. The Sony is a brand new Profile 2 machine with all the bells and whistles AND is highly rated - you will get NO grief with this.

Yet, you want to go down the 'pathway of grief' - both the BD51FD and LX-71 were great machines in their time and are still good options in isolation - they are Profile 1.1 machines with no onboard DTS-HD MSTR decoding requiring firware updates etc, etc....

If you are dead keen on a Pioneer player, why don't you consider the new BDP-320 or LX-52 players instead?

emotion-6.gif

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

It's not that I'm dead keen on a Pioneer player (although, it would match my TV - but honestly, that's just a minor point), nor am I keen to go down the 'pathway of grief' - I have an ARCAM AVR250 with NO HDMI input and so I need analogue multichannel outputs on my player. This somewhat limits my choice and completely rules out the BDP-320 & LX-52...
emotion-6.gif

Both the BDP-S760 and the BDP-51FD fit the bill, albeit that the Pioneer will require a stroll down the firmware upgrade road. I was all set on the Sony, especially at £300 - or £315 with MR DVD, but the BDP51FD is available from RS at £200 and seems a bargain...

But is a saving of £100 enough to justify the Pioneer over the Sony?

They also have the LX08 at £350 - hence my diversion....

D

Deleted member 2457

Well the 51fd will be slow, it has a slower processing machine than the 08.

The 08 I have seen for £345.00 delivered, on ebay you can get it for £305 delivered.

How about the sound of the Sony analogue outputs anyone?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts