Sony Announced Playstation Now

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
For those interested in backwards compatibility on PS4 + ability to play games on other Sony devices. And not, just really old games either - Naughty Dog's The Last of Us and Quantic Dream's Beyond: Two Souls have been confirmed.

Link

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Seemed interesting at first until I read it's yet another subscription service...I will keep my PS3 thanks and be able to play those games without subscription especially as the dearth of PS4 games means my PS3 is still getting plenty of use, infact I still use it more than the PS4.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yes, pluses and minuses to a subscription service - clearly if you still have all the older consoles, then this won't bring much benefit to you.

Remember though, this will bring games from all the previous Playstation models, not just the PS3 - useful if you want to hark back to the days of the original WipEout, Ridge Racer, Resident Evil or Fade to Black. Also, it will be available to a whole host of Sony devices - allowing you to game on the move with your Vita / Xperia phone / tablet, and on some of the TVs as well, on the same subscription and without a console (though you do need the DualShock 3 or 4 controller).

Will need to see how much it is, but this represents the first step of gaming following the current trend of subscription streaming services, like we're seeing with music and TV / films.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
I guess my main problem with the service is that I've already shelled out for a PS3 and 30 odd games, bought a PS4 and 6 games and then payed for a PS + subscription to be able to play games online and also bought a PS Vita and 8 games so for Sony to then want another subscription on top of that which I will only get to use on those consoles seems a bit much to me.

I completely see your point about being able to play classic PS1 and PS2 games and it's true some gems could be available to play but it's simply not a big enough draw for me and only the prospect of a discount for PS+ members would even get me interested. Of course it's the fee that will make or break the service so I will be interested to see just how much you have to pay for the privelage.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Oldboy said:
I guess my main problem with the service is that I've already shelled out for a PS3 and 30 odd games, bought a PS4 and 6 games and then payed for a PS + subscription to be able to play games online and also bought a PS Vita and 8 games so for Sony to then want another subscription on top of that which I will only get to use on those consoles seems a bit much to me.

I see your point of view, but in many ways, I don't think you're the target audience for it. As an example, my PS3 died a few months ago - it was a UK day one edition, so had a good innings considering how much I used it. I now face the prospect of buying a new one (or a secondhand one maybe) to play my current PS3 games. However, I think £200 is too much, especially since the PS4 is keeping me busy for the moment, and I've heard a rumour that a price cut is fairly imminent for the PS3 as well.

If Playstation Now was available now, I might consider that instead (if the price was competitive and the titles I wanted present of course). And don't forget the many, many people who own Sony kit, but don't own any of the current Playstations. Again, this might be a cheap way to give the kids something to play in the lounge and on the phone / tablet on long car journeys etc., whilst also providing them a nostalgic blast of old PS1 and PS2 games, and the ability to try out some of the latest PS3 games to boot.

Oldboy said:
only the prospect of a discount for PS+ members would even get me interested.

Yes, will definitely be interesting to see if there is a combined value subscription i.e. so you get both services for cheaper than buying them individually, or something similar.

TRENDING THREADS