Sony BDP-S5000ES

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I have seen the Sony S5000ES priced at £700, instead of usual £1,100. It is a couple of years old now so, ignoring 3D which I am not interested in, how does it stack up against the lastest Blu Ray players at this price??

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Very well, and I believe hyperfi have this for sale at £599, if they still have them.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies. Any other views out there? I see from this month's mag that the Sony still comes in as the recommended high end player. Wonder how it compares to the Cambridge Audio 2010 Award winner?

Paul

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
PaulF:
Thanks for the replies. Any other views out there? I see from this month's mag that the Sony still comes in as the recommended high end player. Wonder how it compares to the Cambridge Audio 2010 Award winner?

Paul

Stop wondering. Just buy it - this is an excellent player and at £599.00, it is fantastic value.

A

Anonymous

Ronald Archiebald:PaulF:

Paul

Stop wondering. Just buy it - this is an excellent player and at £599.00, it is fantastic value.

I agree 100% with Ronald on this one, BTW if I had not just committed to a new set of front speakers, I would have bought one of these.

A

Anonymous

My wife is going to hate you - shamed into action, delivery is expected next Tuesday. Hooray!!!

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
PaulF:My wife is going to hate you - shamed into action, delivery is expected next Tuesday. Hooray!!!

Well done
emotion-21.gif

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
markjaspi:Ronald Archiebald:PaulF:

Paul

I agree 100% with Ronald on this one, BTW if I had not just committed to a new set of front speakers, I would have bought one of these.

If I did not have my Denon, I would have bought one myself too!

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
PaulF:My wife is going to hate you - shamed into action, delivery is expected next Tuesday. Hooray!!!

Still contemplating buying this.

Can you let us all know what you think. Especially the audiophile / cd playback capabilitys.

I keep re-reading September 2010,s WHF "Big Question" article and its sowing the seed of doubt in my head.

I already own the 370 Budget player so would welcome your feedback.

Did you get it from HyperFi for the bargain price ?

A

Anonymous

Yup, Hyperfi and great price £599. I am not into music, but want good DVD upscaler and obviously blu ray. Very keen to have quality audio for sound track. Really looking forward to it! Will let you know once I have run it in a bit.

Paul

A

Anonymous

B&W MT30, Onkyo 875 and Sony 46"X4500. The early version PS3 was my blu ray and was the weak link I think (although still pretty good).

Not sure about stock at Hyperfi but they were very helpful when I spoke to them...

A

Anonymous

Hi

Not yet, delivery will be Friday (I missed the first courier drop off). Will let you know what I think when I have plugged it in...

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Ronald Archiebald:markjaspi:Ronald Archiebald:PaulF:

Paul

If I did not have my Denon, I would have bought one myself too!

Same here Ronald, the sony is the player especially at that price i'd be curious in if i did'nt have the Denon.

I,d like to know what the PQ and AQ is like with the sony compared to the Denon? Mind you from what "i've" seen so far the Denon is still tops for both AQ and PQ.

Good luck with it Paul im sure you wont be disappointed with it.

alanfernie

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
I know this is way out of date for this paricular thread but I have a BDP-S5000ES and some information that may be useful to somebody considering buying one. I don't have any gripes about the playback quality, which has been top notch, till now. I bought mine 1year 10months ago. It sits in a dedicated cinema room, gets used at weekends to watch 2 or 3 films and is kept snug in a Spectral AV stand. So you can imagine my surprise when it went tits up this week and stopped playing Blu-Rays. It will still play DVD. I have 2 far cheaper and older Blu-Ray players, used far more often, that are chugging along fine. After speaking to SSAV and Sony it turns out that even though it cost £900, it still only has a 1year warranty. So chances are I'm probably looking at a nice repair bill. I've checked all the usual suspects, firmwear factory resets etc. The point of the thread though, is to let you know that even at reduced prices, there may be better options. Especially as the guy from SSAV tells me that it's only Sony and the more mainstream makes that have a 1year warranty. So next time I spend nearly a grand on a Blu-ray, I'll make sure it's a Pioneer, Denon or some other perceived quality brand.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I would say, under the Sales of Goods Act, you are entitled to get this repaired or replaced by Sevenoaks as you would expect a Blu-ray player at that price to have a longer shelf life than just under 2 years.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Definitely !!! 2 years is not long enough. I can't believe they still try to fob people off with the old 1 year thing.

Have you tried Sony ?

When my TV screen went, Play.com were terrible but Samsung were awesome. Although it's retailers responsibility, manufacturers can be great.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I've had mine for about a year now, and it has been used 6 days out of 7 every week, sometimes one film, sometimes two, or even three (yes, I watch a lot of films :)), and other than the odd glitch on a couple of LoveFilm discs, it's worked faultlessly.

Unfortunately, whether a product is £100 or £10,000, anything is prone to breakdown. Even well built/expensive/high end (call them what you will) products use some standard components somewhere along the line, and standard components are more prone to breaking down than anything, especially in this cost-cutting world we live in today. As an example, I had a £4k Tag processor that failed within a week of purchase...

I'm not saying it's something you should expect as a matter of course, just something that is possible.

alanfernie

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts. Like I said, I've had no complaint with this machine up till now. The problem is with the warranty. I've had a frustrating conversation with both SSAV and Sony today and got nowhere. I think that somebody forking out big bucks for a component should expect a warranty that reflects the outlay. I've purchased quite a bit expensive kit from a 60" Pioneer TV to my Cyrus set up. None of it came with less than a 3 year warranty and most was 5 years.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Assuming it's been used Zooey for the purpose intended, no way is 2 years good enough. I'd contact SSAV and mention SOGA, or contact this lot. Govt helpline.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/UsefulContactsByCategory/Governmentcitizensandrightscontacts/DG_195948

KiwiMoto

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear your BDP gave up the ghost,but you should have been been aware that the warranty period was only 1 year back at the time of purchase.Of course extended warrantys are always an option also...
It is not commercially viable to fix everything for everyone,else we'd all end up paying way more for our electronic gear!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts