if you were offered a Pioneer BD-51FD for £25 today... would you take it over a £150 Pioneer BDP-450?

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Basically I've found a Pioneer BD-51FD on Gumtree for £25! and it's down the road from me. I can go and check it out tomorrow, with the chance to purchase. However is it worth me considering the far newer Pioneer BDP-450?

Both received stunning 5 Star reviews from What Hi-Fi. For me, Live features don't matter to me. I just want a quiet machine, my current Panasonic DMPBDT220 isn't exactly a bad player, but it can get noisey. As the build quality isn't exactly great. Does anyone know which of the Pioneer players produces the better picture and sound?

Any help would be much appreciated.

For blu ray picture quality, I haven't noticed any difference between different players. Pioneer BD-51FD was launched in 2008 and was Profile 1.0.

http://www.techradar.com/news/video/blu-ray/explained-blu-ray-1-0-vs-1-1-vs-2-0-370410

It will be very slow to load discs. Also, unlike DVDs, blu ray players need regular firmware updates to ensure latest discs are playable. Considering that it's 7 years old, and also the fact that Pioneer has exited AV business, you're pretty much guaranteed that no more updates will be forthcoming. I would avoid it.

bigboss said:
For blu ray picture quality, I haven't noticed any difference between different players. Pioneer BD-51FD was launched in 2008 and was Profile 1.0.

http://www.techradar.com/news/video/blu-ray/explained-blu-ray-1-0-vs-1-1...

It will be very slow to load discs. Also, unlike DVDs, blu ray players need regular firmware updates to ensure latest discs are playable. Considering that it's 7 years old, and also the fact that Pioneer has exited AV business, you're pretty much guaranteed that no more updates will be forthcoming. I would avoid it.

Link enabled for you.

Pioneer 450 is a good option. What's your maximum budget?

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I hadn't actually looked into it much, I just saw the 51FD for that price, remembering it was out of my price range before, so thought I'd take the punt. I don't really want to spend more than £200. My current Panasonic was £150ish in 2012, won Budget player of the year then.

abacus

The 450 plays virtually any disc you throw at it, has great build and top notch picture quality, however it has very few apps on-board but is DLNA compliant. (It’s also almost as fast at loading CDs as a dedicated CD player)

One point to remember is that it has no analogue outputs so you will need an AV Receiver, DAC equipped Amplifier, HDMI equipped TV or external DAC to use it for sound. (It also has 2 HDMI outputs so you can use a TV & Projector simultaneously)

Hope this helps

Bill

D

Deleted member 2457

I would and have bought the Samsung f7500 Blu-Ray player, you might be able to get an ex-diasplay one really cheap. I paid £95 out of John Lewis and it's brilliant. It replaced my Pioneer BDP-LX71 and I have owned the Pioneer 55 Blu-Ray player but that was unreliable. The 71 was slow to load discs and the 55 wouldn't play some discs. The LG does everything, loads quick and is quiet, 3D with two HDMI outputs, 4K upscaling too. The LG is a bargain!

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure i would go for the pioneer 450 with all the bad user experiences, main problems seem to be noisy mech and lip sync issues, that would put me off.

I have moved my BDP-LX70a to my second lounge and am looking for a replacement for my main lounge, TBH the only contenders seem to be denon,marantz and oppo, pioneer seem to have gone down hill since there real players ie lx91,71 and 70a.

Not sure if its just me but players these days just look cheap and worthless, not like the older players that were built like tanks and looked like quality pieces of equiptment.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
MickyBlue said:
I'm not sure i would go for the pioneer 450 with all the bad user experiences, main problems seem to be noisy mech and lip sync issues, that would put me off.

I have moved my BDP-LX70a to my second lounge and am looking for a replacement for my main lounge, TBH the only contenders seem to be denon,marantz and oppo, pioneer seem to have gone down hill since there real players ie lx91,71 and 70a.

Not sure if its just me but players these days just look cheap and worthless, not like the older players that were built like tanks and looked like quality pieces of equiptment.

have you looked at the Denon 3313?

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
yes, im more inclined to go for the oppo tbh, although i have been a lover of denon products for a long time i personally feel oppo have the edge at the moment.

gel said:
I would and have bought the Samsung f7500 Blu-Ray player, you might be able to get an ex-diasplay one really cheap.  I paid £95 out of John Lewis and it's brilliant.  It replaced my Pioneer BDP-LX71 and I have owned the Pioneer 55 Blu-Ray player but that was unreliable.  The 71 was slow to load discs and the 55 wouldn't play some discs.  The LG does everything, loads quick and is quiet, 3D with two HDMI outputs, 4K upscaling too.  The LG is a bargain!  

You mean Samsung, not LG! :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts