best audio setting for yamaha rx-v677

njones

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
hi, i bought a yamaha rx-v677 amp along with monitor audio mass 5.1 speaker system. but i just wondering what is the best setup i can have when playing music via spotify, iphone, ipad, etc. also while watching movies.

i use to have a sony surround sound system and had the settings on dts, and the surround sound effects were amazing. but at the moment i carn't seem to get the same affect on the new amp and speakers. i'm not that clued up on the new setups. i've tried the different sounds like neo 6 cinema, and music. also ddpL movie and music. but it's a bit over my head all the different setting there is. i know half the fun is finding what is best suited to my taste by trying different settings.

it says it has dts hd master audio, true hd dts. but i just carn't find it. i put a blu-ray disc on that has dts in it's audio and when i click on the dts in the menu in the dvd, nothing is displayed on the amp that shows its playing in dts, just neo 6, or ddpl.

so as i said i'm not the greatest when it coming to thinks like this. i just wondering what i'm not doing right. and again how to get the best sound i can for music and movies. your help would would be appreciated thanks.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Use the auto setup and microphone for best guess and tweak from there. Make sure your bluray is setto output bitstream not PCM through hdmi cable - that should sort the DTS master audio etc.

Start with most processing off using 'straight' or 'direct' before playing with any neo6 or whatever.

Check distances and levels manually to make sure the auto setup is spot on.

Then look at the front/small setting (otherwise bass wont go to the sub). Crossover probably best at around 100hz but experiment or check the speaker manual.

If all sounds a bit better - settle in for a few weeks and then experiment with manual in one hand and a pint in the other.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I use 9 channel stereo to listen to music, but with just the fronts and rears in use, no centre. It can be complicated, but the sound I get is head and shoulders over the rest for sound quality IMO.

jerryapril

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
For music / Spotify, turn the Enhancer on because the source / Spotify is a compressed stream and a Stereo on to listen to 5.1 stereo - stereo from all speakers.

If you are not sure, always turn Straight on and receiver will do it for you - both music and movies.

For a compressed music, it is a Straight or Stereo. Pure Direct would disable the Enhancer.

Straight reproduces the source without any receiver decoding on its side. Pure Direct is best for CD / SACD / BD music.

For movies, Straight or Pure Direct will reproduce the original source code.

All these functions are on your remote.

Read the manual to experiment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts