Sony 40W3000, Samsung 40F86 or Pana 42PZ70?

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
You need November's 42" group test really.

In order from memory:

1. Panasonic PZ700

2. Sony 40W3000

3. Samsung 40F86

Note that with a full HD panel any SD aerial feed will drop in quality when displayed due to the interpolation needed to make it full screen. However the trade off is for ultimate detail with HD sources. There is a difference set to set on this as its dependant on indvivual manufacturers electronics / software.

PS the best panel was the Pioneer 428XD but I'm guessing this is outside of your budget due to the fact it doesn't get a mention. It is overpriced in my opinion, but there are some bargains to be had if you look around. The January sales were kind to me in this regard so I finished up with one after having resigned myself to buying the Panny on value for money grounds.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Alsone- So the PZ700 over the PZ70? Heard that the higher contrast makes the PZ70 better then the PZ700 (as mentioned elsewhere in the forum)....

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
I think it's generally agreed that the PZ70 is just as good, if not bettter, than the PZ700, especially for the money. The PZ70 has a slightly better contrast ratio and definitely accepts 1080p24 (converts it to 60hz internally) but loses a HDMI port (it only has 2 as opposed to 3 on the PZ700) and has an inferior sound system. Although, with the money you save by getting it over the PZ700, you could just go out and buy a dedicated surround sound system.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="KC1976"]

Thanks Alsone- So the PZ700 over the PZ70? Heard that the higher contrast makes the PZ70 better then the PZ700 (as mentioned elsewhere in the forum)....

[/quote]

That was a typing error as I meant to answer specifically to your question ie the 70.

I couldn't comment on whether or not there's any visible improvement in contrast between the two sets. As you say, Panasonic claim the PZ70 has higher contrast.

I guess between the 70 and 700 it just comes down to whether or not you prefer higher contrast (if visible) or better sound / more connections.

The PZ70 was a 5 star product in the Nov test by the way.

A

Anonymous

I completely agree with Fuzzy. I had virtually the same shortlist when I was getting my TV before Christmas and I went for the PZ70 as the others simply couldn't compare with the black levels and overall gorgeousness of the PZ70. Haven't regretted it for a moment. I use Sky HD, PS3 (inc Blu-ray), and Wii with mine and it works great with all of them.

I was actually a little puzzled that WHF used the PZ700 in that group test rather than the PZ70, considering the PZ70 is newer, cheaper, and in many ways better than the 700 anyway (sound and connectivity aside - which you could easily overcome with a half decent HDMI amp and probably still have spare cash left over).

A

Anonymous

Alsone,

If you do not mind me asking. Where did you end up buying your PDP428 from and how much was it. Di it come with the pedestal stand and the 5 year warranty ?

I am ready to buy and the best yet is £1599 complete and installed.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Iang27

To be honest it wasn't quite as simple as the tv alone.

I got a good deal on a range of things from 2 different shops all of which meant that in the end the Pioneer was both better value and within budget reach.

I paid £1,690 for the Pioneer from a reputable dealer but that included a free Vivanco Tilt adjustable bracket (15 degrees up and down) and a free 5 year Warranty. Add those together and the TV alone comes in at around the same as the Panny's. Whether or not I'd have bought a warranty seperately is debateable but its definately worth having.

I also got a good deal on my electronics, I paid £1,434 but got:

1. KEF 3500 SE Speaker Package in gloss black

2. Onkyo 605 Amp in silver

3. QED Qunex HDMI-P 1m

4. QED Qunex HDMI-P 2m

3. QED Sub Cable 3m

4. QED Optical Cable 3m

5. 25 metres of QED Silver Aniversary XT

6. 10 gold plated plugs

Effectively I got the cabling for free which added up to around £300.

I also bought a silver Denon 1940 DVD from the same shop as the TV for £200 and a TTP 1050mm 3 tier AV stand in smoked glass for the electronics from John Lewis for £100. Unknown brand to me but it seems good enough quality and weighs a ton (well 34 kgs to be exact).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Alsone,

Bet the shop loved you, buying all that kit !

The best price that I have been offered for the Pioneer 428XD is £1599 with the pedestal stand and 5 year warranty(Manufacturers until 31st jan)

On the 4280XD the best price is £1380 with the 5 year warranty but I would have to drive 150 miles to pick it up to qualify for the 5 year warranty from Pioneer, if they deliver the set it only comes with a 1 year warranty ??? Total price would be about £1450 after fuel costs etc.

Is the 428 £150/£200 better than the 4280 or should I save the extra cash and go for the 4280XD ?

What do you think of the Kef 3005SE speakers, I am tempted by them. I currently have the 5 Kef 2005 silver models that I was going to sell, a local dealer offered me £50 each for them in p/ex against the 3005's along with £50 for the 2 stands.Do not know what he is charging for the 3005's though or if they are SE'S or not.

I do not need the sub so would just need the 4 surround speakers and the centre speaker, best price ???

Cheers

matthewpiano

If you can afford it, and want a plasma, go for the Pioneer. Its awesome and probably the best picture quality available. Don't completely reject the 40W3000 though. Its very capable with HD material and the Sony makes a very good job of displaying freeview SD material as well.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Iang27,

Personally I'd buy the 428XD over the 4280XD simply because of the PIP feature. I often watch one channel whilst waiting for something to come on, on another. PIP (picture in picture) saves you flicking about.

I think the main differences are PIP, more connections, the auto light level adjustment (the tv adjust according to the level of ambient light) and the ability to adjust the picture further (professional adjustment - although I'd never use this).

You need to check with the Pioneer web site for the exact differences though.

The reason why you have to travel to get the warranty is that its a condition that the dealer has demonstrated the set in store. Note the warranty offer is only until the 31st Jan so not long now.

I could have found a cheaper price but I was confortable buying where I did as they're a highly reputable store that I've dealt with for over 10 years. The bracket and warranty swung me along with the knowledge that I was saving over £300 on the cabling in the other deal. Otherwise it would have been the Panny.

I haven't got my system set up yet due to a few installation delays, however in the shop the 3500Se's sounded very clear. The non Se's are a lot cheaper around 1/2 the price but What HiFi say they're not as good. Without listening to them both side by side I couldn't really comment.

As for buying the speakers without the sub you'd have to look around but it could work out expensive. When sold together they come as a boxed package and often this is cheaper than buying them seperately as distinct speakers.

PS If you get the 3500's consider gloss black they're beautiful and match the 428. I got black speakers, black av stand then silver electronics and I think it looks great together. The black of speakers, screen and av stand compliment each other and the silver electronics just lift the blackness a little to give a touch of class.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts