Sony BDP-S370 & Zero Dark Thirty blu-ray

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Posting in this section but don't know if it's player or TV (Sony KDL-40EX603) Both are running latest software versions

When I try to play the Zero Dark Thirty blu-ray at precisely 2 minutes and 10 seconds into the film the TV switches off. Tried playing the blu-ray 5 times and same thing every time. The blu-ray itself is a rental from Blockbuster but I don't think it is the problem as it looks like a pretty new disk in very good condition which hasn't got any marks or scratches on the playing surface, I just don't have any other players in the house to test with.

I know the chances of someone out there with this TV/player combo also having tried to play the same blu-ray are slim but you never know. In the meantime I have emailed Sony support and if there's anyone out there with any pearls of wisdom please chip in

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like might be some form of over active copy protection kicking in, if you are saying it happens at the same point of the film each time.

I have never tried any rental discs myself so I may be wrong.

As always with this type of problem, have you checked all the menu settings on both your tv and blu-ray player.

If you really want to watch this film then you can pick up one on Amazon for under £10.

Hope this helps

:)

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
All of my blu-rays play without any problem. I watched The Dark Knight straight afterwards.

macdidddy, sorry I'm not grasping your logic. I really did want to see the film which is why I've rented it from Blockbuster. Why would I want to buy the same blu-ray from Amazon with no guarantee it won't do exactly the same thing and then having to go through the hassle of trying to return it to Amazon?

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I didn't mean to cause offensive with my suggestion.

Its just that I have never heard of, or have had this problem happen to me with all the discs I have brought through Amazon, HMV etc including my copy of Zero Dark Thirty.

What I meant was that sometimes there can be differences between rental copies and the final retail version hence my going down the copy protection route.

Once again sorry.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
macdiddy said:
Sorry, I didn't mean to cause offensive with my suggestion.

Its just that I have never heard of, or have had this problem happen to me with all the discs I have brought through Amazon, HMV etc including my copy of Zero Dark Thirty.

What I meant was that sometimes there can be differences between rental copies and the final retail version hence my going down the copy protection route.

Once again sorry.

I would not take any notice of this advice.

A rental copy or a retailer copy - won't make any difference - it is a film on a Blu Ray disc. The same film produced and manufactured the same way.

I had issues with my 370 on certain discs (mainly freezing) but I have never had a disc shut everything down before. Very strange !

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
psurquhart said:

A rental copy or a retailer copy - won't make any difference - it is a film on a Blu Ray disc. The same film produced and manufactured the same way.

I had issues with my 370 on certain discs (mainly freezing) but I have never had a disc shut everything down before. Very strange !

Whre are the libel lawyers when you need one? I'm pretty certain that mcdiddy did NOT write the text above, despite its appearance within the quotation in psurquhart's post.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
psurquhart said:

Whre are the libel lawyers when you need one? I'm pretty certain that mcdiddy did NOT write the text above, despite its appearance within the quotation in psurquhart's post.

Not too sure what happened their, libelous indeed however the advice is still correct !

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
OK, to steer this post back on track Sony support have ever so helpfully advised that it MUST be the blu-ray at fault here and not their TV or blu-ray player. In the midst of all this Blockbuster by post has ceased trading so I've now signed up with Lovefilm and will rent a copy of the blu-ray from them. I'll update this post when I've received it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts