Sony BDP-S550 - DD EX decode issue

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've a decode issue that hopefully someone has got some suggestions for ...

I've got the 550 connected to a Sony 2400ES amp. - HDMI (1.3), audio set to Direct, HDMI as priority, etc. I've got a 6.1 setup.

When I slot in a SD DVD such as Blade II, if I select the DTS ES track, the amp. says it's DTS ES, and the surround is fine. However, if I select the DD EX track, the amp. says that it's just receiving DD 5.1.

I slotted in SW - Revenge of the Sith, to check that one. When I play the movie, the THX logo is being indicated on the amp. as Dolby D EX, but then the film kicks in and the amp. shows DD 5.1
thumbdown.gif

Pressing Display on the 550 during the THX logo shows Dolgby Digital 3/2.1, and the same during the film.

I'm assuming that it's the 550 at 'fault' here, given that the amp. correctly handles the THX logo, but ...

Any suggestions ?
please.gif

Can someone try the same film on their 550, and see if they've the same problem ?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Maybe the movie soundtrack wasn't recorded with a discrete surround back channel, but with the rear surround matrixed into the surround left/right channels.

You probably need to force the Sony receiver into one of its Digital Cinema EX modes - see manual pages 58-9.

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
Shouldn't be the player, I decode my 550 through a Pioneer AX3, when I watch a SD DVD i turn the settings onto Coaxial/Optical and I get the Digital Ex on the reciever......watched Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (i know very sad, but the girlfirend wanted too...) but the ex displayed....hmm have you got the reciever tuned to 6.1 or 7.1 speakers???

A

Anonymous

I might try connecting an optical to the amp. and seeing if I get DD EX, as I only use HDMI bitstream at the moment. I've got the receiver setup as speaker pattern 6.1 (3/3.1).

Actually, when I set the receiver pattern to 7.1, I get sound from the rear. The amp. still says DD 5.1, but the sound is obviously being matrixed across the rear.

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
Receiver pattern? is that when you set the settings on the Auto Calibration with the mic? In the Caliration set-up, are the speakers set to 7.1? Or is it still set-up in 5.1 mode. Do the lights in the LED display 5.1 speakers without the mid centre/back? when Blade 2 was playing?

TRENDING THREADS